Eezi Awn Series 3 1200 Roof Top Tent Questions

cactusjk

Explorer
I have a few questions on my1200.

1. My cover does not seem to easily fit tight around the base and I am concerned that water/dust will get to the mattress. Is there a trick to seuring the cover?

2. I assume the Eezi Awn logo on the cover is placed on the side that folds out?

3. Any recommendations on the room attachment? Specifically, how is it installed, usefulness, etc.

Any other recommendations greatly welcome.

Thanks

JimC

I've never had a problem with water/dirt infiltration and I've left the tent on top for months at a time. When you get the cover on fully and tightened, it wraps a couple inches under the floor.

I've always placed the logo on the hinge side, but I'm not sure it matters so long as the ratchet strap is accessible.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I have a few questions on my1200.

1. My cover does not seem to easily fit tight around the base and I am concerned that water/dust will get to the mattress. Is there a trick to seuring the cover?

2. I assume the Eezi Awn logo on the cover is placed on the side that folds out?

3. Any recommendations on the room attachment? Specifically, how is it installed, usefulness, etc.

Any other recommendations greatly welcome.

Thanks

I'd recommend you call Paul at Equipt1.com to get real answers.

We don't deal with a lot of 1200's but my experience with the larger Series 3 tents is that the logo goes at the back and the pocket with the ratchet strap at the side.

The covers are generally snug. on the 1200 there is a long side and a short side. Short side goes next to the door on the tent.

Start by making sure your tent is folded away with no material bagging out.

Tighten the compression straps by pulling down on the top wooden surface and then snugging the strap.

Start by locating the cover seam on each corner. Pull the cover down half way all the way around, then all the way down all the way around.

Snug up the strap by hand then put it into the ratchet. As to tighten walk around and pull on the cord so it tightens evenly.

Signcutter21

Adventurer
I found the trick is making sure to tuck all the canvas and fly into the "accordion" folds. The first few times I needed somebody to help pull the fold out down to get enough room. The last couple times, after spending a few more seconds preparing it, it closed and theres almost to much cover. I'm actually waiting for sheets to dry so i can put sheet/comforter in there and see how it packs down.

as far as the opening for the ratchet flap. Mine has a extra cloth/carpet like piece sewn in. I put that over where the ladder section is to avoid puncturing it. As it sits, the opening is over the tongue.

I also learned a valuable lesson. Store the support rods on the mounted section of floor. I had placed it at the opening by the ladder last time. When I flipped it open this time, the rod bag slid down the mattress and fell on the ground. Don't think it'd be possible to fall out while in transport, but i'm not risking it.

later, mike

oh btw that stove is great, cant wait to use it this weekend.

edit: oh sure now the experts start weighing in. lol.

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice. I have that carpet piece at the base of the ladder (i.e., side away from the hinge).

Does anyone have the room enclosure?

Glad the stove worked out!

Jeff

I found the trick is making sure to tuck all the canvas and fly into the "accordion" folds. The first few times I needed somebody to help pull the fold out down to get enough room. The last couple times, after spending a few more seconds preparing it, it closed and theres almost to much cover. I'm actually waiting for sheets to dry so i can put sheet/comforter in there and see how it packs down.

as far as the opening for the ratchet flap. Mine has a extra cloth/carpet like piece sewn in. I put that over where the ladder section is to avoid puncturing it. As it sits, the opening is over the tongue.

I also learned a valuable lesson. Store the support rods on the mounted section of floor. I had placed it at the opening by the ladder last time. When I flipped it open this time, the rod bag slid down the mattress and fell on the ground. Don't think it'd be possible to fall out while in transport, but i'm not risking it.

later, mike

oh btw that stove is great, cant wait to use it this weekend.

edit: oh sure now the experts start weighing in. lol.

HDM

Observer
Here’s another trick. BEFORE collapsing the tent, I fold the mattress in half on the fixed side of the base and carefully spread the bedding and/or sleeping bags on top of the folded mattress. This method insures everything inside is at a uniform height and eliminates all sliding of the mattress and thus any chance of getting some of the mattress fabric stuck in the hinge area when setting it up.

If you find you want more insulation (er, or padding) try adding a sheet of closed-cell foam to each of the base sections. The piece on the base section is loose, but the section on the folding side is attached using screws and fender washers at the corners. I used ½” foam and it’s now a very cushy sleep with fewer cold spots in the winter. The only downside is that it adds a full inch (i.e. ½” x 2) to the interior content height and thus I need to be careful what/how I pack. (i.e. see above).

The lower room has three sides (i.e. the vehicle creates the forth), no floor and is an excellent piece of kit – particularly when in group camps with spouse, kids, dogs, etc. The unit will come with the canvas room and three aluminum rails that you’ll need to install onto the folding portion of the base. Instructions will be included and installation is a snap. Once done and with the tent deployed, you'll take the top edge of the canvas [which has a bolt rope sew into it] and slide it into round slotted channel in the rail you just installed; you then work the rope/canvas around the three sides and voila – a room. It’s really quick to put up and take down but if windy, you’ll need stake it out (stakes included).

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
Great info. Sounds like the room is pretty sound. Was not sure if the sides of the room next to the truck would flap around scratching the sides, etc.

I am very impressed with the quality of responses on this site. Having completed my FJ expedition build I am now ready to hit the trails!

Here’s another trick. BEFORE collapsing the tent, I fold the mattress in half on the fixed side of the base and carefully spread the bedding and/or sleeping bags on top of the folded mattress. This method insures everything inside is at a uniform height and eliminates all sliding of the mattress and thus any chance of getting some of the mattress fabric stuck in the hinge area when setting it up.

If you find you want more insulation (er, or padding) try adding a sheet of closed-cell foam to each of the base sections. The piece on the base section is loose, but the section on the folding side is attached using screws and fender washers at the corners. I used ½” foam and it’s now a very cushy sleep with fewer cold spots in the winter. The only downside is that it adds a full inch (i.e. ½” x 2) to the interior content height and thus I need to be careful what/how I pack. (i.e. see above).

The lower room has three sides (i.e. the vehicle creates the forth), no floor and is an excellent piece of kit – particularly when in group camps with spouse, kids, dogs, etc. The unit will come with the canvas room and three aluminum rails that you’ll need to install onto the folding portion of the base. Instructions will be included and installation is a snap. Once done and with the tent deployed, you'll take the top edge of the canvas [which has a bolt rope sew into it] and slide it into round slotted channel in the rail you just installed; you then work the rope/canvas around the three sides and voila – a room. It’s really quick to put up and take down but if windy, you’ll need stake it out (stakes included).

cactusjk

Explorer
I got the cover pretty much worked out. What is the easiest way for one person to get the accordion folds right? Is the a small collapsible ladder I can take along? To get the tent folded right so the cover fits it takes a while for one person!

cactusjk

Explorer
The next logical question is do you cover the mattress? Specifically, to keep from trashing the mattress with dirt what size sheets, pad? etc. if any are people using with the 1200? It gets pretty hot here in AZ and I plan on keeping this tent a long time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior