Double Sleeping Bags

Fergie

Expedition Leader
My wife and I are looking for a new sleeping set-up as our current one is not suiting us well. We'd like to find a double sleeping bag system that will fit me (6'0", 210#), her (5'10", 130#) and our 16 month old girl.

I've looked at...

Feather Friends Sandpiper w/groundsheet:
http://featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Product/SemiRectangular.html

Cabela's Ultimate Adam and Eve:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Big Agnes:
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/KingSolomon

The North Face:
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-sleeping-bags/twin-peaks-bx.html

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-sleeping-bags/cats-meow.html

Kelty:
http://kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=1&cat=68&id=446

...and a few no name brands as well, but would like some feedback from the good folks here.

I'm not concerned about weight or bulk....I want something that will hold up to 10+ years of use. I don't need the ultralight backpacker stuff; this is for car camping in our FJ80.

I'd don't have a preference on down or synthetic fill, but I would like the system rated to 20* or better. I do not want a mummy bag; semi, or full rectangular is required. If possible too, I'd like the bags to be used as individuals as well(this shouldnt be an issue given most designs).

So, what all have you used, or are you using? Pros/cons of each?

Thanks,
Gavin

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I too have Coleman. I picked out two large single bags and zipped them together. They sound the same as described above, except the exterior of mine is sort of a light weight rip stop type material. They are bulky too. I leave them in the RTT and just fold it up :)

rynosurf

Adventurer
Make sure that the zippers are around the edge of the bags and not in the center when zipped together. My wife and I have North Face mummy bags(left hand and right hand zip) that we don't like very much because the zipper ends up in the middle of the two bags. If you need to get up you can't just sneak out the side of the bag, you have to open up the middle letting all the heat escape and disrupting your partner. Great bags when used by themselves though.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
my parents have two coleman colossal bags that they zip together. they are huge, but work very well. rated to 20 degrees and about $55 a piece, they are good value for money.

ddog45

Adventurer
best bag

I have posted on the portal a few times now that there is a company in grand junction colorado that makes sleeping bags, the company is called wiggys.
I currently have four of their bags. Two of the bags I own are mummy bags, one rated at 20 degrees and the other is a O degree bag. The other two bags are rectangular in shape one is a 20 and the other is a O. My wife and I zip together the rectangle bags and have plenty of room. A few weeks ago we camped in Buena Vista Colorado and it was in the low 20s we were snug and warm.
I have often thought of getting a down bag or some other kind of fancy sleeping system but with the wiggys bags I own there is no reason to ever get another bag. I am considering contacting the company and seeing if they would make me a couple of 0 degree bags for my young girls.
http://wiggys.com/
Try a wiggys bag you will be very happy.

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
I have never heard of Wiggy's...until now. Just surfed through their site and I kept saying 'wow' out loud over and over. Very cool stuff. If I wasn't already set with bags I'd be looking at one of those center-zip bags based on the Korean War design. Thanks for the link man, that is a great resource! I also like the Made in USA aspect of their company. Nearly every single outdoor manufacturer has shipped their production to China or Taiwan.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I understand you want to use your bag for Expedition camping & will mostly be sleeping in your FJ80.

Quick question, what about in 5 years when your baby is 6? I assume she'll want her own bag and you'll likely be in a tent then right? Also, what seasons & how often do you camp each year? This is critical to know before you select a bag IMHO.

That said for me, my needs were 3 season (don't camp in winter), 10-20 days/nights per year & usually tent camping although recently I've started using my 4x4 to camp in. Coldest temps are down to the 20's but rarely if ever lower than that.

With these requirements the $200+ bags are simply not worth it. Instead I'm using a $70 slumberjack (via Campmor.com) and a $20 fleece bag liner I purchased locally.

For warmer summer nights I use just the liner. For cooler nights the bag, and for colder nights the liner inside the bag.

HTH

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I understand you want to use your bag for Expedition camping & will mostly be sleeping in your FJ80.

We won't be sleeping in the FJ80, we'll be in our ground tent. The 80 isn't good for sleeping in unless it is just me, and even then, I prefer a groudn tent.

Quick question, what about in 5 years when your baby is 6? I assume she'll want her own bag and you'll likely be in a tent then right? Also, what seasons & how often do you camp each year? This is critical to know before you select a bag IMHO.

In 5 years, we're likely to still have small ones in diapers that will be with us...our oldest can have her own bag. We camp all seasons, with weather from snow to rain to sunny, and temps from well below freezing to 60* at night(or higher).

That said for me, my needs were 3 season (don't camp in winter), 10-20 days/nights per year & usually tent camping although recently I've started using my 4x4 to camp in. Coldest temps are down to the 20's but rarely if ever lower than that.

With these requirements the $200+ bags are simply not worth it. Instead I'm using a $70 slumberjack (via Campmor.com) and a $20 fleece bag liner I purchased locally.

For warmer summer nights I use just the liner. For cooler nights the bag, and for colder nights the liner inside the bag.

HTH

The insight does indeed help, and gives me more to consider. Price isnt the concern, whether high or low, but quality and comfort is.

I think getting to the actual stores and checking out the bags will help greatly too.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
The_Mrs. and I use this one.

It is VERY warm and comfortable, but weighs like 20lbs. We pack the bag and two pillows into the largest duffle bag ever conceived by man, and throw it in the back of the truck. Great bag, when you are in camp, but ease of transport is just not there!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have two Slumberjack bags that zip together.

One thing we did was to buy bags with different ratings. In cooler weather we put the 30* bag on top. In warmer weather we put the 45* bag on top.

Works pretty well for us.

DaveM

Explorer

One thing we did was to buy bags with different ratings. In cooler weather we put the 30* bag on top. In warmer weather we put the 45* bag on top.

That is a brilliant idea! I also have two zip together Slumberjacks, same temp rating. They seem pretty warm but I have one major complaint, the zippers suck! They work more or less ok when used along but take FOREVER to zip together when used as a pair. We stopped even trying and just use them as blankets!

alosix

Expedition Leader
Wiggys bags have a great rep.

I have one of their mummy bags and I love it. I just need the outer bag for the really cold stuff. Might be looking at them for 2 zip together bags shortly.

We used 2 coleman bags zipped together (from costco) this summer. They worked well but pack VERY bulky compared to other bags I've used. I'm not sure how tight I am on space (TJ with M101 trailer) vs the FJ 80 but I'd really like something that packs down a good bit smaller.

Jason

Fergie

Expedition Leader

I looked at the Slumberjacks at a local shop today and will be showing them to the wife later.

I take it by your statement that they come in LH and RH zips? The shop only had RH zips.

How would you rate their warth accuracy? They had 0*,-20* and -30* bags, but nothing in the 20-30* range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior