Double cab pros?

Lwing

Hi there,
Figure this is probably the place to ask. Have caught the bug to build. Atracted to the double cabs and haven't been able to find as much info as the single cabs. What I'm most interested is in the maintainance. If the cab doesn't tilt, how much modification to the cab interior can be done? How much access is needed and how? Kids are getting older, they'll be gone in a few years. If I eventually build center console , bucket seats and in a few years remove rear seats and build storage how am I screwing up access for maintainance? I haven't even seen a double cab.
I just tracked down a earth cruiser that was passing through at the local coffee shop and had a good chat with them and how happy they are.
Another reason interested in double cab as I'm 6'4" and get pretty uncomfortable not being able to stretch my legs in most vehicles,,,, thinking a bucket seat mod slid back a few inches?
Input appreciated
Thanks

Sixinarow

Adventurer
4x4 crew cabs are not available for the North American market. I'm going to build a passenger cab for my future FG.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As Sixinarow has stated, it might be a mute point asking these questions if you cannot get a crew cab in your neck of the woods.
As to tilting the cab... I have heard that you can install a hydraulic lift mechanism, as the front cab mounts are exactly the same as the normal cab. You would also have to design new mounts for the rear, but I do not see that as a major issue.

Lwing

I guess I should clarify that they are avaliable to import to Canada. Still interested in opinions.
Thanks

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I guess I should clarify that they are avaliable to import to Canada. Still interested in opinions.
Thanks

Well, I stand corrected! I should edit my previous reply to say they're not available to the US market.

That's awesome if they're available to import to Canada.

Decanter

Adventurer
I'm 6'4 and comfortable in the stock configuration. Even more comfortable in new seats. Have you sat or driven in a standard cab?

Good news on importing into Canada! I'm sure a few Americans are currently working on how to import one from there.

Lwing

No I haven't sat in one yet. I'm fine for about an hour sitting, after that my legs need full 100% extension. Still consider the double cab for availability to seat four comfortably with upgraded seats. Or single cab and wait till kids are gone.
I did find a picture with double cab tilted so that is an option avaliable. I thought they were all hard mounted.
Still researching and sketching.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Crew cabs are mounted at the front with the same tilt mechanism as the single cab. Roughly behind the front seats and behind the cab there are 4 bolts in all to hold the rear part of the cab down. Making them tilt and lift is the easy part. Holding them down securely and safely is the challenge.

BTW Japanese models are very different to Australian models too. Some have completely different cabs...... They look about 300mm narrower I guess.

Mounting an aftermarket seat in a crew cab is a really tricky thing. The only access to the engine is under the passenger seat and it is designed to fold and lift up without disturbing the main cab brace ( A structural tube running across the cab ). Can you remove the brace? I wouldn't without a properly engineered alternative.

But hey, if you can solve the cab tilt challenge then you could almost do away with the internal engine hatch which would simplify greatly the passenger seat issue.

Last edited:

Sixinarow

Adventurer
So, after searching, I haven't seen any documentation about the crew cabs being available in Canada. Would you mind showing us where you found that info?

Lwing

So, after searching, I haven't seen any documentation about the crew cabs being available in Canada. Would you mind showing us where you found that info?

I am researching importing a used model. I believe it must be 15 years old minimum for Canada, not sure about the U.S.though.

DzlToy

Explorer
Thanks

As noted, they are available to IMPORT. The double cab 4x4 FG was not offered through Canadian dealers.

The importation rule for Canada is 15 years and 25 years for the US. So, if you get one into Canukistan, bringing it to the US is still a no go.

WRT the Japanese models being narrower, some are. Isuzu offers an NKS with a cab width of 67" (1700mm) where an NPR/NPS is closer to the 2,000 mm mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior