Eco-Roamer - F650 based Expedition Vehicle

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Jay & Family,
Give a heads up when you are here in Arizona as there are a ton of us who would like to meet up.
Oh and if you need a place to stay near Sky Harbor Airport in Phx my place is aval and it is easy to get to there.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Jay is this going out to Usal Beach?
5288597470_5e2f4715ee_z.jpg

jayshapiro

Adventurer
...and a crappy new year!

...and a crappy New Year!

A word of warning to all of you writing threads on ExPo. This is what happens when you post bold statements about how great things are going, and what your plans are for the next 4 months:

5290672262_b5125829ac_z.jpg

Christmas Eve in San Jose, CA.

We were (luckily!) traveling at about 5 MPH around a left-turn in a major urban intersection, when the right-rear suspension broke (I think we fractured a leaf spring) dropping the camper down on top of the wheel, which then kept rotating and ripped the entire rear axle off.

Fortunately, we stopped the truck before any MAJOR damage was done, like the camper falling over onto it's side.

Here's some more pics:

5290672950_56f35ff476.jpg

Our new four wheel steering system.

5290674366_b915d375a4.jpg

The offending leaf spring.

5290677068_e6ecfc90e4.jpg

The compass is pointing N-S, but the GPS says we're going E-W!??

5290089769_db88f9798d.jpg

This is what the new "Hover EcoRoamer" would look like...

As some of you have commented in the past, The EcoRoamer is a little bit, "large" - and so loading it onto a tow truck and clearing it out of the intersection was a bit of a challenge:

5290079241_6ced4ae8b2.jpg

All of the pics are available at: http://bit.ly/EcoRoamer-OMFG

Needless to say, our expedition plans have changed slightly, and we're now stuck in San Jose for a while. The truck goes in to Ross Equipment tomorrow, where we will start piecing it back together and making it a lot stronger.

Ironically, the rear suspension was the only part of the truck (pretty much) that was stock Ford, and not replaced / beefed-up during the build. Not that I now regret that or anything...

-sigh-

Jay.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Jay is this going out to Usal Beach?

Nope. It was on the Howland Hill Road in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park - easily one of my favorite drives we've found on the entire North American Continent.

I highly recommend it to anyone going through Northern California.

You enter it at South Fork Rd, off of hwy 199, and take it through the Redwoods back to Crescent City, CA. Be sure to stop at the Boy Scout Tree Trail along the way and hike in the 2.88 mile trail. It's beautiful. (great for Geocaching too!)

Cheers,
Jay.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Ah, that sucks. I'm in Morgan Hill, about a 1/2hr south of you. Let me know if you need anything: fab work, help getting parts, need a ride, whatever.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Holy smokes!

I am so sorry to see this Jay. Glad everyone is alright, and the damage was limited respectively. Depending on how long it takes to fix, and if you stay in the area, I might be through the bay while you are there.

-Kevin

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Nope. It was on the Howland Hill Road in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park - easily one of my favorite drives we've found on the entire North American Continent.

I highly recommend it to anyone going through Northern California.

You enter it at South Fork Rd, off of hwy 199, and take it through the Redwoods back to Crescent City, CA. Be sure to stop at the Boy Scout Tree Trail along the way and hike in the 2.88 mile trail. It's beautiful. (great for Geocaching too!)

Cheers,
Jay.

I could not agree more. The first time I did it was on a motorcycle trip a few years back. Funny thing, the KOA in Crescent City is one of the nicest KOA's in the country.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow,

Not sure if that is bad luck, or good luck that nothing worse happened as you say.

I looked at the photos, those kids of yours are amazing, they sure look like real troopers!

Real sorry about this. Is everyone doing ok? I mean this is your home after all.

Well, my wife sends her Best as well.

Brian

kjp1969

Explorer
That's hard to look at- but still, not the worst possible way or place to discover a weak link. With this much custom work, there are bound to be a couple of twists and turns. Glad to hear that everyone is okay, and that the damage is limited and fixable.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
oh that is horrible Jay. glad no one was hurt and equally glad that the rig was not destroyed.

Funny you mention the Jedediah Smith Redwoods. The wife and I spent a week over there a few years ago and had a really good time.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Jay, please take this in the way it is intended...
But you guys are SUPER LUCKY when it really comes down to it...
Imagine if this had happen in Utah or elsewhere on a shelf road?
Or on the highway curvy off ramp with any kind of speed...
Or even where it did but resulting in the rig on it's side and someone hurt (I know you already mentioned that one).

It is really tough to think in these terms now but this is pretty much one of the best times & places to have this happen.

Keep the spirits high and I hope this is the worst you face for a long time.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
WOW!! Like everyone else has said, "THAT SUCKS!!" Thank God you were going 5mph and not 55mph and thank your lucky stars you were still in the states

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles