Donahoe UCA's and LT Coilovers

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Donahoe UCA

uca_550.jpg

I was waiting on Donahoe UCA's to come out to start researching my front suspension system.

Anyone using them? They sure are purdy...lol...do they come in black?

Anyways coupled with the extended travel coil-overs would I need to go with glass front fenders?

7wt

Expedition Leader
The glass fenders are only for the long travel kits like the Total Chaos set. Donahoes uppers work just like Camburgs and Allpro's in that they are the same length. They are just designed to droop a little more.

flyingwil

Do you know if Wheelers is selling them yet? Or are they a special order direct?

flyingwil

Willman said:
Wil.....Hope your money tree is big this year!!!! Those loooook pretty $$$$$$!

I can not even source these to figure out the price... rumor has it $900 ish!:violent-smiley-031:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Donahoe UCA's

Here is a pic I took of them at the Expo, these are for the FJ but as you can see these have a huge BLING factor and are rumored to be a grand EACH or something... :Wow1:

DR.jpg

flyingwil

05TACODOC said:
Here is a pic I took of them at the Expo, these are for the FJ but as you can see these have a huge BLING factor and are rumored to be a grand EACH or something... :Wow1:

DR.jpg

Donahoe's post on TTORA states that they are only sold in pairs. I have yet to source them.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Donahoes are great!
I ran the extended DR's without the upper arm. It works great. Never had a problem and that truck saw the baja 500 course 4 or 5 times along with countless others.
Please don't quote me because a lot of good people make money off of them, but all of the upper arms on the market do very little. I love the new DR ones for looks factor, but don't expect much especially for all of us expedition type people.
I might get a pair for my 4runner just to have the whole package, but truth be told all of the engineers used to... have a hard time reasoning what the upper arms did... if you know what I mean.
:rockon: :ylsmoke:
I'm not trying to discourage, but this website seems to be a small community that isn't into hype, but instead what works best, unlike some of the other ones so I thought I'd share this here instead of ttora, race-dezert, dezertrangers, yotatech etc. :lurk:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
thread digger...

Wil,

I'm pretty sure DO has already installed a few of these...And yes they are really really really expensive.

Here's why:
1. Billet Aluminum
2. Recessed & covered uniball
3. They eliminate the poly bushings and replace with heims (no squeaks)
4. They are adjustable (like the lower control arm)
5. They use custom teflon bearings to further fight squeaks

what he said.

these go one step beyond the camburg and total chaos offerings by protecting the uniball from debris, and minimizing rotating resistance around the mounting bolt by using heims.

the old style, the sort that used the stock upper ball joint, didnt really do anything other than they were lower profile so a wider section could be run without spacing out the tires. it was rare if they really did correct caster for lifted vehicles, but that was often a selling point--the target was owners with lifts, not owners who needed travel.

single-shear uniball designs allow more droop than the stock upper ball joint, and provide a much stronger joint. unfortunately, if the uniball is left as the droop limiter, it passes the stress to the spindle, which will eventually break from fatigue loading. swayaway/camburg and donahoe both provide coilover kits which use the additional downtravel--about four inches--available with the uniball joint but limit travel at the coilover before the joint hangs.

4" might not sound like much, but when stock is only 6", it's a world of difference going to 10. of course, there is no benefit to the uniball upper control arm if the vehicle is not equipped with suspension capable of using the additional travel.

theyre expensive because theyre a small run of custom machined parts--the arm and the cover. for the money, if you have the shocks to use the uniball, the camburgs are a much better deal as long as they have a grease fitting. if not, it's easy to add one. btw "shock to use the uniballs" means pushing an 8" shaft and running strap-limited. it takes longer to set up but has a lot of benefit, including to people in the expedition community.

-sean

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94