E350 Fiberglass Top Questions

EarlVanMan

Hello Expedition Campers,
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an 2003 E350 but wanted to get some opinions from the experts here. The van is an accessibility vehicle with a wheel chair lift that I will be removing. My question is about the existing high top. Obviously high tops are nice for camping and moving around inside which is why I chose this vehicle but I'm hoping to put a rack with solar panels on top as well as installing a fan and ideally another small window. I couldn't find much in the forums or the web about installing a rack on a fiberglass top except for a couple mentions about Fiberine. In those instances the builder knew what they had in the fiberglass roof top but in my instance I don't know much, just what I can get from pictures as the van is not local to me. So here's a couple pictures, anybody have any experience putting rack or other installations on a topper such as this one? Thanks in advance and thanks for having me here on a killer forum (first post).

-Earl

01515_l9KNE17SYeyz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg 00S0S_5UoHNXhVnKoz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: WVI

EarlVanMan

Most seem to install racks above the top, with braces coming down to gutter mounted brackets.

Is this what you are describing? Makes sense if there is not enough support in the fiberglass topper. Could also make for a convenient place to mount shovel, awning and other goodies. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My personal van...
Thule rack used from CL, some aluminum right angle and three 100watt panels.
It's light weight and has been trouble free for 5÷ years.20210329_193204.jpg

EarlVanMan

My personal van...
Thule rack used from CL, some aluminum right angle and three 100watt panels.
It's light weight and has been trouble free for 5÷ years.View attachment 651515

Simple and easy enough, did the angles on those racks just end up fitting onto the angle of your topper correctly? The part circled in red:

edited van racks.jpg

Also did you install that light and/or ac? Thanks!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Faux gutter mounts, a bunch of measurements to get them in place.
I mounted the lights and fan.
All rather easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke