E350 Interior noise and steering?

Hotrdd

Need help with a Ford E350 interior noise and steering question.

Useful details
Advanced 4x4 conversion
38" tires, 305 wide
Was told its a bigger turbo
4" exhaust from headers all the way back.
8" lift on the van.

In the process of converting an Advanced 4x4 7.3L Ford E350 van. The van is a 2002 Ford E350 that started life as a cargo van but we have since ripped everything out of the inside and started to convert it to a passenger / cargo for towing. What we have done so far is install 1/2" rigged foam to the rear of the van with, L-Track for all of the seats and then 1/2" plywood covered with commercial carpet tiles. In the front of the van the doors have 5mm thick sound deadening on the inside of the doors and then hush mat on the surface before putting the door covers back on. The floors and dog house area have several coats of AL's Heat and Noise and then a layer of hushmat and then commercial carpet. The inside of the dog house was redone with sound deadening and then two layers of the dog house insulation. I combined from two dog houses to try and make it as quiet as possible.

NOISE
So I've spent a lot of money on sound deadening material but the noise in the cab was still really bad 67 - 73 decibels. On the trip down the noise was horrible but after trying to reseat the dog house it was much quieter on the way home but still in the high 60's. When the turbo kicks in or its under boost we are looking at the 70's. I need help trying to figure out what to do next. The back of the van is still a shell but I need to address the noise from the front first. If I can't drop the decibels a ton I'm going to have to ditch this van and go look for something else that doesn't require earplugs to drive in. While the decibel numbers may not mean much consider that I need to talk just below a yell in order for my spouse to hear me in the passenger seat. If the van was under boost forget about talking at all. What I am comparing this to is my old 99 E350 7.3L that was 2wd and 3:55 gearing. That van was still not super quiet but was good for long trips without all the fatigue. This new van is horrible and requires active noise cancelling headphones or earplugs for longer trips. I thought the new van would be much better after we added all of the additional sound deadening. Plan is to run some more tests today and see what I can find.

1) dog house - The seal on the doghouse is in really good shape but is there a video on how it should mate to the metal surface. It looks like there are almost two seals in one, but while the rounded part of the seal fits nice up against the metal doghouse I can't figure out what the other portion of the seal is for that looks like it should go over or around something?

2) exhaust and turbo - Is there anything I can do to the exhaust and turbo to quiet them down? Do find places to add more sound deadening or some sort of blankets to quiet this thing down. OR maybe I need more sound deadening on the floor? I really need some ideas that hopefully I can test before investing a ton of money and not getting results.

STEERING
Have a question about my steering and if it can feel any better. I just finished a 16 hr. road trip with the van and except for the noise above the other thing that felt weird at times was the steering. The van runs really, really straight and true but at times over 60 mph the van felt like it was floating, hard to explain but the best description was like water skiing just outside the wake or driving on a couple inches of loose gravel. While I was driving on asphalt the van would start to sway slightly. I think maybe the lift of the van exaggerates it but my wife would ask me if it was windy because the van was moving a lot. I found on the return trip that relaxing my grip on the wheel and allowing the van to track actually made the ride feel better. Is this as good as it can get or should I expect a more solid feel? I noticed looking at some of the ford trucks that they have two steering cylinders under the trucks but my van only has one. Should I be adding something to the front to make the steering feel tighter?

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Try without the steering stabilizer. I installed a double steering stabilizer and I had a feeling like the one you described. Mine was a Rough Country. I run 305/65/18 so my tires are smaller. Maybe you need a different stabilizer, but in my case, just after installing them, 4 hours into a 12 hour drive, it took them out and never looked back.

iggi

Ian
Following this.

I've got the 6.0 in an ambulance. Coasting downhill it's surprisingly quiet but 3 hours of driving yesterday with a lot of hills and I was feeling pretty weary.
Not sure of the actual DB but just downloaded an app to measure it so I'll post up.

For mine though it seems the dominant noise is the injection pump.

Binky

My 7.3 IDI is plenty noisy, but I found the tires to be my primary noise culprit. Going from the Cooper M/Ts to the Toyo A/Ts cut my noise in half.
Your 4" exhaust may not be helping either if the noise from all the local pickups is any indicator...

I also have a pretty worn-out steering box, with no stabilizer, 285 tires. It tracks great, even at 80, but you have to turn the wheel 30° before anything happens!

Hotrdd

I keeping meaning to grab some pictures but I never remember until I've come back into the house for the night. Maybe tomorrow.

As iggi mentioned when I left off the pedal and just coast down the road I get a 50% reduction in noise, so that indicates engine or exhaust noise getting into the cab.

I did trim the carpet back a bit and will see if that helps the dog house seal better. I'm wondering if there is a way to tighten the clips that hold the doghouse down. Should they be tightened?

Finally I've been reading, reading and reading some more and I am going to try and add some more sound deadening material or maybe even wrap the exhaust.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
When the steering boot through the firewall wasn't seated properly the noise in my 7.3 rid was intolerable. Have you checked the seal and condition of yours?

I also found the doghouse fit and seal made a big difference. How well does the seal seat to the metal? Are the two forks on the doghouse fitting inside the fire wall? I've read of members who put a rope inside the seal to increase the pressure on the seal.

Is the engine a lot louder when the window is open? I find mine to be loud while in confined area if the window is open, but with the window closed, it's fine. It's a bit loud at idle, but off idle it quiets down. Talking to the kids in the back (7' away) can be harder, but doable without yelling... and talking to my wife in the front doesn't require require speaking particularly loudly.

I know that my 12/96 has single shot injectors, but I don't understand why newer injectors would be much louder... in fact they were designed to reduce noise. Have to ever compared it to another 7.3 van? If you were local, we could go for a drive and compare. So far mine only has OEM soundproofing.

Best of luck with your search... hopefully the mods won't always make it intolerable.

Last edited:

Hotrdd

I have another 1999 7.3L and it is way quieter. But its all factory equipment and carpet inside and the regular exhaust. I'll check the rest of the boots going through the fire wall. Can someone get me some pictures of how the dog house seals fit? Or better yet a short video. In the attached image I show the dog house seal what goes between the two seals?

Attachments

• Dog House seal 2.jpg
    Dog House seal 2.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 66

Hotrdd

Here are the images I have of the front Drive train.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4362.JPG
    IMG_4362.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    893.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4366.JPG
    IMG_4366.JPG
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    992 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

yager

All so far are good tips, but you said the rear of the van is unfinished ? (the rope inside the seal :) )
I would complete the interior before decided if your going to dump the van.
Here why..
i had a 04 chevy 3500 cargo van the was kinda loud (tin box). I sprayed bed liner through the entire van (5 gallon worth)
and the i put 1/2" thick insulation up. That help enmensely, where two guys can carry a conversion at 70mph.
Also I have a 95 van and i made sure that i did not wreck the dividing wall to much.
Might considering a partial/full wall behind the driver seat ?

ricardo

Observer
I'm on the same Boat, my 7.3 is so freaking loud is a total torture to ride in it..

I have sold extremely nice, sezy, fast motorcycles for the very same reason, a little noise is okay but Come ON....!!!

I waiting to gain some funds and start to experiment and install the already proven so diminish the "Rumble", I'm even willing to install Mufflers but the issue is that the noises come from the Engine it self, Valve lifters..??

I don't know

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 7.3 IDI is plenty noisy, but I found the tires to be my primary noise culprit. Going from the Cooper M/Ts to the Toyo A/Ts cut my noise in half.
Your 4" exhaust may not be helping either if the noise from all the local pickups is any indicator...

I also have a pretty worn-out steering box, with no stabilizer, 285 tires. It tracks great, even at 80, but you have to turn the wheel 30° before anything happens!
Same here. I found the MT's to be super strong but the noise got me. The AT2's are fairly quiet and I don't have to yell in the cab.

iggi

Ian
Just did a DB check. Rolling down a hill with the engine idling I had a low of 59 DB inside the cab. Heading back up the same hill and I had a peak of 91DB.
Average cruising below 50 is about 63DB. Average at highway is pushing 80DB. If I could get that down to the 68-71 range I think I'd be pretty happy.

Hotrdd

iggi, this is the same boat I am in. Going 70 mph down a hill the cab is pretty good for sound. Hit the bottom or need the turbo to spool up and the noise climbs very high. This tells me that its engine noise related and not road noise from the tires. I'm going to check all of my seals to make sure they are seated and then go from there. BUT can someone post some pictures of how the doghouse seal works? The way my seals are on 100% of the seal is on the inside metal of the lip, it doesn't go over the metal at all it just presses up against it. Is that correct?

I like the idea of adding blankets behind the front seat to help me determine how much of the noise is coming forward.

I'm going to start adding and removing things to track down the issue. I'll post my findings as I go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier