Dutch Oven cooking

rusty_tlc

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
i like the cast iron dutch ovens, my family has been using them for years. its actually a tradtion that my dad kind of started, he teaches you how to care for it and season it then after a year of taking care of one of his old ones you got your own. it was a definate right of passage.

my dad is such a pro its unbelieveable, he has won numerous awards through the boyscouts and he is always trying new things. the nifty part is that he only has 2, a medium and a small. he beats out all the guys who have like 50 that they buy at garage sales and everything. its amazing. i will try and get some of his top secret recipies. like sticky buns. mmmmmm

college joe.
:drool:
You must get the sticky bun recipe.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I saw this on The Take Home Chef and thought it would adapt well to a DO.

Apple Tarte Tatin said:
Serves 4

Ingredients:

For the tarts:
7 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into halves
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
Two 7-inch-diameter discs of puff pastry, rolled to ¼ inch thickness

For the caramel sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream

Method:

To make the tarts:

Divide the butter between two 6-inch-diameter, high-sided copper pans and spread it over the bottoms of the pans. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the butter in each pan. Using a small sharp knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla beans into the sugar mixture. Reserve the vanilla beans.

Place the pans over medium heat and cook until the butter and sugar have melted. The sugar should start to turn a light golden color; once this has happened, remove from the heat. Place four apple halves, core-side facing up, onto the butter and sugar in each pan. Place 2 cinnamon stick halves and 1 reserved vanilla bean between the apple halves in each pan to resemble a cross. Stretch the pastry over the apples and tuck the pastry down between the apples and the sides of the pans. Prick the pastry 4 to 5 times with a fork.

Place the tarts in the refrigerator to chill the pastry for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375°F/180ºC. Transfer the tarte tatin to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

To make the caramel sauce:

Place the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, watching carefully once the sugar has dissolved since the sugar begins to change color and will burn quickly. Allow the sugar to turn a golden brown. Add the cream and stir to blend. Once the cream is incorporated, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

To serve tarte tatin:

Place the pans with the tarts over high heat until the caramel in the bottom of the pans begins to bubble. Place a plate over each pan. In a swift movement, invert the tarte tatins onto the plates. Discard the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. If the plate is a little messy, it may be easier to transfer the tarte tatins onto clean plates to serve.

Drizzle the caramel sauce around the tarte tatins. Serve each tarte tatin to two people.

Joanne

Adventurer
Anything new in the work of DO cooking?

I'm not sure that there is much innovation in the area of DO cooking. Sure, manufacturers come up with (what I consider) gimmicky ovens or accessories from time to time, but nothing that I would spend my money on. The hardware and techniques are pretty well tried and proven. The creativity comes from the cook slinging the iron.

Joanne

dcg141

Adventurer
I made an Alton Brown polenta recipe in a DO and it was a really good side dish. It never thickened with the coals but a about 15 minutes after I took it off the coals it was a perfect thickness and texture. AB Polenta

Joanne

Adventurer
I made an Alton Brown polenta recipe in a DO and it was a really good side dish. It never thickened with the coals but a about 15 minutes after I took it off the coals it was a perfect thickness and texture. AB Polenta

AB is my hero! I'm a bit of a nerd, so his approach to cooking strikes a chord with me. If you don't have his first cookbook, it's a great one since it teaches methods as well as specific dishes that use each technique.

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online