Earthroamer/GXV vs. Sportsmobile?

Carl

Observer
Curious to hear from anyone who has had a SMB and made the switch, or even considering it?

Why do it?
What type of use?

any thoughts are appreciated!

carl

trailsurfer

Explorer
Curious to hear from anyone who has had a SMB and made the switch, or even considering it?

Why do it?
What type of use?

carl

I made the switch from a 2009 4x4 Diesel EB SMB about 6 months ago. The SMB is just fantastic! Great vehicle that will go anywhere. I can't say enough good things about SMB's. In fact, I was going to keep both, but had a friend that really wanted my SMB after I acquired the EarthRoamer this fall.

What pushed me to get the ER was the fact that I followed my buddy around Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah over the past 2 years and he could go everywhere I could go. But, he had inside toilet and shower facilities, carrying 100 gallons of water. The ER is just more comfortable to camp and travel in.

And ultimately, the vehicles are just so similar in terms of capability.

trailsurfer

Explorer

Why do it?
What type of use?

carl

And I USE the ER as I USED the SMB. They will go anywhere you are willing to take them as long as height and width allow.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Carl, you also asked for those considering the change. I have a smb rb50. I absolutely love the truck. The ride is great, it's comfortable to drive and comfortable to live out of. It has taken me through extreme terrain, beyond what many would do in much smaller heavy built trucks.
With that being said. In my opinion the only drawback is the lack of full bathroom/shower facility. I think the length of planned trips plays a major roll in the importance of this. For up to a week it's really not that big a deal. Outside shower in open air or in portal enclosure using onboard hot water system, very doable.

But add cold weather or make the trip a few months and that becomes a bit of a drag.

I'm starting to look at larger options. I like the smb enough that I may keep it also. Have to cross that bridge when I find the next step.

You can't go wrong with an smb if your trips are relatively short. Dollar for dollar it's the best buy.

EMrider

Explorer
But, he had inside toilet and shower facilities, carrying 100 gallons of water. The ER is just more comfortable to camp and travel in.

Being happily married, and really wanting my wife to spend time with me on the road later in life, the key fact above will get me into an ER or GXV at some point.

And to be fair, I would really like interior bathroom facilities and more comfort too.......on longer trips.

But the SMB is great and it will never be sold. It will always be the perfect vehicle for 2-4 day exploration, MTB, fishing or hunting trips with the kids/guys.

R

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I understand what the guys above are saying and I think if my wife traveled more with me then I would be on their side of the fence...
but funny enough for me as an amputee and the disabled folks I talk out, well a RV bathroom is too small and too much trouble for us so the folding hosptial style toliet and shower wand setup is perfect of week long plus trips...
I love my Sportmobile and can not say enough great things about Alan, Liz, Jonnie and the rest of the crew in Freson, matter of fact you should only buy from Freson out of the 3 SMB locations.
I have an EB w/ the tall voyager hardtop and wheel the rig hard, along with disabled guys who are new to overlanding using handcontrols wheeling hard, the rig is amaizng and sooooo comfortable I would go around the world without a thought.

But I can understand going up to an ER or GXV, and having run with an ER in Baja (along with others in this thread on the same trip) I was super impressed with the rigs.

dzzz

Does this comparison change considering the lack of a diesel 4x4 Sportmobile? Personally I believe the utility of a diesel in this size vehicle is overrated. But for many people it seems important.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
true to get a ford diesel van you are looking at used, but that isn't a bad thing
i like diesel if you will really wheel the rig, idle for extended times or have a heavy rig
but gas works in reality

dzzz

For world travel in the ER price range I would consider shipping a (U.S. version) Fuso FG cab/chassis to ATW in OZ. Pick up the finished camper from ATW and start touring.
The one reason this might not work is the one year importation limit. Perhaps ATW could build the cabin before recieving the vehicle.
Several years later the truck is back in the U.S. as a U.S. registered vehicle.
I would trust ATW as well as a couple of the German companies to do a "long distance" build.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Hi trailsurfer --

Having driven both the Sportsmosile and an EarthRoamer, how would you say the ride compares -- especially on rough roads?

-- Geoff

On road the SMB drives a little better. Off road with the big tires and air suspension the Earthroamer drives MUCH better.

TomH

Adventurer
We faced this same dilema for some time. The problem is, you can't get an ER for an SMB price. But there is a great alternative, the Provan Tiger. The new Provan owner, Mark Guild, continues to upgrade the CX and Bengal models. The new Siberian Tiger, to be released within weeks or even days, will be the size of an ER XV-LT, but at less than half the price. The CX and Bengal are bigger than the SMB, but at the same price.

TomH

Adventurer
...I USE the ER as I USED the SMB. They will go anywhere you are willing to take them as long as height and width allow.

....my buddy...could go everywhere I could go....

Hmmmm, I have never seen an XV-LT doing what I see on these two pages:

http://sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

http://sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

I would very much LIKE to see pictures of an XV-LT/LTS doing that. I know the Rubicon can, but if the pickup can do this, why are there no pictures like these on the ER site nor anywhere else that I can find? If you know where I can find pics of the LT(S) doing this kind of off roading, PLEASE, PLEASE share links.

NothingClever

Explorer
Although I don't own a SMB or an EarthRoamer, we're in the market for a new camper. We're fortunate not to have too many limitations so we're studying all available options (except for a Shachagra-type build which I couldn't achieve even after a decade of vocational studies).

The below video is what made me delete the EarthRoamer from our short(ening) list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwkmc-LJC-0

For the money, and for our wants, needs and tastes, the EarthCruiser looks to be head and shoulders above all the options we're perusing if you're in that spectrum of budget.

Anyways, I'll turn it back over to the owners...just thought that video of the ER was interesting. Tincup is a Blue according to FunTreks and my own humble trips across it on a motorcycle and a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles