dpf

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I am a bit surprised to read this, as I have a late 2010 Australian FG84D and it definitely DOES NOT have a DPF.
I know that the same generation Isuzu has a DPF, but not the Fuso. That's why I bought the Fuso over the Isuzu...

Hi Owen.....this thread is definitely confusing when talking Australian and North American chassis but you are correct. All 4.9l FG84 models ran EGR with no DPF. There was no official 2011 model and 2010-plated FG84 were sold until mid 2012 ....... That's how they were still able to sell new Euro 4 trucks up until the delayed release of the Euro 5 3.0l FGB71 with EGR and DPF......and just to confuse things more, our Euro 5 models do not have the additional Adblue system as the North American FUSO does but it will probably come with Euro 6 in 2016.

BTW a DPF does not replace a muffler. Australian FGB71 run a DPF and a separate muffler.

Regards John.

Last edited:

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I always figured the 2008 was the same as 2007 but with added garbage you pay about $6000 for? Is it possible to remove or replace the '08 parts and get a 2007 ECU from a wrecker?

Or just buy a nice 2007 and do an engine swap. Worse case you have to give the buyer a good deal on a '07 truck with '08 guts.

Still not out of my vision to do a cab swap to obtain a crew cab fg in the us. But typically California is the worst state for any automotive experimentation.

CARB = evil

lehel1

Adventurer
Hello robert, and all

I don't want to jinx myself just yet. I am currently on a road trip cross country with my camper to check things out, yay.
If all continues to go well I will have a full write up on the dpf delete soon and some very interesting findings on being in a derate mode, and exactly what can and can't be done even with the fuso diagnostic tool (clearing codes, clearing data, resetting ecu ext ext)

Cheers lehel

Ps, I'm also hoping to try and get fitted the firematic brat irok tires if I can actually get anyone to call me back from there.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Out of interest Lehel, did you not consider trying one of the Chinese MUTIII clones? These units are still expensive, running in at around $500, but that is significantly less than a genuine MUTIII device.
You did not answer my question Lehel...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
What brand / model is that? I know theres a few people searching for a working dongle.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS

61R6r6Me32L._SL1500_.jpg

I use the "Torque" application (android) to talk to it.

lehel1

Adventurer
Hello all
Well, after 2000 miles it appears this last procedure was unsuccessful. At least I had a good time at full power while it lasted. There is a big difference in power with the dpf removed, I was impressed.

But it's not all bad, I have a much better understanding of the dpf, flashing dpf lights, passive regen vs full regen. And what happens or needs to happen if you don't do a full regen when the truck asks for one.

In any case I will do a more detailed writeup when I get back home. This will take longer in limp mode lol

I can tell you this much now,

1. If you let your truck go into derate mode by not doing a regeneration in the timely manner, you must take it to the dealer period. The only way to clear this is a forced regeneration that only a fuso specific diagnostic tool can do. The dpf button will no longer work and there is no way to do it with only the truck on the road.
2. Very important, This is a separate system from the error codes, check engine lights ext. CLEARING CODES will not clear a derate caused by not doing a regeneration.
This can only be done by a forced regeneration, done on a FUSO diagnostic tool so the dpf data memory and ash data memory will be cleared.

Robert at chiptuning and me are taking a step by step approach to better understanding the dpf system, and this last procedure results are not completely unexpected.

Fuso is also not totally at blame for this overly complicated system. It was mandated by our own government to show attempts to make dpf removal more tamper prove. My fault with them is most of thier techs and most mechanics do not understand the system, and really why should they need to. They just follow the procedures written.

Enough of that, going to make my long slog home and hopefully my new diagnostic tool will be waiting for me so I can take a more aggressive spproach.

At least it's nice weather here in nebraska.

More to follow

Cheers lehel

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hello all
Well, after 2000 miles it appears this last procedure was unsuccessful. At least I had a good time at full power while it lasted. There is a big difference in power with the dpf removed, I was impressed.

But it's not all bad, I have a much better understanding of the dpf, flashing dpf lights, passive regen vs full regen. And what happens or needs to happen if you don't do a full regen when the truck asks for one.

In any case I will do a more detailed writeup when I get back home. This will take longer in limp mode lol

I can tell you this much now,

1. If you let your truck go into derate mode by not doing a regeneration in the timely manner, you must take it to the dealer period. The only way to clear this is a forced regeneration that only a fuso specific diagnostic tool can do. The dpf button will no longer work and there is no way to do it with only the truck on the road.
2. Very important, This is a separate system from the error codes, check engine lights ext. CLEARING CODES will not clear a derate caused by not doing a regeneration.
This can only be done by a forced regeneration, done on a FUSO diagnostic tool so the dpf data memory and ash data memory will be cleared.

Robert at chiptuning and me are taking a step by step approach to better understanding the dpf system, and this last procedure results are not completely unexpected.

Fuso is also not totally at blame for this overly complicated system. It was mandated by our own government to show attempts to make dpf removal more tamper prove. My fault with them is most of thier techs and most mechanics do not understand the system, and really why should they need to. They just follow the procedures written.

Enough of that, going to make my long slog home and hopefully my new diagnostic tool will be waiting for me so I can take a more aggressive spproach.

At least it's nice weather here in nebraska.

More to follow

Cheers lehel

Thanks Lehel - appreciate the update and your continued willingness to be the guinea pig on this one. Really want to see this worked out and you are the one leading the charge right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz