Durango as Expedition Vehicles.....?

ghcoe

Adventurer
Why not? I have one so it was time to weigh the pros and cons.

First the pros.
-I have one
-It has low mileage
-It has new AT tires
-It came with a LSD in the rear
-It came with a NV 231 transfer case
-It came with a 4.7 V8
-It came with big wheel package 31x10.5-15 on 8" wheels
-It came with 3.92 gear ratio (compared to 3.55 standard)
-Lots of cargo and passenger area (big enough to sleep in)
-9.25 rear axle
-It is only 71.5" wide (good for narrow trails)
-Easy to lift 2"

Cons
-IFS (a little weak and no aftermarket lifts available for the 2000+ years)
-Everything is power (more stuff to break)
-Little aftermarket support for cool expedition add ons

Well as you can tell the pros out do the cons so lets do it.

My expedition driving does not include rock crawling...... mostly mud, dirt, two tracks, a little up, and a little down so I believe it should do just fine. I already added a, what they call a T/S lift. I was only suppose to net 2" in the rear and 1.75" in the front. In my case I netted a full 3" in the rear and 2.75" in the front. Not that I am complaining, but still not sure what I did wrong.

DSCF4632.JPG

DSCF4635.JPG

-

ExplorerTom

Explorer
See my signature. I love out-of-the-ordinary vehicles. Based on what you described for terrain, there's no reason that your Durango shouldn't be a fine vehicle.

Go forth!

ghcoe

Adventurer
See my signature. I love out-of-the-ordinary vehicles. Based on what you described for terrain, there's no reason that your Durango shouldn't be a fine vehicle.

Go forth!

Thanks, Your build looks nice. I like unusual things and usually when there is no aftermarket support that screams unusual... Happy trails.

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
Hey! Another Dodge! I have a '97 Dakota so I feel you on the aftermarket support. As long as you keep away from boulders etc. you'll be fine.

RedF

Adventurer
Looks like a fine rig to me. If you trust it for long distances and remote places, you've got a great start.

I wouldn't get too hung up on modifying. If it's got recovery points and enough room for your gear, fill the tank and go explore! Little things like more/better lights, skid plates or a roof basket can make a big improvement.

Ivan

Lost in Space
You seem to be pretty familiar with the platform. Bottom line: if you're comfortable with it, use it.

I looked at those years ago. The only thing that scared me away was the transmission. Does your model year have the 5 speed or the 4 speed auto?

I always thought those with a 2" body lift, 33 or 34s, a well hidden winch and a plethora of skid plates (I'd worry about smacking the fuel tank and the front diff) would make for a killer off road and camping rig.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Go for it! A friend had the exact copy of your truck....until some drunk pulled out in front of her and the poor Durango went to the junkyard in the sky. Thankfully she walked away unhurt due to it's stout construction. I enjoyed driving the truck and think it would have made a good trip vehicle. Look forward to seeing what you do.

tarditi

Explorer
I'm all for "run what you brung" but do be careful - those models have a bit of a reputation for sub-par reliability and build quality (Diamler was not kind to Dodge or Jeep). Find the Achilles heels and upgrade them where you can.

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
I was just talking the other day about the older Durango and how you don't see many built up yet they seem like a great one for it. It will be interesting to watch this build progress.

ghcoe

Adventurer
Does your model year have the 5 speed or the 4 speed auto?

Not really sure, but from what I have read it should have the 5 speed since it has the 4.7 V8 instead of the 318cid, which had the 4 speed.

ghcoe

Adventurer
I'm all for "run what you brung" but do be careful - those models have a bit of a reputation for sub-par reliability and build quality (Diamler was not kind to Dodge or Jeep). Find the Achilles heels and upgrade them where you can.

We have driven Durango's for 14 years. Two first gens and on second gen. We really have not had any trouble with them at all. I have pull a 5500lbs trailer with all of them many miles with no issues. This particular one we purchased in 2008 with 80,000 miles on it. It has been a great rig for the wife. She wanted something newer so I got the Durango. If it wasn't such a reliable vehicle I would have traded it off.

I have a roof rack I plan to install this weekend. Need a CB and media player and should be set to roam.....

JBThompson

Adventurer
I say run it, and don't let the lack of aftermarket deter you. I have the same issue with my Explorer but I found a local fabricator that's going to build what I need. Find some of your local Jeep clubs and they'll be able to point you to the local fab guys they use.

ghcoe

Adventurer
I say run it, and don't let the lack of aftermarket deter you. I have the same issue with my Explorer but I found a local fabricator that's going to build what I need. Find some of your local Jeep clubs and they'll be able to point you to the local fab guys they use.

Thanks, I already know a great fabricator http://www.americanvintage4x4.com/ . Been out with him quite a few times with our Jeeps. He is just real busy and.....well finances here takes it's toll on the bling....

WheresYourColorado

Skidplate Scratcher
I find the complete lack of aftermarket 4x4 parts for Durs and Daks strange. I see them all over when I run to the grocery store and I don't live in a big town. Considering they share a lot of parts with jeeps (diffs, T-case, trans) and are one of the few compact trucks/truck based SUV's that you can get a v8 in there should be so much more support.
.....One could make a killing just making skids and selling them online.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier