Dometic using AC power?

ohmyback

I noticed that when you buy a Dometic cooler style fridge the unit only comes with the DC cord.
If you wanted the capability to also use at home using AC power are you required to buy the $100 dollar plus
adapter that is available from them? Looking at the 40CT size. Thank you.

john61ct

Adventurer
Any 12V power supply putting out the right volts and rated for say 10A should be fine.

Just watch polarity.

ohmyback

I emailed them today about the CF40 and they said DC cord only.
I am kinda confused because the pic shows both the sockets.
Their amazon account in the question section say you need the adapter to plug in AC.
But to be fair the questions are lumped together with the smaller units also.
Think I need to contact them and be more clear.
Thank you for the replies.

john61ct

Adventurer
I dunno these models, but to me it seems silly for the AC-to-DC transformer to be built in, add to the cost complexity and heat load.

Look at all our DC devices that require a "charger" little wall wart. Cheap as chips.

My big peeve is that they don't just standardize on the tip size, say DC5521 and polarity. Ideally also on nominal 12V.

Then only one cheap transformer for everything, only wattage needs to vary.

But that would make too much sense.

JK47

My CFX-40W came with AC and DC cords, maybe that helps explain some of the cost differnece between the CFX and CF series.

ohmyback

I dunno these models, but to me it seems silly for the AC-to-DC transformer to be built in, add to the cost complexity and heat load.

Look at all our DC devices that require a "charger" little wall wart. Cheap as chips.

My big peeve is that they don't just standardize on the tip size, say DC5521 and polarity. Ideally also on nominal 12V.

Then only one cheap transformer for everything, only wattage needs to vary.

But that would make too much sense.

Yes, kinda like how all the cell phone manufactures were supposed to standardize their charger inputs.
Thank did not last long.

ohmyback

I did receive an email back from Dometic. On the model I am looking at only an additional cord
is needed. No need for their external transformer.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The smaller Dometic fridges are 12v only and do not have a 120vAC transformer built in. My first fridge was a 19qt dometic and it only took 12v. I bought a generic 120v - to 12v adapter and it did not work because it did not put out enough amps on 12v. I ended up buying the Dometic adapter for about $75.00. Lesson learned, I only saved about $100 on the smaller Dometic fridge over a much bigger, more usable 41qt TruckFridge (that like all the bigger fridges, will run off of both 120vAC and 12vDC.)

john61ct

Adventurer
The "universal" PC transformers go up to 60-70W some even 90, very cheap.

Easy to rig a connector, just test the polarity first.

hoser

Explorer
The CF series came in two versions, the AC/DC and the DC only (CF-40DC). I kinda prefer the DC version as it keeps the converter outside for more airspace/cooling. Easier to troubleshoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles