Dometic Fridge, Advice Needed

emyers

I've got a Dometic CFX65 fridge that is experiencing temperature control problems and I need some expert advice. I thought the thermistor was the issue because they're known failing and ordered a new one. It was reading really high and the compressor would never turn off. While dissembling the unit I noticed some corrosion around the compressor fittings and would love some opinions on whether or not the corrosion could be the problem or if this will turn into a bigger issue over time. 20220519_175312.jpg20220519_175402.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Advice is remove Dometic fridge and replace with another brand ASAP and dont waste $ on it.

I went through 2 of them in a brand new FWC and 3 other friends with Dometics have all had issues.

They have their little cult following because of marketing, but they are horribly unreliable

My .02

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I had a Norcold (Dometic), two door refrigerator. By the time I bought the camper, the thermostat and the cooling unit had been replaced at least once. I then replaced the thermostat myself, at least once. Always at an authorized Dometic dealer. When the unit failed again, I contacted Dometic directly. They were apologetic and authorized a complete replacement and covered the (considerable) cost of install. (Unit is too big for the door, has to come in the skylight. :( )

When THAT unit failed, I bought a NovaKool and, with help, replaced the Dometic.

Two years later the NovaKool continues to run perfectly. Interesting that the cooling unit was exactly the same on each refrigerator - the Norcold put it behind the box, the NovaKool put it under the box.

I would buy a NovaKool and and add ventilation fan(s) as needed.

As always, caveat emptor and YMMV.

ExpoMike

I replaced my Norcold (Dometic) fridge in my FWC with a NovaKool and it worked great for the 3-4 years I had that rig. I currently have another NovaKool sitting in the box, going into my current build. Been very happy with them!

I’ve posted about my troubles with Dometic products in the Camping forum. Don’t get me started on their RV products. Support for their portable units is almost non-existent in the US. When the upper control unit on my CFX75DZ stopped working properly (older model, not the trouble prone CFX3) they finally just sent me links for two domestic parts suppliers, neither of which knew anything about these units. I‘m waiting for a new board coming from Allvolts of Australia ?. These parts are frequently cross-referenced with WAECO items. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior