e61's 2020 Armada/Patrol Y62 Build

KrymSIX

I can’t believe Ironman can sell that kit with a strait face and not offer UCAs and end links or even put up a disclaimer of some sort.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess would be since Ironman 4x4 advertise it as a 1.5" lift which could be accommodated by the stock UCAs. They don't really mention that the kit is adjustable and that most people will probably get 2-3 inches out of the lift unless they specifically tune everything down to get closer to the advertised 1.5 inch lift. Even then on new springs it's probably going to sit at or above 2 inches.

They also never have their Y62 lift in stock and when I asked them about availability they said they have no ETA right now.

e61outside

My guess would be since Ironman 4x4 advertise it as a 1.5" lift which could be accommodated by the stock UCAs. They don't really mention that the kit is adjustable and that most people will probably get 2-3 inches out of the lift unless they specifically tune everything down to get closer to the advertised 1.5 inch lift. Even then on new springs it's probably going to sit at or above 2 inches.

They also never have their Y62 lift in stock and when I asked them about availability they said they have no ETA right now.

It’s adjusted all the way down and has over a thousand miles on it. The only explanation I’ve heard is that Patrols sit roughly an inch higher than Armadas from the factory. So for us it’s actually a 2.5 to 3” lift. It would likely be cloister to 2” if I had a bumper, winch, drawers, etc.

So the recommendations from PRG are more technically accurate - stock length shocks and close to stock springs or spacers can technically use stock uca, but still not ideal. Extended travel shocks - absolutely must use new UCA.

e61outside

@leeleatherwood and others here - I would absolutely love it if you guys could do a sanity check on my research and calculations...

Problem:
I don't plan on adding weight to the truck anytime soon, so the lift is currently higher than 3" with ironman 4x4 and causing alignment and ride problems.

Solution:
I'd like to drop it down to less than 2" above stock height and keep the existing foam cell pro extended length shocks and dirt king UCAs by replacing the springs.

Here's what I've come up with....

Installed Now:
Front - Ironman NISS045B 385mm/15.16" 771 lbf/in
Rear - Ironman NISS046B 522mm/20.55" 514 lbf/in

Option 1:
There is a little rake now so hoping this would result in mostly level with around 2" above stock.
Front - Moog 81194 14.5" 660 lbf/in - shocks are set as low as possible, so assuming length and spring rate for the drop calculation as I don't have any more room to thread the seat lower. I'm guessing -1" from above?
Rear - Moog 81085 16.63" 535 lbf/in +2" PRG Spacers for a total of 18.63" - thinking roughly - 2" from above?

Option 2:
Front - Stock springs 13.5" 650 lbf/in - As is it would remove 1.66" but I could raise using the threaded strut if needed.
Rear - Moog 81085 16.63" 535 lbf/in - +2" PRG Spacers for a total of 18.63" - thinking roughly - 2" from above?

Question 1: So as I write this I guess the main question is do I go with the stock springs up front and just raise it an inch with the preload adjuster or go with the HD Moogs?

Question 2: And am I correct in assuming I need the spacers in the rear in both scenarios?

...and did I get the numbers right?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the Moog rear springs. They are too soft, and too short. Literally, I was shopping for replacements on the way home on the maiden voyage. For what you intend to carry, you probably won't be happy. I just swapped some Lovells DRS-99 springs into the rear, they seem to be perfect. Roughly 2.25" of lift, nice sturdy spring rate.

I'd try the stock springs in front, and add some preload since you can. 650 in/lb seems a tad soft, but you've already got them so why not.

I'm shooting for 700 in/lb front spring rate, but I'm waiting on some parts. This is right about 2" of lift all around.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 78

e61outside

Update on the plan…

Ordered front and rear Lovells at the Australian spec standard height. We’ve all come to the conclusion that the US version of this truck is substantially lighter and one inch lower. So these “stock” springs should get me to a 2” lift vs the 5” I’m running now.

Reactions: SRN

KrymSIX

Update on the plan…

Ordered front and rear Lovells at the Australian spec standard height. We’ve all come to the conclusion that the US version of this truck is substantially lighter and one inch lower. So these “stock” springs should get me to a 2” lift vs the 5” I’m running now.

Hey E61Overland when you say the truck is substantially lighter do you mean vehicle curb weight or the springs? The listed weights are nearly identical. 5577-5958 lbs for the armada and 5755 lbs for the patrol. Guessing the weight range of the Armada has to do 4x2 vs 4x4 versions.

Let us know how the Lovell springs work out. Been eying the King springs y62 standard springs from Australia as well as the lovells as options for a coil lift.

e61outside

Hey E61Overland when you say the truck is substantially lighter do you mean vehicle curb weight or the springs? The listed weights are nearly identical. 5577-5958 lbs for the armada and 5755 lbs for the patrol. Guessing the weight range of the Armada has to do 4x2 vs 4x4 versions.

Let us know how the Lovell springs work out. Been eying the King springs y62 standard springs from Australia as well as the lovells as options for a coil lift.

Yes, curb weight. I am honestly jumping to some conclusions/grasping at straws based my experience with the Ironman and others that have tried the OMEs of similar specs. I am getting closer to 5” of lift. Not sure what else is different. Good news is the revelation that the standard height Patrol springs seem to be good for ~2” lift. I’ll definitely report back.

Break n Fix

Update on the plan…

Where did you source these springs from?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Yes he is super helpful and working on importing more Y62 parts. He is in here as @SONICMASD

Thank you for the kind words, business, and willingness to pioneer this platform in the USA with all of us on here. Once e61overland installs his Lovells front springs I'm sure he'll let everyone know the results here and for those interested in purchasing please contact me via the Luso Overland site since I don't monitor ExPo very closely.

e61outside

Fitted the Rigd Untraswing Mega-Fit today. Looks great. Excellent quality and attention to detail.

536ac48f32d457fae17b9424ed96f414.jpg

29f11abc4829878557d303b3a6532dd4.jpg

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I like it! Are you going to move your spare up there or use that location for something else?

ps - tip - add some reflectors or lights or something on parts that stick far out because it sucks to ********** your chins on a hitch in the dark, ask me how I know haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94