Driveshaft flange nuts

kerry

Expedition Leader
The shop manual says that the nuts holding the front driveshaft flange to the yoke at the back of the transfer case are non-reusable. Anyone know why? Anyone reused them? I’m about to dig into the parking brake assembly to fix my loose shoe. Also says o-ring behind large yoke nut is not reusable. Really don’t want to have to hang around for more parts. Took me two weeks to get the parking brake parts.

canter tourer

Adventurer
The shop manual says that the nuts holding the front driveshaft flange to the yoke at the back of the transfer case are non-reusable. Anyone know why? Anyone reused them? I’m about to dig into the parking brake assembly to fix my loose shoe. Also says o-ring behind large yoke nut is not reusable. Really don’t want to have to hang around for more parts. Took me two weeks to get the parking brake parts.

Correct, the manual does state that, but, I have had mine on and off numerous times over the years and reused them with no adverse issues and it was obvious that they had been off before my ownership many times too, I think they're just being highly risk adverse.

Not sure about the 'o' ring, I assume you're talking about removing the rear gearbox seal as that's the only seal I can think of there? Unless it's leaking it doesn't come apart as part of the handbrake removal, the nut is large and on bloody tight if that's the one.

Pic attached of mine on one of the many times I've had it apart:) for reference.
Dave

Attachments

• 20210526_134909.jpg
    20210526_134909.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yes, you don't need to remove the drive flange so don't loosen it and yes, I have reused the O-ring before. It seals between the flange and the output shaft, if you were worried about a leak there you could use a little sealant on it. I reuse the nuts all the time no big problem, they are only covering themselves for liability.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The nuts are kind of a metal version of a Niloc nut.
What changes is the force that is applied to the thread when you reuse these nuts.

Given that Fuso, as with many of their spare parts, charge a stupid price for these specific locknuts, I too reuse mine.
However... I have made a simple tool that resets the folded in lip, which (in my opinion) makes them as good as new ones. :)

Personally, unless it is an emergency repair, I always replace seals and O rings, but maybe that's just me.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Well I have learnt something new, I didn't realise there was supposed to be an 'o' ring in there, next time I pull it apart it's on the list of things to do:)
Dave

kerry

Expedition Leader
The replacement I got from Mitsubishi is set up a little different than the one pictured.

Attachments

• D9B34F85-B07F-49D1-9269-C30D5B2BA419.jpeg
    D9B34F85-B07F-49D1-9269-C30D5B2BA419.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

canter tourer

Adventurer
The replacement I got from Mitsubishi is set up a little different than the one pictured.

It'd be interesting to know if your original assembly is the same as the new one, or if it's just an updated version, or if my version is like most things on my truck, previously bodgied up by the old farmer owner to keep it running:)
Dave

kerry

Expedition Leader
Mine was the same as the replacement they sent me. tYruck is a 1999. What is the year of the truck in the picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles