eBay Earthroamer in OK

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
One of those pics just gave me a ******? moment...

WTF_57.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
"This is EARTHROAMER #003 (there have only been less than 150 made so far) THIS IS A COLLECTOR EXPEDITION VEHICLE!!"

Just asking, but can you have a collector vehicle that they're still making for sale to anyone with the funds? Alternately, can anyone think of any expedition truck they've made MORE of than the XV-LT? :sombrero:

A handsome rig, but note the early serial number (though you've got to figure it's well debugged by now) and the F450 chassis. FWIW, #009, an '05 on the F450, was listed for sale on ExPo a year and a half ago and there was useful information in the sale thread, which is here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117158

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
So the bidding ended at $80,000, which not surprisingly failed to meet the reserve. Now I know that it was one of the earliest ones and on the F450 chassis, but it nevertheless is 90% the same rig as is selling new for four times that amount now. I sure don't need one, and don't know about the reserve, but at anything less than 5 figures, it seems a killer deal.

If anyone has seen the truck and has an opinion about it, please post up.

fike

Adventurer
I can see why it didn't sell. People who have the cash to buy an earthroamer are buying luxury and want it new. They don't buy any of that used crap.

As a practical machine for regular folks going on expeditions, it is a bit overwrought with luxury, and I think in the used market, people won't pay that luxury premium.

I also think all that luxury bloats its weight increasing the requirements for burliness with enormous power and super-duty suspension requirements. Big does have its disadvantages. What is the expression, 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall.'

adam88

Explorer
This is no surprise. The early ones (2004's) on the F450 chassis have been selling sub-100k for a long time.

Poohbah

dwh,

If you're ever in Santa Fe, I can introduce you to this thing...or at least let you look across the fence at it. Be careful about your curiosity, we do have aliens out here.

russ240

The auction was ended long before it had a chance to meet reserve. I contacted the seller during the auction, along with several others. He indicated that it was also for sale outside the auction and he might end the auction at any time if he completed a sale. We did discuss price and suffice it to say that it was certainly six figures. I had an appointment to go see it the Saturday before the auction ended but never got the chance because he sold it and ended the auction before it got that far. I have been watching the older used ER's for some time. Anything under $150k does not last long in my experience. I believe there are LOTS of buyers in the low six figure range that are not afraid or offended by buying something used. I personally am offended by taking a big depreciation hit when buying something new though, hence I 'm not interested in a new one or the price tag that comes with it. Now if I could just place an order with the Used ER factory for another one like this ....

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
dwh,

If you're ever in Santa Fe, I can introduce you to this thing...or at least let you look across the fence at it. Be careful about your curiosity, we do have aliens out here.

I'll keep that in mind. But A) I wanna know more about that thing. Place for the mother-in-law? Cold storage? Sweat lodge? And B) Those aliens are probably my relatives, so no worries there. Unless you're talking about illegal aliens...in which case I may have inadvertently fathered a few of them during my mis-spent youth.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This is no surprise. The early ones (2004's) on the F450 chassis have been selling sub-100k for a long time.
Well, that's news to me. And here I thought I had been paying good attention. :(

Are these private sales you refer to? I knew of one at $95K, but it was a little tattered, and certainly didn't make me think five figures was the norm. The "Anything under $150K doesn't last long" observation in Russ240's post was more in line with my understanding.

In any event, he, and me, would obviously like to know if you see any more of the cheap ones, so please give us a heads up next time.

Poohbah

That actually fits with the local story that "a European family had a serious mechanical issue that caused them to abandon the vehicle at this repair facility". I have no clue whether that is true or not, but I'll contact the shop for the real story. Dwh, I was speaking of those "aliens" for which legality is of no consequence...at least not on this planet.

Poohbah

Just to follow up on the outrageous high jack of this thread. Contrary to the rumors, the "interesting alien unimog" referred to locally as the "Mars Roamer" has NOT been abandoned, but is owned by a German gentleman named Klaus who is definitely a human being. He and his family settled in Santa Fe after their world travels. He is planning on an expedition to Asia sometime in the future and is very much interested in coming to this site for information. I'm sure he can offer a lot of valuable insight from his travels. Delightful guy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles