Drifta Drawer Style Build (Toyota Prado 120/ Lexus GX470)

gxout

I'm in the middle of building something very similar. On the side with the table, what did you use to attach the drawer catch to the 1/4 ply (step 18)? I'm worried that small screws may not be enough support and may rip out over time or just gluing the catch in place. Thanks.

Subspd

Adventurer
I went through this thread and didn't see it... how are these mounted? Are they going to the seatbelt bolt, third row seat anchors or the tie downs?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Super job! I start now... Soon I'll post some photos.
Why "HDPE" and not "drawer guides"?
Ciao from Italy.
Giacomo

Presumably because it slides well enough and still allows the drawer to stay where you leave it. And it's a lot less costly than the drawer glides that were the defacto standard for so long in this sort of build.
When I did my build a couple years earlier I illustrated / demonstrated this and that one could re-coup the space / volume otherwise lost to glides.

in my case I used strips of pressboard as skids and designed the drawer heights and drawer box structure to align and support the drawers at full extension. In particular my tools and emergency gear drawer also has a top hatch yet can still support the drawer at max extension. Without any use of metal drawer guides. Oo losing 5% of my drawer volume to glides.

storagebuild063.jpg
storagebuild060.jpg

They're still working well, nearly four years later.

auxbatt062 current.jpg

Subspd

Adventurer
IMG_7441.JPG

So far so good. Tie downs are going on today... I need to find the 'perfect' boxes to slide into the openings. 20x11x35 each. Any suggestions?
I was looking at the FrontRunner Cub, Wold or Flat packs. I could put two sideways on each side.

teejnut

Adventurer
So far so good. Tie downs are going on today... I need to find the 'perfect' boxes to slide into the openings. 20x11x35 each. Any suggestions?
I was looking at the FrontRunner Cub, Wold or Flat packs. I could put two sideways on each side.

Any particular reason you're not running drawers?

Subspd

Adventurer
Any particular reason you're not running drawers?
Well primary reason is I used what I already had in the garage. Lol
But some other ideas were that plastic bins would save weight and also allow for at camp to pull them out completely and setup where needed/wanted.

teejnut

Adventurer
Well primary reason is I used what I already had in the garage. Lol
But some other ideas were that plastic bins would save weight and also allow for at camp to pull them out completely and setup where needed/wanted.

Makes sense. The hardest thing is finding plastic bins with the perfect size to take advantage of all the space. Interested to see what you find/do for that.

I have a platform right now mount just using the third row latches (on the sides of the rig). Below is just a mess of small containers or bags. Was thinking building drawers to better use all the space.

Subspd

Adventurer
Makes sense. The hardest thing is finding plastic bins with the perfect size to take advantage of all the space. Interested to see what you find/do for that.

I have a platform right now mount just using the third row latches (on the sides of the rig). Below is just a mess of small containers or bags. Was thinking building drawers to better use all the space.
Well you have got me on the utilization of space. Looking back I should have built them designed around a specific brand of boxes. Because now I’m finding it very hard to get the right size.
My main concern was getting the right height for a sleeping platform but I should have paid equal attention to the drawer widths. I might just have to make drawers...

There are advantage and disadvantages of running drawers; they surely are not the end all in economy of space, ease of use, and efficiency. On the same hand, they do provide many advantages over stuffing boxes in an enclosed sleeping platform. I've been running boxes and bags under my platform for a while and thought I always wanted drawers; now my mindset is a sliding platform that houses boxes that are accessible and I get the best of both worlds. (see build thread).

Nice work by the way on the construction of the platform and spaces. IMO, the use of drawers with no access from the top is the way to go for your application. If you were to stuff boxes under there and have a flip open top on the platform where you can access the boxes then I would say that would be your best bet; right now, your situation is kind of what I live with now; if I want to get to something, I have to pretty much pull everything out one at a time to get what I need and it suuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkkssssss. That why I think you might like the idea of drawers instead of individual boxes.

My platform idea is a single pull that gives me access to all of the boxes. On that note, I am also installing more top access doors that allow me to get into things without having to pull the slider out or open my tailgate. The design is more work and probably costs more but its a one time deal so I buy now, cry now, and enjoy the right application for life.

Interested to see where you go with this; Nice work!

Subspd

Adventurer
Here is some more details for you of what I have got right now. I am seriously thinking about a "slide" for boxes combo now... These little keyhole hangers worked well to allow me to seal off the ends but still have access and also it makes taking the whole thing in and out a breeze. This allows me to fold the "wings" and just slide the whole thing out very easily.
Got fancy with my leather pulls for the wings...

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_7435.JPG

karmabiker

I'm just kicking off a new drawer build project and am building to the original dimensions but without the table. Looks like it will fit nicely on 2 sheets using a 1/8" kerf for the saw. Thought this might help someone else out, happy building!

Attachments

• cutlist-optimizer_2020-05-11.pdf
    193.9 KB · Views: 66

vincentshumai

I'm just kicking off a new drawer build project and am building to the original dimensions but without the table. Looks like it will fit nicely on 2 sheets using a 1/8" kerf for the saw. Thought this might help someone else out, happy building!

Thanks for this! I planned on building one without the slide out table as well. Not sure what blade thickness Home Depot is using though, but I plan on taking this to have them cut it for me. How's your build coming along?

amongmany

Couple of questions for folks who have done their own build without using ball-bearing slides:

1. How far can you pull the drawers out before they start to feel like they're unstable or start tilting downward from weight/lack of support?
2. Any tricks for getting around this, outside of using bearing slides to ensure they're supported through the length of extension?
3. Have you installed any kind of stop to ensure that you don't accidentally pull the drawer all the way out? If so, what'd you use?

I'm working on the design of a simple, 2-drawer (side by side) setup for my GX. Without the dropdown tailgate of the LC/LX, I worry a little about the drawers as they approach full extension. I've been looking at the Land Shark build and taking inspiration there, but the additional cost of the 80/20 extrusion in place of slides isn't a huge bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz