Drawer System vs. Storage Boxes

rekhan74

@MattL That seems the route that I'm going to end up taking. I really want to build a "Super Expo-AF" drawer system but the daily feasibility doesn't cut it. How did you put together that ceiling rack?

MattL

Adventurer
The rack idea I picked up from the mud forums. The brand is called Metro and some people have mounted it using custom made brackets; however, I mounted mine with 4 heavy duty zipties since only light items go up there like blankets.

ab1985

Explorer
I've done both. Personally, I like a drawer if you can afford to dedicate the space. I need to downsize mine a bit, so I'm going to take a stab at converting to wolf packs stacked in a smaller enclosed cabinet. I use various soft containers in my existing drawer, so it may save me some time if I can just toss them in vs. building something new. Worst case, I can repurpose the cases for use elsewhere and put another drawer inside the new/smaller enclosure.

C69E8994-EB3A-442D-862B-97B69BA39A5B_zpsoz3ho82o.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've got ~12cu' of roadside / offroad emergency gear in my drawer / platform setup and when some would-be thief looks in my cargo area all they see is a flat empty carpeted floor. And here in Los Angeles that's a good thing.

I have avoided drawers for a long time, using boxes and totes because

A) they are more flexible with regards to how you use the space

B) I try to avoid adding weight, especially when there are lighter alternatives that accomplish the same thing and

C) drawer systems are expensive and I'd rather spend that money on gas or food or tires or other things that get me further down the road.

With that said, I have reached the conclusion that I need to go to a drawer system this year because no matter how hard I try or how many tie downs I use, I haven't figured out how to conveniently secure all my gear and still leave it even slightly accessible without unloading half the truck every time I stop. This problem is severely aggravated by traveling with two kids requiring constant access to all sorts of odds and ends that I could stay buried if I was traveling solo.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

With that said, I have reached the conclusion that I need to go to a drawer system this year because no matter how hard I try or how many tie downs I use, I haven't figured out how to conveniently secure all my gear and still leave it even slightly accessible without unloading half the truck every time I stop. This problem is severely aggravated by traveling with two kids requiring constant access to all sorts of odds and ends that I could stay buried if I was traveling solo.

Update - I thought of a different solution to try before I bite the bullet on a drawer system.

Our biggest challenge with storage is securing things properly and easily and still having access. Inevitably, everything gets stored in bins, two bins and a bunch of loose stuff gets stacked and a couple of ratchet straps go across everything. Then, when you need to get something out, everything comes out, the straps never end up back where they started and it becomes an all day affair to re-secure the gear before moving.

However, we have a Pathfinder specifically for third row seating, which drawers would get in the way of. Instead, I'm going to try a plywood shelf, using the outside arm rest /cup holder sections for support around the edge and a half support in the middle. Add tie down points on the bottom side to secure it with ratchet straps in an "X" configuration to the factory tie down points and slide our bins underneath. Then use a flush mount l-track on top for chairs /clothing /miscellaneous with easy individual tie down points.

Keeps things simple and removable but solves the problem I have simultaneously securing and accessing gear. That's the theory anyways - I'll keep you posted whether it works in practice once completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94