Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
For those questioning the 12V power source and wiring from the battery. You might check around in your local area and see if any of you local ARB dealers have the fridge load tester. Basically ARB build a load and when combined with a voltmeter will accurately determine what your power source is going to do under load. For example heavy gauge wiring is going to see minimal loss however load up small gauge wires often present in OE 12V outlets (newer Toyota's for example) has considerable loss and will error out the fridge or cause failure to run. Any Utah locals are welcome to swing by here for a quick test.

K2ZJ

Explorer
We had a battery drain issue on our 80. This was on an 02 F250 diesel, it has two batteries and they died day 3 after running the truck twice a day to and from our hunting area. It is about 10-15 minutes of driving each way, so I don't know if it was the short runs and multiple starts, or the fridge. After we jumped the truck and unplugged the fridge, it was fine the rest of the trip.

khronus79

Adventurer
Anyone knows where to get power cords ( both AC and DC), my dog decided to chew on them, I checked their website but $40+ per wire seems a bit ridiculous, can I get something similar at the local radio shack???

TXLX

Observer
Anyone knows where to get power cords ( both AC and DC), my dog decided to chew on them, I checked their website but $40+ per wire seems a bit ridiculous, can I get something similar at the local radio shack???

I actually just figured this out the other day. Edgestar wants some crazy money for a replacement. I ordered a c7 polarized plug & cord off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-2-Sl...8&qid=1404268299&sr=8-2&keywords=C7+polarized

I wired it direct into my 12v system (no more crappy cigarette plug). Works like a champ now.

Last edited:

khronus79

Adventurer
Well guys since I was in a pinch I just didn't have enough time to buy anything over the internet, so I took my chewed up cables to the local 'shack and purchase 2 cables that looked just like the ones I had. I just came back from camping and I'm happy to report that the cheap radioshack power cords worked flawlessly. BTW I paid $20 for both cables.

How does 30 for the pair sound? I just primed and painted them that prob wouldn't hold up to turnbuckles, that was my original plan but I liked the straps better and I mad those from existing parts I had. Turnbuckles were pricey for closed body ones.

If you do another round, please put me down for a pair!!!

RotorHead04

Observer
How does 30 for the pair sound? I just primed and painted them that prob wouldn't hold up to turnbuckles, that was my original plan but I liked the straps better and I mad those from existing parts I had. Turnbuckles were pricey for closed body ones.

I'll take a set next build run. They look great.

kai38

Explorer

I just came back from a 10 day trip and didn't even think to bring the 110 power cord.
I stayed at a friends house 2 days during the trip and could have used a power cord instead of worrying about the battery volts dropping.
When I got home I went to Goodwill and picked up a computer power cord for .99 cents and placed in my travel power bag for next road trip where it might come in handy. I don't want to bring the one from home in case it gets left behind.

fubar

Adventurer
The best mod I've one to my Edgestar is the addition of an Overland Solar 60w solar panel. I have been able to power the fridge and various LED lights for more than 4 days of filtered sun without significantly discharging the single type 27 Kirkland deep cycle battery in my trailer. I did pay attn to where the sun was and adjusted the panel accordingly.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
That is what I recall, yes.

Should be able to confirm just by plugging it into 12V and checking the connections with a meter.

thelal

Observer
Flashing error code 7

I have a FP630 (Edgestart 63qt) via scratch-n-small-dent. Worked great first few weeks (mostly 110v and on 12v fine
) and then packed up one day before we left on our long trip (http://TheLongWayHome.us)
IT kinda went 'fizzle' sound - say a flashing code 7 on the display and then nothing.
Putting back on 110v or trying again on (different 12v battery/car/wiring) didn't do anything

Edgestar techs sent out a new LCD display but didn't make any differnce. They sent out a new power transformer (just put in yesterday) and that at least got power back (from wires) and to LED. Back flashing code 7 again. Edgestar doesn't know what this code means - Duh! - someone has programmed it so it must be in some manual somewhere!

I'm thinking when the power supply blew it blew the next controller unit (has sticker with DCCNV1.2ME0351 on it and 8 pins). Two of the wires (brown and blue) come from the transformer (with 12.99v) and two wires come/go to the fan unit to the right of the compressor. Bottom pin has yellow wire that will go to lc.
Can someone check theirs so in case if I have the wiring wrong.

Any idea on what the 'controller uni't is and where I'd get another (or figure out who the manf. is)
Any idea on how to diagnose this flashing code 7 (on the LCD) and it has lights up Run (red) and Low (yellow) at the same time. This occurs every 3-5 secs.

Really don't want to ditch this and find another fridge (as sliders fit, fridge fits, size right etc.)
Frustrating trying to deal with this as we're travelling and Edgestars lack of technical competence.

Anyone got a dead (trashed) unit they'd like to swap parts?

Help! - email brendan@lally dot info
Currently heading from Bend, OR down to California before getting into Mexico (via NV, AZ, UT, CO, TX)
Thanks

DSCN5737 (768x1024).jpg
DSCN5746 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN5738 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

thelal

Observer
EdgeStar won't fix it - say its defective and need to trash it. Get initial monies back but unlikely to replace for same purchase price. Still think its the controller unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles