Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

teddyearp

Adventurer
So, it seems as though the Edgestars are good for maybe two years or so, yes? Of course there are those who get the 'good' ones that last much longer, but . . .
Scratch and Dent 25 Inch Wide 1.4 Cu. Ft. Portable Fridge/Freezer with 12V DC Power Capability
$323.99 w/ LIVEITUP coupon code.
https://www.openboxdirect.com/edges...-scratch-and-dent-refrigerators/FP430-SD.html
And that is how I bought mine just over two years ago. For less than $300 shipped. It lived on the back seat of my Jeep KJ all that time. First outing was from WA through the UT and AZ deserts (sort of), but through 100 degree ambient. I even had to set it to 35 degrees to keep my stuff from freezing. Now that I've moved back to AZ, I've kept it there on the back seat and used it for when I go grocery shopping during lunch breaks and it (used) to stay 2 degrees +/- of the setting. The last couple of weeks though, the readout has gone up to 47 or so degrees. I haven't changed a thing. Kind of ruined my planned camping trip this weekend since I did not want to chance warm beer. LOL.

Guess since the Edgestar FP430 and all it's parts have been discontinued I'll have to look to some better and more reliable brands. It sure was great while it lasted . . .

Probably a Q for a new thread but, Dometic? Engel? ARB is kind of out of my range, but are they that much worth it? I mean if an ARB is that much worth it, then I only live once and do not have that much more.

Coachgeo

Explorer
...Probably a Q for a new thread but, Dometic? Engel? ARB is kind of out of my range, but are they that much worth it? I mean if an ARB is that much worth it, then I only live once and do not have that much more.
lot of threads, post on this topic. IMHO the top brands are minisqually better and a third to double the price.... and most what you pay for is the name... granted they earned the name by being either a good product or by hook-n-crook. usually both.

rudee13

I've had edgestar and wynter on my list for a while but yesterday I ran across this on amazon. .

Costway 54 Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Compact Vehicle Car Mini Fridge Electric Cooler for Truck Party, Travel, Picnic Outdoor, Camping(-4°F to 50°F)(Black and Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG4Q1YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lQ2BBbKY7NYW9

Did a little research and some chatter about it being a rebadged smittybilt. For size and price gotta say looks pretty good.
As of now I'm torn between the wynter 65qt and this costway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

teddyearp

Adventurer
lot of threads, post on this topic. IMHO the top brands are minisqually better and a third to double the price.... and most what you pay for is the name... granted they earned the name by being either a good product or by hook-n-crook. usually both.
For sure the fridge 'wars' can go on and on here. Every other thread almost. ;)

teddyearp

Adventurer
I've had edgestar and wynter on my list for a while but yesterday I ran across this on amazon. .

Costway 54 Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer Compact Vehicle Car Mini Fridge Electric Cooler for Truck Party, Travel, Picnic Outdoor, Camping(-4°F to 50°F)(Black and Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG4Q1YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lQ2BBbKY7NYW9

Did a little research and some chatter about it being a rebadged smittybilt. For size and price gotta say looks pretty good.
As of now I'm torn between the wynter 65qt and this costway.

And here's the thing. I am curious about these new brands as well. There's Costway and Smad popping up around. But are these going to be the next edgestar/whynter that last only a couple of years or need some tweaking to make work well after a couple years?

I want to go one more time and be done with it.

Coachgeo

Explorer
And here's the thing. .... I want to go one more time and be done with it.
Devils advocate: therein lies the conflict of a circulating world.... we want quality. buy it once and be done as you say.. but in real world reality having it at some level of NOT quality is best for everyone as a whole. Replacing every couple years keeps the world employed (Innovating new, manufacture, repair old, waste management, recycling etc etc)

Last edited:

teddyearp

Adventurer
there in lies the conflict of a circulating world.... we want quality. buy it once and be done as you say.. but in real world reality having it at some level of NOT quality is best for everyone as a whole. Replacing every couple years keeps the world employed (Innovating new, manufacture, repair old, waste management, recycling etc etc)
Oh I get that for sure. I call it the bic lighter syndrome. Of course it probably started with Gillette's 'new' disposable razors over a hundred years ago, he he.

jeffbett

I am pretty sure the Costways (and a couple more names) are the same as an Indel B with the controls slightly moved, etc. I have seen some specific moldings in both that would be to big of coincidence. The Costways do NOT have a 120 volt power converter built in, 12 volt only with an external converter, must keep the cost down some. One option it that they sell for $399 on Ebay and then Ebay has 15-20% everything coupons about once every month or 2. That takes $60-80 off. They charge CA sales tax. The question is how good are they? Does this fall under the Harbor Freight style of purchases. If you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of 1 of the others do you come out ahead?

Varano14

I hope this isn't to far off topic but there is an active thread over on Overland Bound about the costway fridges. I believe someone already has one and said the smittybilt cover fit perfectly. Another poster has one on order, so some real life opinions may be available soon.

mikeleung

So I ordered a factory scratch and dent from eBay...it was listed for $280, but with the eBay 15% off....it came out to $238 with free shipping. The eBay ad didnt say the name of the fridge, but all the pictures and descriptions were excatly the same as the Costway.
IMG_20180815_162643.jpg

The package came and it was indeed a Costway fridge. The only damage was to the cardboard box. The fridge was in brand new condition.
IMG_20180815_162651.jpg
So far so good...only tested in my house, but will be putting it thru its paces Labor Day

rudee13

So I ordered a factory scratch and dent from eBay...it was listed for $280, but with the eBay 15% off....it came out to $238 with free shipping. The eBay ad didnt say the name of the fridge, but all the pictures and descriptions were excatly the same as the Costway.
View attachment 466257

The package came and it was indeed a Costway fridge. The only damage was to the cardboard box. The fridge was in brand new condition.
View attachment 466258
So far so good...only tested in my house, but will be putting it thru its paces Labor Day
How did you find it on ebay? Where are the % discounts on ebay? Curious mind want to know bro, pm if you don't mind. Great deal.
I'll probably pull the trigger on costway if I don't get a wynter 65qt. The costway is great price and smaller footprint for my needs. I've seen the costway as a generic no brand as well. Keep us updated on performance. Thx

mikeleung

How did you find it on ebay? Where are the % discounts on ebay? Curious mind want to know bro, pm if you don't mind. Great deal.
I'll probably pull the trigger on costway if I don't get a wynter 65qt. The costway is great price and smaller footprint for my needs. I've seen the costway as a generic no brand as well. Keep us updated on performance. Thx

So eBay has these 15 and 20% sales every once a while. I have seen at least 2-3 in the past 2 months. The sales only last for day....so have to check deal websites like www.slickdeals.com for them

I got lucky when I was searching for a fridge and found a stratch and dent one. Heres a link to the one I found

https://www.ebay.com/itm/54-Quart-P...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yroundrdn

Observer
So after all the research and reading through this thread I made the decision to purchase the FP63. So far I am really happy with it. I've been running it in the Suburban for the last two weeks. I have a separate RV battery with solar that it runs on and at night the battery has gotten down to 11 volts but most of the time it stays at 12. I have the fridge set all the way down to the 10 volts before shutting off but for some reason it still shuts off when it drops below 11volts. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've read through the manual, emailed tech support, (no response), and reset everything but still getting the same problem. Am I missing something???

ViperNL

Observer
So after all the research and reading through this thread I made the decision to purchase the FP63. So far I am really happy with it. I've been running it in the Suburban for the last two weeks. I have a separate RV battery with solar that it runs on and at night the battery has gotten down to 11 volts but most of the time it stays at 12. I have the fridge set all the way down to the 10 volts before shutting off but for some reason it still shuts off when it drops below 11volts. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've read through the manual, emailed tech support, (no response), and reset everything but still getting the same problem. Am I missing something???
The battery usually drops under load, my voltage indicator dropped to the low 12s, high 11s even when the battery showed 12.8 not running. That's the first thing that popped in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles