E350 project

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
E350 project, now with pictures

The van project is finally off the ground. It will probably progress slowly (baby steps) but sometimes its the trip and not the destination that's important. Two of my sons and I installed longer stiffer springs to the front end 2 weeks ago (on another thread) and I will get the rear lifted this next break.
A fellow Alaskan was kind enough to work on the bumper project for me while I'm at work. I like the looks of the fancy store bought ones but the price tag is too much of a stretch for me.
So Dansvan is extending the bumper and mounting a husky 10 as well as adding a brush guard for me.

Regards,

Jim

P1010226.jpg

P1010220.jpg

P1010227.jpg

Last edited:

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
brush guard pics

Here are a couple pics of the brush guard being fitted.
Its a warn winch brush guard combo that I found on craigs list.
It was modified to fit a 1987 suburban and now its going on a ford. Who knows what it originally came from.

Regards,

Jim

P1010230.jpg

P1010229.jpg

P1010231.jpg

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Have you considered a simple 2x6 box tube bumper of the same shape, with longer returns. Matterial would be $30-50. You could put expanded metal on the top to make a step/platform to access under the hood. That stock bumper looks a little odd sticking out that far. Please don't take offense, just a redneck opinion:bigbossHL:

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
I’m tickled pink just to get the winch and brush guard on.
It does look long in the pics but its only 12 inches. The winch is 10 inches deep and needs a little wiggle room. There is a piece of channel behind the bumper identical to the one bolted to the frame horns. If approach angle becomes a problem, it can always be modified to suite later
Dan is going to cover the top with some type of plate for a step or platform.
I plan on using the extra space for adding a two bicycle carrier in front of the brush guard later.

Regards,

Jim

Clark

Observer
I'm starting to see where you're going with this. Depth perspective is really hard to tell from photos.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Rear shackle flip

Took the time today for the shackle flip.
Was going to do it last fri but it decided to snow again. We recieved 2 feet of sloppy spring snow. It all melted now so back to work.
Scored the rivets and knocked the heads off with my rivet gun and chisel. Flipped over the brackets and relocated them 2 inches foreword to get the proper shackle angle over the spring eye.
Unfortunately I miss judged the bolt length (used 1 inch)and need to swap them out for longer ones.
By flipping the spring hangers over I gained 2 1/2 inches of lift in the rear to compensate for the longer springs in front and leveled out the van.
More lift can be achieved by locating the spring hanger lower or using longer shackles with the flipped hanger.
Now I have to actually make a decision on the size and type of tires.:smiley_drive:

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:

Clark

Observer
The vans looking good! I just bookmarked this for the shackle flip. It seemed to work out well and I bet it improves the pinion angle (I'm a little worried about this when I shorten my drive shaft to get the transfer case in). Is there any down sides to a shackle flip?

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Shackle flip

Clark said:
The vans looking good! I just bookmarked this for the shackle flip. It seemed to work out well and I bet it improves the pinion angle (I'm a little worried about this when I shorten my drive shaft to get the transfer case in). Is there any down sides to a shackle flip?

I added a pic of the left side rear shackle for you Clark.
The flip doesent seem to cause any problems I am aware of. I will let you know if something presents itself.
Dansvan drove his with a shackle flip on an extendid trip from Alaska to the lower 48 with no problems.
He didnt flip his spring hanger but modified it to allow the shackle to rotate to the lower position and moved it foreward 2 inches for proper angle.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
We discoverd the stock rims are only 7" so It slowed down the tire upgrade. The largest that will fit is a 285X16. So for now a cheep (for Alaska)set of mudstars will have to do. The money is going for a rear tire and gas can rack next week.
I also took off the bumper valance to help the approach angle a bit.

Regards,

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz