Duality

rusty_tlc

Explorer
A couple of total nOOb questions.

I start my tech test prep class next month and I'm trying to sort out what I need to look for in a radio.

2M seems to be a given, but I'm hearing that a dual band radio is desirable.
Question #1- Why is dual Band so desirable.

I see a lot of 2M/440Mhz units but 2M/70cm also seems to be popular.
Question #2- Which type of dual band radio is best for mobile/expedition applications?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
rusty_tlc said:
A couple of total nOOb questions.

I start my tech test prep class next month and I'm trying to sort out what I need to look for in a radio.

2M seems to be a given, but I'm hearing that a dual band radio is desirable.
Question #1- Why is dual Band so desirable.

I see a lot of 2M/440Mhz units but 2M/70cm also seems to be popular.
Question #2- Which type of dual band radio is best for mobile/expedition applications?

1 - for me dual recieve is the most desirable. It allows me to listen to two frequencies at the same time - such as a repeater and a commercial logging frequency. Dual band also just gives you more flexibility to access additional repeaters.

2 - 70 cm is 440 Mhz (430 - 450 Mhz). Same thing. :smiley_drive:

I run a Yaesu FT 8800. Dual band, dual recieve and am very happy with it.

Pete

rusty_tlc

Explorer
mountainpete said:
1 - for me dual recieve is the most desirable. It allows me to listen to two frequencies at the same time - such as a repeater and a commercial logging frequency. Dual band also just gives you more flexibility to access additional repeaters.

2 - 70 cm is 440 Mhz (430 - 450 Mhz). Same thing. :smiley_drive:

I run a Yaesu FT 8800. Dual band, dual recieve and am very happy with it.

Pete

How does that work when there is traffic on both bands at the same time?

I got around 68cm when I calculated the wave length from 440Mhz. Since since 2M/440Mhz and 2M/70cm radios were both shown on the same page of one manufacturers web site I assumed that there must be some difference. :doh:

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If there is incomming traffic on both recieves at the same time you hear both and end up having to turn down the volume on one of them. For transmit, it automatically mutes the non-primary recieve when your mic is pressed.

Another example of when I would use it is while I am scanning. I will often monitor a simplex frequency when traveling. At the same time I can have the other recieve scanning through a chunk of the band looking for any active traffic. It's nice to have when you are traveling through new areas to find the active repeaters. Another I like to do sometimes is listen to the updated forecast on the weather radio frequency while following a repeater.

Don't get me wrong, dual recieve is not at all a necessity. It's just a feature I enjoy and get use out of. There are a lot of radio experts on this board - most much more experienced than me. I am sure they will chime in with more thoughts.

One other thing for the 70cm capable radios - they can also let you listen into GMRS and FRS radios. I don't endorse modifying amateur radios to transmit outside of the amateur band, but some people do.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Prior to taking the exam, I bought a 2M Yaesu FT-2800M. Based on some internet research, the radio seems to be one of the most durable units made for mobile use. My original intent was to use it for group comms on trips - it offers more power/range, supurb clarity, and much less traffic than the good old CB.

After getting my licence I found there are a lot more opportunities to enjoy the hobby - one of them being IRLP (ww.irlp.net/) that let's us make contacts basicly world wide on FM line of site radios. I've made a contact in Birmingham England vie my local node. Pretty cool!!! At the web site above, you'll see that the nodes are split between 2M and 70CM.

Also, having a dual band essentially doubles the number of repeaters available for long range comms. I routinely chat from central AZ to the Phoenix Metro area via Flagstaff, AZ. on a linked repeater system that covers nearly 1/3 of AZ. Also, there are many places that only have one or the other band available for repeater use.

RoundOut

Explorer
Crossband Repeating

rusty_tlc said:
What about using the rig unit as a relay for a HT?

We love to hike, and after getting interested in ExPo and planning an adventure to Utah in March with DevinSixtySeven, we decided that Ham radios made a bunch of sense. My son and I just got our Technician class licenses (I also passed the General class exam, but need the code to be a full blown General until the new rules become effective - hopefully, I'll pass element 1 this Saturday) a few weeks ago. Our first radio is an Yaesu VX-7R dual band HT unit. Our plans are to add a mobile to my truck, probably an Icom IC-2720H, and a nice antenna.

After conducting a thorough review of what is available out there, and deciding that I want much more than I can afford right now (written like that ever changes, :hehe: ), one of the important features I want in my first mobile is crossband repeating capability. I decided that long-term, I'll probably get a nicer mobile, but I'll get some good mileage on the economical one first. If our interest in amateur radio wanes after a while, I will have saved some money not getting the best now, which is my nature most of the time. LOL

I figure that while we are hiking in the back country, we can set up the truck unit as a repeater, and as long as my HT can transmit far enough to reach the truck, we should be able to reach most repeaters through the truck if an emergency of any sort arise. Hopefully, we will never need that feature, but it would suck not to have it should our transmission distance from a handheld, not be sufficient to reach help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior