dpf

lehel1

Adventurer
hello all

finally a dpf delete for the fuso. chip tuning in Australia finally got it. i am very happy with the way my 08 fuso fg is now running and i am looking forward to seeing the increase in fuel economy and power. no more worries about where i can travel because of the non sulfur diesel fuel. exciting ; )
needless to say being a one off 08 year model for commercial trucks emissions , i am pretty happy to not be putting the load on the fuel system and fuel in the oil caused by the ridiculous high pressures used to do a dpf regeneration burn.

cheers lehel

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Lehel,

Are they claiming their DPF Deletion allows the use of higher sulphur diesel?

Regards
John

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
finally a dpf delete for the fuso.
I am a bit confused (nothing new for me really).
I have a late model 2010 FG. It's got an EGR, but no DPF. Why would an 08 model have a DPF and mine not have one? Am I missing something here?

lehel1

Adventurer
I am a bit confused (nothing new for me really).
I have a late model 2010 FG. It's got an EGR, but no DPF. Why would an 08 model have a DPF and mine not have one? Am I missing something here?

hey guys

of course a 2010 will have a dpf, but it runs on urea injection instead of increasing the fuel pressure to do a regeneration burn that burns soot particulates off when the dpf is full. 08 is the first and only year they had the regeneration burn dpf run on fuel pressure, and most people dont realize they are no 09 trucks. 010 came out with a new motor specially built to meet the new regulations.
sulfur diesel and special low ash engine oil is no longer needed as there is no dpf to damage. this is not a chip you install like is used in fords and other us trucks. the ecu unit had to be sent to Australia and new parts installed as well as new programming performed.

i plan to travel to mexico and south america, and until now i have had to put my plans on hold because of correct fuel availability outside the country. i had an opportunity to buy a new 07 (without the regeneration) but was talked out of it by the dealer as i would have to add it within a couple of years (very expensive). i now regret this. i was using my truck dual purpose as i had owned a general store and used the truck to haul. but now being retired form that and having my rig registered and insured as an rv (recreational vehicle) in calif i no longer have to worry about the commercial truck regulations as i did before. there is alot of leeway in the rv industry in the united states and a bit of a gray area. this doesn't mean dpf removal is approved in any way, just rv's to date are not mandated to smog inspections.

i am very excited to be able to do some traveling outside of the country. if needed im fully prepared to switch it back once i return home and regulations become more strict. perhaps one of these days the non sulfur diesel will be available everywhere.

diesel fuel truck regulations are in constant flux right now, with no one really knowing what will happen or where it is going and the regulations are changing daily. this is why so many vehicle are not available in the us because the manufactures just cant keep up and /or it is too costly to try. on top of that the current diesel/gasoline percentages made from each barrel of crude oil in the us, and more and more car and trucks running on diesel fuel the price for diesel keeps going up as gas prices are coming down. its a complete mess.

but hey, lifes an adventure

cheers lehel

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
hey guys

of course a 2010 will have a dpf, but it runs on urea injection instead of increasing the fuel pressure to do a regeneration burn that burns soot particulates off when the dpf is full. 08 is the first and only year they had the regeneration burn dpf run on fuel pressure, and most people dont realize they are no 09 trucks. 010 came out with a new motor specially built to meet the new regulations.
sulfur diesel and special low ash engine oil is no longer needed as there is no dpf to damage. this is not a chip you install like is used in fords and other us trucks. the ecu unit had to be sent to Australia and new parts installed as well as new programming performed.

i plan to travel to mexico and south america, and until now i have had to put my plans on hold because of correct fuel availability.

Hey Owen ....what you're missing is that North American FUSO's have had DPF for many years. Australian FUSO's only got DPF in 2012 with the introduction of the FGB71 model.

Hi Lehel, are they claiming that DPF Deletion allows the use of higher sulphur fuel? What about injector life on a Euro 5 engine not running ULSD??? I wouldn't disregard that issue entirely.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
hey guys

i plan to travel to mexico and south america, and until now i have had to put my plans on hold because of correct fuel availability outside the country. i had an opportunity to buy a new 07 (without the regeneration) but was talked out of it by the dealer as i would have to add it within a couple of years (very expensive). i now regret this. i was using my truck dual purpose as i had owned a general store and used the truck to haul. but now being retired form that and having my rig registered and insured as an rv (recreational vehicle) in calif i no longer have to worry about the commercial truck regulations as i did before. there is alot of leeway in the rv industry in the united states and a bit of a gray area. this doesn't mean dpf removal is approved in any way, just rv's to date are not mandated to smog inspections.

Interesting, I had not realized that the dpf is the only (mechanical) reason to run ULSD.

lehel1

Adventurer
sad news about chiptunes dpf delete

hello all

chiptune in austrailia is not yet up to speed on the us fuso, the fuso specific diagnotic tool supplied only by fuso and only to dealers, or the dealers abilities to do a final program process that is require.
i am having to return my truck back to stock with dpf and canceling my trip south for the moment, the whole project has cost me close to $5000 to date with minimal support from chiptune. i do not recommend them for the fuso at this time and would be sure that any aftermarket product you look at is a finished product and not needing further programming that in this case is not yet doable at fuso dealers with the current diagnostic tool available.

that it, very disappointing as i put so much time in trying to get south this year to be stopped by fuel. refreshing old trucks is looking better all the time, never had these problems with my old tried and trued unimog

cheers and happy travels lehel

finally a dpf delete for the fuso. chip tuning in Australia finally got it. i am very happy with the way my 08 fuso fg is now running and i am looking forward to seeing the increase in fuel economy and power. no more worries about where i can travel because of the non sulfur diesel fuel. exciting ; )
needless to say being a one off 08 year model for commercial trucks emissions , i am pretty happy to not be putting the load on the fuel system and fuel in the oil caused by the ridiculous high pressures used to do a dpf regeneration burn.

cheers lehel[/QUOTE]

Chip Tuning

Hi Guys.

Thought I would chime in.

Lehel's truck was problematic however it is wrong to say we do not do USA Fuso trucks. We have a US Military Contractor that is using our services. They are up to #7. The first 4 ECUs we remapped we did DPF OFF only. Then they asked us for DPF OFF and Ad Blue hardware OFF as well. This was completed on ECU #5. Subsequently we are now up to ECU #7, the last two also with total AdBlue Hardware removal reprogramming.

Going back to Lehel's truck, we did have his ECU sent to us a second time. We saw something that we may try to get around his issue and returned to him and he fitted it several weeks ago. He now mentioned to me that presently his truck is not asking for Regens with the DPF removed from his truck so we may have got that fixed as well. I believe he is trying to obtain a scan tool that will allow an error code to be cleared but the truck is running fine as is. Lehel and confirm this and also confirm that a mistake that was not of our doing. He totally unplugged the sensors from the loom (we did not advise that these can be removed at that time) and this could have upset the ECU with a secondary code that played with our remap. Not sure on this. Now just waiting for Lehel to confirm the truck is running OK without an error code on the dash. Again, the truck is working with the remap. No limp modes as he describes.

Regards

Robert

lehel1

Adventurer
Hello all

Just to clarify,
My truck is currently in limp derate mode and the dpf lights flash with the ecu reinstalled for the second time. I am working with chiptuning to try and solve this problem.
In my defence, chiptune instructions state to remove the dpf unit. The sensors are installed in the exhaust dpf system and there was no mention to remove the sensors from the dpf and reinstall them into the replaced exhaust system. Further, upon chiptunes request, they were sent pictures and detailed instructions of the dpf removal (including the unplugging of the sensors from the wiring harness ) of my truck. Since then I have replaced all the sensors with new and had the ecu sent back to chiptune. It is back in my truck with the same problems.
I have spent thousands of dollars so far chasing a solution at dealers, trying to follow chiptunes instruction sheet to do the final program procedure. There terminology does not match the fuso diagnostic tools. So neither chiptune nor the dealers can figure out exactly what is needed to complete the process using the fuso diagnostic tool.
Contrary to fuso 1st telling me it was possible to rent a diagnostic tool, this indeed is not the case. But I was able to buy one from intergron (they supply the fuso dealers) and they are not cheap.
This has been an expensive lesson on modified newer trucks, and I still have more to do before I'm back on the road.
I do hope to post a positive outcome in the near future for everyone concerned.
I dislike have to post treads like this, this is due to lack of communication.
Please feel free to contact me for updates. I'm comitted to finding a solution.
Thanks lehel

Chip Tuning

Thanks for clarification Lehel. I summised from your email dated 03 June ".... i have been driving a little more and no change. but it has not asked for a regen either so thats good. so my plan is to rent a fuso diagnostic tool for a week." that you meant it was not in derated mode. My apologies to the you and members.

BTW, another tool that can delete emission codes from these vehicles is G-Scan. So if you know any good mechanics that invest in their shops they may have one of these since they really are a good bit of kit.

To confirm then we are waiting for results on 2008 American Fuso. Fuso 2010/2011 onward is working satisfactorily in the USA.

The 2008 Fuso here in Australia, Philippines, Vietnam and Europe ARE fine as well.

Regarding support, please remember we are at opposite ends of time zines and therefore we only receive and get to reply to USA emails the next morning. Yes this can be an issue however I can state for the record that we have never had an issue with our remaps. This 2008 Fuso if the first and of course its on a truck that is on the other side of the world! :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles