Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

b9ev

Adventurer
Realistically, what type of MPG are you seeing in the Power Wagon. Also, any idea if it were pulling a small 5k lb trailer?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I’m hand calculating an average of 13mpg with the 37’s as long as I keep it at 70 or less. Take it 75 and it drops to 10-11.

I have only towed once with it, my Ranger on the 20ft double axle trailer, it weighed roughly 4200lbs with all gear, I got 11.5mpgs at 70.

Reactions: Ysk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I’m hand calculating an average of 13mpg with the 37’s as long as I keep it at 70 or less. Take it 75 and it drops to 10-11.

I have only towed once with it, my Ranger on the 20ft double axle trailer, it weighed roughly 4200lbs with all gear, I got 11.5mpgs at 70.

dang, all highway im closer to 15

SoTxAg06

That’s better than my Chevy with the 6.0 and 285’s. I’ve been curious in real world averages for the power wagon. From what I’ve seen, they do decent for a big truck.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen your truck driving through Victoria. Travel through there a few times a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket fuel tanks? I’m thinking about going to 65 gallons with Titan Fuel Tanks.
dang, all highway im closer to 15

Yea I've seen as good as 14.8mpg but that was doing 67mph set on cruise with no head wind lol.

When do we get to see the Nuthouse rack?!?!

:cool:

Picking it up Friday June 22nd, so shortly thereafter.

That’s better than my Chevy with the 6.0 and 285’s. I’ve been curious in real world averages for the power wagon. From what I’ve seen, they do decent for a big truck.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen your truck driving through Victoria. Travel through there a few times a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that was me, I drive it during the week and the Super Duty on the weekends. I'll be on the lookout for your truck, come say hi if you see me out and about.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Wheels and tires went on last Friday afternoon and then I parked it and left town for the weekend. Unfortunately Discount Tire dropped the ball and ordered chrome lug nuts and they proceeded to gouge a couple of the wheels upon mounting them. I am currently waiting on the replacement wheels and lug nuts. I am happy to report that there wasn't any rubbing on flat ground, but I did do a little trimming to keep the tires out of the back fender liner while under compression. Pretty sure I will be removing the center caps and painting the hubs as well, I am not really feeling the large center caps.

I'll post up detailed pics once the wheel/lug issues have been rectified, but for now here's a little teaser.

LpMuIeY.jpg

4JBMOSb.jpg
Those wheels look perfect.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Was it Nuthouse weekend? Can’t wait to see photos! :p
I’m interested to see the nuthouse rack and read your thoughts on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the trek up to Nuthouse in Ohio had to be postponed. Not to get into too many details, but my other half is currently undergoing medical treatment that has completely altered our current and indefinite plans for at least the immediate and possibly even foreseeable future. I need to be here during this time and a 4-5 day trip multiple states away just doesn't qualify. I could have the rack freighted here for roughly the same amount of money but then I'll have to do the install myself (no time at the moment) and I will miss out on the opportunity to meet Tom and his crew and see their facility. I won't get to experience the road trip which includes a night in Nashville, a rendezvous with another member here on the forum, and of course camping along the way.

I will touch base with Tom here soon and see if I can post up some completed pics of the rack for everyones enjoyment, mine included. At this moment I don't know when I will be rescheduling my trip to pick up the rack, but once I get a grip on how things are going to shake out here I'll reschedule with Tom and a new countdown can begin. I am very much looking forward to getting this on the truck and utilizing it in our future travels.

Kingsize24

I hope all works out well for you and yours. Without needing to know what is going on, we will keep you in our prayers.

Jason

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This is a snapshot of what I see on most road trips/highway travel in the PW when traveling at 70mph (speed GPS and mathematically corrected for tire size to 63mph). I have 37x13.50x17's which are 11.68% larger in diameter than the factory rubber. This equates to a -10.46% speed variance. If you take the 14.3mpg average seen in the pic (it's usually more like 14.7-14.9mpg) and multiply it by .1046 you get an adjusted 15.79mpg's (16.46mpg if you use the 14.9mpg average I see more consistently).
In town I see roughly 11mpg on average, corrected that's actually 12.15mpg, not the best, but no worse than the 4Runner and Land Cruiser on 33's we had a few years back. The range estimate shown is based off of the previous tank where I averaged under 10mpg's due to the majority of my travel being under 15mph off-road at the ranch.

Obviously there are other factors to consider like the increased rotational mass from the heavier wheel/tire combo, increased drag from the larger contact patch, and reduced aerodynamics from the higher vehicle and increased air flow underneath. The lie-o-meter is not always consistent when compared to real world calculations and I have no idea how far off the computer is on these trucks, but I will be sure to hand calculate the next interstate travel tank with the -10.46% variance for comparison. On a recent trip back from the coast I tried setting the cruise to a shown 57mph which is actually 63mph when corrected for the larger tire size. I averaged a shown 15.7mpg's on that 60 mile run which is 17.3mpg's when corrected, a small improvement but 1-2mpg's more for a 5-7mph reduction in speed isn't half bad if I have the time to go slower.

I don't know about y'all, but that is more than acceptable milage in my book for a 7000lb truck on 37's. How does your PW/Cummins compare?

BmEq0dp.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles