Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think the Ram 1500s with the air bagged suspension and V8 would be okay with that weight I know mine has been. The problem with these arguments are the same ones you have when discussing Dual Sport or Adventure bikes, it really comes down to your definition of “off-raid” and reality of the situations you get in.
If you live in a cold climate, be weary of anything with air suspension. Regardless of make or model.

I don't know how many vehicles I see up here running around in winter looking like they were body dropped because of clapped out air suspensions...

Grump E-Vet

If you live in a cold climate, be weary of anything with air suspension. Regardless of make or model.

It has been between -10 and 10 degrees where I live this week and this the 3rd winter I have had the truck never had a problem.

ttengineer

Adventurer
If Ram gets smart they will just take the new 1500 and switch that bed out and just make it a big BoF SUV, like they did in the late 90s making the 2nd Gen Dakota into the 1st Gen Durango (sounds like it may be happening but under Jeep nameplate at Warren). Doing that might be a pretty good use of that space vs a shell. Of course that means it will be IFS so if you wanted a “true off road rig” you could do an axle swap. Even though I am putting in an order for the new Gen 4.5 PW this week, I have to say that air bag suspension and bilsteins I think it would be plenty capable. If you added a conservative lift or even a leveling kit and ran something as conservative as 35s it would be plenty capable. Anyway that is my thought when I think about the shell you put in that truck...

Wasn’t the Durango a Ram frame? Similar to the Tahoe and Silverado of the same period.

Either way, that would be cool if they did that. But I think the days of BoF SUVs are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grump E-Vet

Wasn’t the Durango a Ram frame? Similar to the Tahoe and Silverado of the same period.

Either way, that would be cool if they did that. But I think the days of BoF SUVs are long gone.

Man I wish they had been based off the 1500 brother, Mopar fans have been asking for that literally forever! Both the first gen 1998-2003 and the second gen 2004-2009 were Dakota based and BoF built at the Newark, DE plant. Even with the 2009 version (and badge engineered Chrysler Aspen) having a Hybrid option, during the recession and bankruptcy they not only axed the vehicle but the plant stayed with “Old Chrysler” and was sold then demolished.

When FCA led by Sergio “The Sweater” brought back the Durango in 2011 it was on a unibody built at the Jefferson North plant in Detroit and geared more towards on-road performance. It is based off a stretched Jeep Grand Cherokee WK/WK2 platform (which is from the early 2000s Mercedes ML platform that they are still built on today).

https://www.allpar.com/model/durango.html

FCA will be launching a new unibody third row Jeep Grand Cherokee to provide a more “off-road ready” 7 or 8 passenger option. This is actually going to be built by converting the idle Mack II engine plant, since Jefferson North is at 130% production capacity (The expansion should be interesting because Mack II is a 1/2 mile away that is going to be one long conveyer!).

https://jalopnik.com/fca-to-open-a-new-assembly-plant-in-detroit-to-build-a-1830917776

Along with the new unibody 3rd row SUV, FCA is also going to build a new BoF big 3rd row SUV at Warren Truck in Detroit when they stop making the Ram 1500 Classic there this year. (Originally HD truck production was supposed to be moving there from Saltillo, Mexico as well but the new post-NAFTA trade deal means they probably don’t have to if they want to have more capacity at Warren.) The planned SUV will most likely become just the resurrected Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. But they may also make a new Dodge or even a RAM brand large SUV which may be on the Ram 1500 platform or when they relaunch the new Dakota (which will be BoF) and built at the Toledo South Jeep plant which previously made JKs but is starting production of the Jeep Gladiator pickup this year.

As far as other BoF SUVs off the top of my head you have the GM ones built on the same platform Suburban\Escalade\Suburban\Yukon\Tahoe etc. Along with the Ford Expedition and the new Ford Bronco that is coming to finally give the Wrangler some competition (even if it is small). Plus the new version of the Mercedes G-Wagon that is coming out, interestingly though the new Land Rover Defender coming out (if it is not Brexited to death) will be unibody.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
You're forgetting the Toyota 4Runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser (and their Lexus/global variants) and Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56/80 as well. I am glad to hear that the new Expedition is still a BOF, I knew the prior generations were.

Grump E-Vet

You're forgetting the Toyota 4Runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser (and their Lexus/global variants) and Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56/80 as well. I am glad to hear that the new Expedition is still a BOF, I knew the prior generations were.

Except for the Toyota 4Runner and Landcruiser (I would add Hi-lux) everyone forgot those... I will say I have personally beat the ******** out of Toyota vehicles in some of the roughest places on earth and they hold up well, even when you pack about 16 Afghans into the bed.

Clutch

<---Pass
That’s probably -10F. Which would be around -23C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been between -10 and 10 degrees where I live this week and this the 3rd winter I have had the truck never had a problem.
Canada laughs at your puny -10. Ha! That isn't cold. That's t-shirt weather. lol

Meanwhile in Florida...

50444223_2221814554535647_3134846081880293376_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
18 degrees here today and I can't convince my kid to put a light jacket on. My wife worries about him, I said let him freeze.

Kinda warm here, 20's at night, 40's during the day. Has been a fairly mild winter this season. Don't think we had any negative temps in the valley yet. High country yes though.

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
Exactly and in all of our years together it is literally the only thing that she has ever asked for. l'd like to make that happen for her.

Oh for sure, I'll be in the Toyota subforums continuing the 4Runner build thread and hopefully starting one for the Land Cruiser soon. And I am sure I will still be popping into the domestic subforum to keep up with what all of you are up to. It's going to be weird being without a truck for the first time in over a decade.
A cheap little utility trailer and you’ll forget all about us.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
"She's gone, oh I, oh I'd
Better learn how to face it
She's gone, oh I, oh I'd
Pay the devil to replace her
She's gone, what went wrong"

The truck is off to Idaho as of this afternoon, but not before making stops in Nebraska, Colorado, and Utah along the way. She'll be missed by some of the locals here and of course yours truly. I hope that the new owner continues to post future updates on the truck here in my build thread.

Filling her up one last time.

PCAJS32.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior