Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

jgaz

Adventurer
I picked this up to mount under my Taco's ashtray to hook my Whynter through.

12376744_10203804048902242_9043830255352835012_n.jpg

Nice! What brand is that and where did you buy it? Thanks.

XJINTX

Explorer
How's your plug connection holding up? I'm thinking of doing the same (alternator plug) set-up.
Thank you_Jeff

I too would like to do this in my Jeep... however I want to be able to still use my 12vdc Cig adapter plug in my car if desired. Does anyone know what type and a source for the plug at the refrigerator end? A new cord is like $48 and I think I'd rather make the alternator plug setup without cutting my current Cigarette plug cable. If I can't buy the correct plug I guess I can just buy 2 alternator type plugs and just have refrigerator cable with female end plug into hot cable end like Barukinzs or just put other Cig plug I cut off and add male end too. Sorry for the ramble ;)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I too would like to do this in my Jeep... however I want to be able to still use my 12vdc Cig adapter plug in my car if desired. Does anyone know what type and a source for the plug at the refrigerator end? A new cord is like $48 and I think I'd rather make the alternator plug setup without cutting my current Cigarette plug cable. If I can't buy the correct plug I guess I can just buy 2 alternator type plugs and just have refrigerator cable with female end plug into hot cable end like Barukinzs or just put other Cig plug I cut off and add male end too. Sorry for the ramble ;)

Discussed at several points in this thread. It's a Polarized IEC C7 connector, standard for many japanese TVs and stereo components: http://smile.amazon.com/Polarized-E...73602&sr=8-8&keywords=c7+power+cord+polarized

AaronK

Explorer
I bought a similar panel on Amazon and the volt meter is WAY off. What's your experience with yours?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I bought a similar panel on Amazon and the volt meter is WAY off. What's your experience with yours?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.
I haven't mounted it yet but you got me curious. I took it downstairs to check it on my jumper box. It registered 12.8. Seemed about right but I didn't have anything to check the reading against.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Yes, I have the Whynter travel bag on my Edgestar and it fits perfect and everything lines. I heard edgestar is made by whynter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-45-qt-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-FM-45G/202555696

also think about the dual fridge/freezer model its crazy cheap for what you get and homedepo would be n easy return.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202555698-_-203569129-_-N

Find a 10% off coupon for homedepo and you can get it for under $600.

Thanks for the link, I got a HD gift card for xmas and used it to buy the dual zone model. It just got delivered and I have it plugged in to 120 to make sure everything works. 1/2 hour now and it's down from 78 to 26 in the freezer part!

Loving this thing so far. Now I just need to build a slide for it and get it mounted in the back of the Xterra! Thanks for all the good ideas on this thread folks!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure the transformer in my fridge took a dump. It works on AC but the DC side no workee. According to Edgestar vid the transformer is the offending part, but I'll be danged if I can find one. I cant even find a "parts" page on the edgestar site. Assuming Edgestar is not in the parts business, does anyone know where I can pick up a transformer?

4RunAmok

Explorer
Pretty sure the transformer in my fridge took a dump. It works on AC but the DC side no workee. According to Edgestar vid the transformer is the offending part, but I'll be danged if I can find one. I cant even find a "parts" page on the edgestar site. Assuming Edgestar is not in the parts business, does anyone know where I can pick up a transformer?

I've heard of them sending out parts before. You should call them. Or try calling Compact Appliance (http://www.compactappliance.com/12-volt-fridge-freezer/) and see if they have parts.

MarcoPolo

It may be a issue with the 12V DC circuit, plug, cable or internal connection or relay on power supply.
The AC power supply has a connectors for AC input, 12V DC input, 12V out to compressor module and thermostat. When using AC input, it switches a relay to use power from the converter. When AC is not present, relay is connected to 12V DC input.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Don't you hate it when someone posts looking for help on a problem and then disappears?

Pulled the access panel off my fridge today and got lucky. Every single screw on the terminal strip feeding the power supply was loose. DC side was really loose, and that's why it didn't work. I'm surprised the AC side functioned but it's clock was ticking. Anyway, cranked everybody back down and we're golden. Only wish the turbo install was getting off to such a good start.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Out here camping and the fridge stopped working. Opened it up and found this loose wire. Anybody have a pic of their interior and how it is supposed to look?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Out here camping and the fridge stopped working. Opened it up and found this loose wire. Anybody have a pic of their interior and how it is supposed to look?

Here's a link to the pic, hard to embed on my phone.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22521271@N05/25260652002/in/dateposted/

Make model might help. I just had mine apart and though it looks similar, I can tell there are differences. My power supply hookup doesn't look to be the same, and unfortunately I can't remember the yellow wire in question. By the looks of it I'd hazard that it might hook to the back of your controller. If you carefully peal up the sticker that is the front of your controller you should find a couple screws. Undo those and th controller should pull out enough that you can check out the backside. Don't finger the sticker too much in the process. Stick it to a piece of wax paper for storage till you're ready to put it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz