DYI Roof Rack/Basket

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Quick Fists

John B said:
Outstanding job...and it's very pleasing to the eye.

Where does one find those Quik Fist clamps? I need to mount a shovel and axe on my rack and Garvin wants $80 for the clamp.

John B, I can't take credit for the Quick Fists. I first read about them on Scott's webpage. I purchased them directly from End of The Road Inc. They were shipped fast and I'm pleased with them.

calamaridog said:
Very nice! I love the corner treatment, very good.

My only comment on roof racks in general is they seem to sit higher than they need to. I would eventually like a roof rack too but many of the ones I've seen sit higher than they need to.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the comment. I do agree that they seem to sit high, but with my current set up I was limited to the height of the THULE bars as well as the height of the basket. I made it 5", half way between typical 4" and 6" baskets due to personal taste.

Cheers :beer:,
P

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
John B, I can't take credit for the Quick Fists. I first read about them on Scott's webpage. I purchased them directly from End of The Road Inc. They were shipped fast and I'm pleased with them.

P

Thank You....about to place my order! :jumping:

I fabbed up a bolt in fire extinguisher bracket for my Cherokee some time ago, never found the right clamps to attach the extinguisher to my mount....until now. I'll also order a set of the Super Quick Fists for that.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Looks good. My only suggestion would be to go to a mounting ubolt that is square bent not round. It will give you a stronger and more stable mount. Baskets have a tendency to wander a bit when clamped on. The added surface contact a square bent ubolt will give you on the thule bar will help be more stable and not wander on you while offroading.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Great point!

Nullifier said:
My only suggestion would be to go to a mounting ubolt that is square bent not round. It will give you a stronger and more stable mount.

Nullifier,
thanks for the suggestion. I had not really thought of that but I'll have to look for some squarre u-bolts on my next trip to the hardware store.
P

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
P1, very nice job.

Well done!!! Nice welding.

I'm also fabricating my own rack for my RV. It will go on top of the van cab.

rv_012b.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Roof Basket

G35Vortec454 said:
Well done!!! Nice welding.

I'm also fabricating my own rack for my RV. It will go on top of the van cab.

Good stuff. Let me know how you make out or if you have any questions. I had this in the first post, but just in case you missed it here are my "lessons learned" during the DIY Roof Basket: "If I were to do it again, i'd use thinner material (i.e. 1/16" range) because it's relatively heavy at approximately 45 lbs. I'd make sure that the tabs you install for the aux. lighting are stout. Mine are a bit too thin and cause the Lightforce 170's to vibrate way too much and these are light weight lights. I'm going to cut the brackets off and replace them with thicker, beefier ones down the road."

:wings:

Cheer :beer:,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94