Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Racks, Accessories, Applications, Q&A

3cTactical

Hi Paul - thanks for the quick answer. So, I am hell-bent on having a table mount under the rack I am going to put on our 4Runner. This I must ask - how did you relocate you shark-fin? I've read that there is only about a half inch of stuff under that big fin and that you could conceivably shave it down, but it wasn't conclusive. And of course I am not sure exactly what antennae it contains and the wife loves her XM radio, so I can't do anything that would hinder XM reception (or navigation, for that matter). Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Thanks for the great link to the antenna alternative. It looks like a smart solution if you want to go with a lower mounting stance with the K9 rack on 40mm feet. Very cool. But I don't believe it would lower the antenna enough with the 65mm feet to allow the table mount to clear. The table needs about 2" of clearance below the rack to work correctly.

What I did was I removed the shark fin completely and sealed the two holes with a series of steel and neoprene fender and flat washers with bolts and nylock nuts. I disconnected the antenna in the roof and left the cable in place. I also disconnected the cable at the stereo and left in place as well. So in the future if the next owner wanted to reconnect the antenna it was all there to do so. I picked up a Sirius XM magnetic mount antenna and placed it on the top of the hood by the windshield, ran the micro coax through the firewall and had a friend of mine splice a Toyota proprietary plug onto the cable and plugged it in the back of the stereo. Now I have my radio and nav in good order, and a clear reception plane on the hood instead of under the roof rack.

2013-05-08 14.35.48.jpg2013-05-08 14.34.45.jpgIMG_0215.JPG

Cheers

3cTactical

Thanks guys - really answered a lot of my questions. Now to figure out a mounting solution that will allow me to (relatively easily) switch the rack from the 4Runner to an over the bed rack on my truck.

I would say that 90% of the time, I don't need the rack on the 4Runner, so I don't plan on having it mounted up there permanently. But when I need it, I need it, so it has to be able to be removed and installed fairly easily. For the times it is not on the 4Runner, I plan to store it in my garage via a hoist system and the rest of the time I plan to keep it over the bed of my truck where it would be quite useful from time to time to help carry extra cargo. And it will have to do this while allowing for the Eezi Awn table to remain mounted under the rack.

This, I am fairly confident the factory K9 type mounting will not work for me. I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head about how to accomplish this, but I wanted to hit you guys up and see if perhaps any of you had some ideas on a way to do this or maybe had already done something similar.

H

High Country Nomads

As anyone here mounted a Yakima or Thule case to their K9 rack without using risers and bars? Possibly drilling and running a bolt/wing nut thru the Case & Rack? I'm trying to find pictures or experience before I do so. All the strollers in my life are squeezing us out of the 4Runner already. :)

Equipt

I have a Front Runner roof rack and want to mount an RTT.

Do you happen to know if the Eezi Awn K9 Roof Top Tent Mounting Kit will work with Front Runner racks?
http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-roof-top-tent-mounting-kit

Front Runner makes an RTT mount as well but it seems really overpriced for what it is.
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/tents-awnings/front-runner-rack-tent-mount-kit.html

Thanks for the help.

It is possible, if you turn your rack upside down. The goal of the FR mounts is to elevate the RTT enough to clear the edge on the rack. The Eezi-Awn K9 mounts are designed to work with their flat top platform. Line up the mounts parallel to the slats, lower tent on rack, turn mounts perpendicular to slats and tighten. So if you turn your rack over and make the top the flat side, it will work out.

Cheers,

Equipt

As anyone here mounted a Yakima or Thule case to their K9 rack without using risers and bars? Possibly drilling and running a bolt/wing nut thru the Case & Rack? I'm trying to find pictures or experience before I do so. All the strollers in my life are squeezing us out of the 4Runner already. :)

Measure out the width of your mounting track on the bottom of your case and see if you can move the case left or right to align with the spaces between the slats. If so, you could use one of the RTT mount kits or saddle around several of the cross braces. If adjusting to match the spaces doesn't work, drilling through a slat is just fine.

Cheers,

H

High Country Nomads

Measure out the width of your mounting track on the bottom of your case and see if you can move the case left or right to align with the spaces between the slats. If so, you could use one of the RTT mount kits or saddle around several of the cross braces. If adjusting to match the spaces doesn't work, drilling through a slat is just fine.

Cheers,

Thanks Paul. I still have an unopened RTT mount package. I'll try that.

rjplouis

Has anyone purchased the K9 rails for a 2Gen Double Cab Tacoma? If so, did your rails have holes drilled to matched the OEM locations? I recently purchased the double cab Tacoma rails but the drilled holes are evenly spaced and do not match up with the OEM locations. I am trying to figure out if they are all like this or if there is another product available. I emailed Paul but haven't heard back yet.

I was hoping to use the OEM locations, if that product exists. If not, I am not sure if it is better to drill 5 more holes in the rail, which would weaken them, or drill holes in the cab roof to match the holes already drilled in the rails. I guess I could attach the rails with rubber well nuts and hopefully avoid leaking. I'd have to drop the headliner to use the provided hardware, which was button head bolts with nylon lock nuts. I've been planning to add sound deadening and insulation to the roof, so I need to drop the headliner for that project as well. I could do the rails and the insulation project at the same time.

My second question is about bending the rails. Does anyone have tips? The Tacoma rails come "pre bent," but, at least on my truck, the forward 6 to 8 inches need to be bent to sit properly in the gutters.

Any thoughts or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

rjplouis

Well I just went for it. I used the center OEM location and then drilled the roof. I think the rails follow the gutter better this way. I did not need to bend the rails. I started at the back and then used a clamp to flexed the rails just enough to follow the contour of the gutters. It looks really good. The only problem that I had was the well nuts. I attempted to use them but they forced themselves out of the hole when I attempted to tightened them. Maybe I needed a longer well nut? After that did not work, I dropped the headliner and used the supplied hardware. It feels really solid. I put down Butyl tape below the rubber gutter gasket, so hopefully it won't leak.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Has anyone seen this mounted to hey Jeep LJ? It would take bolting the track to the hard top. I think the 49 inch wide version would work. Just want to know if anyone has seen this configuration.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer

I have and for the same reason. I started with a smaller box and realized our stroller didn't fit, so just bought the bigger box around 3' wide and 90 inches long. I removed the yakima grab holds under the box and ran bolts w/ some stainless steel brackets from ACE Hardware to secure it. Same mounting as you would a RTT basically. It'll cost you about $10.00 in material and an hour of your time to get it right. I have no pictures at this time to share though.

Equipt

Has anyone seen this mounted to hey Jeep LJ? It would take bolting the track to the hard top. I think the 49 inch wide version would work. Just want to know if anyone has seen this configuration.

I think this would be absolutely possible. It would be the same set up we use for pickup shells or canopies. We use the same mounting rail, feet and platform as we use on a 4Runner or 200 Series Land Cruiser. We have a rubber boot that fits on the mounting rail, to help seal the holes made for attaching the mounting rail. The rail comes without holes drilled in it, so you can arrange them the way that suits you best. What I did on my Gen 3 Tundra shell is I got a 1/4"x1" piece of aluminum flat stock and used that on the inside of the shell, sandwiching the shell between the rail and flatstock. That really helps with distributing the load stress over more surface. Mounting hardware and that flat stock are not included in the kit, since Eezi-Awn is never sure what the exact application will be for these styles of racks. We use stainless M6 button head cap screws with flat washers and nylock nuts on the inside. The mounting rail has a centering recess that runs the length of the inside of the mounting rail, to ensure your holes keep centered. We have these systems for the 1250mm (50") wide platform in 1400 (55"), 1600 (62"), 1800 (71"), 2000 (79") and 2200mm (87") lengths. Contact me directly if you have other questions.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior