Dometic CFX28 Wiring Help

Hey, I just hard wired my CFX28 by cutting off the cigarette plug. I ran 10 guage wire straight to the battery with an inline 10amp fuse. The problem I'm finding is that when the truck is off, the fridge will try to cycle the compressor and shut itself off. The orange light will come on and the temp will continue to increase until I start my truck again.

I have a dual battery system (1 red top optima- starting battery and 1- yellow top optima- house battery) When I tested them last night, both batteries were at 12.3v. I have a blue sea fuse panel hooked up to the yellow top but I skipped that because I was having the same issue with the fridge not staying cold. Right now the fridge is wiring using 50' of 10 guage wire because the fridge will eventually make it into the bed of the truck rather than the back seat where it is now. Don;t want to cut the wire when I'm going to have to rewire when my camper is built.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
50' is way too long. calculate the voltage drop on that. Cut your wire
down to about 15' and you will have no issues.

I ended up cutting down the wire and soldering all the connectors. It seems to have fixed the problem. I guess I'll have to see how it's going work when I add ten+ feet to the wiring when the fridge makes it into the bed of the truck.

Thanks for the help guys.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You might be surprised at how short the wiring actually ends up in the truck bed... However, I still ran 8 awg to the back of the Jeep before tying in. Those who claim that you can "over wire" a fridge are over thinking it. most of the cost was in your time, and cables can degrade, so running larger makes sense.

Ran the fridge all weekend and it worked perfect. Such a great purchase. I'm thinking the wiring into the bed will end up being about 5' longer than it it now since I had to do some crazy routing to get it to stay hidden in the cab. Shouldn't be an issue. If it is, I'll upgrade to 8 AWG

You might be surprised at how short the wiring actually ends up in the truck bed... However, I still ran 8 awg to the back of the Jeep before tying in. Those who claim that you can "over wire" a fridge are over thinking it. most of the cost was in your time, and cables can degrade, so running larger makes sense.

You were correct. I think I only added about a foot to the wiring to mount it to the back of my bed. It still works perfect with no additional mods to the wiring size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles