Earth-cruiser NPR 4WD drivetrain issues?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A friend was telling me that one of his customers has a new EX-P. Has been enjoying it thus far, but something went awry in the 4x4 drivetrain and damaged some bits and bobs. He was waiting for more info.

Then I was discussing potential rig/cabin ideas with someone else on IG (for him, not for me), everything from full-size trucks to LMTV's, NPR's, etc. He said he was shying away from the NPR due to the driveshaft vibrating badly on the core model. He said a few people he'd spoken to had to make numerous changes on their own dime to make the 4WD system reliable, including new carrier bearing, steering fixes, etc.

However, when I searched here to find out more info, I don't see any info about what's going on. One guy I follow on IG hasn't had any issues on his. So is it problems only for 1+few, or widespread further? What has been your experience?

Note; I had been considering one of these awhile back, but it just wasn't in the budget.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
All EC NPR's I've heard about have been relating to their custom 4WD drivetrain, including steering conversion.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Seems the EC owners are either mum's the word, or not on here to post the details. I'm thinking the latter--just like Earthroamer owners aren't on these forums. Too busy flying their jet or tending to their yacht. ;).

Zuber

Seems the EC owners are either mum's the word, or not on here to post the details. I'm thinking the latter--just like Earthroamer owners aren't on these forums. Too busy flying their jet or tending to their yacht. ;).

Not so, they are on the private EC forums. Not here with the great unwashed.

(unwashed trucks that is)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Not so, they are on the private EC forums. Not here with the great unwashed.

(unwashed trucks that is)

Wonder what's going in there...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Wonder what's going in there...

Masking Issues, just like GXV did, and then poof, GXV basically disappeared?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Masking Issues, just like GXV did, and then poof, GXV basically disappeared?

Well, I will say that the industry didn't seem to see many GXV rigs there for awhile (and certainly no AdventureTrucks). Now they've been purchased by Storyteller Overland (ClassB Sprinter van builder). Will be interesting to see where GXV goes from here.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
He said a few people he'd spoken to had to make numerous changes on their own dime to make the 4WD system reliable, including new carrier bearing, steering fixes, etc.

I don’t think it’s possible to “fix” the steering on the Fuso/NPR

I’ve driven two and both steered like 1970s schoolbuses

Zuber

My 2017 FUSO Earth Cruiser steers very good. No wander, no yaw under braking, no yaw in dips. It only has a slight bump steer when going through a big dip with both front wheels. But, if you didn't have a hand on the wheel, you'd never notice it. No corrections needed.

I've own many (over 12) straight axle trucks starting in a 1964 with king pins. The worst one was my 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Factory FG 4x4 isn't a "4WD conversion."

Sidenote; What didn't you like about your '14 Wrangler?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne