electric blankets 12V?

jadmt

I tried searching but could not really find anything. We camped in our GFC and it got down in the 20's and it got pretty cold. I don't really want to use a diesel heater and I know a propane heater will cause a lot more moisture than we already get from just breathing. Has anyone found a 12V electric blanket/pad that works? If so better to sleep on top of it or use on top? how much power do they take? My wife and I much prefer sleeping with traditional blankets and down comforter vs sleeping bags. Thanks

jadmt

Bigger truck stops sell them in the shop
john, thanks for the reply, I realized after reading my post over I was not really clear. I am wondering if anyone is actually using one and if so how are they working and what kind of power draw do they take, are they worth using? thanks jeff

chet6.7

Explorer
I have this one, I have only used it to preheat the bunk when traveling. There is a YT on power consumption by a guy in a Prius.
Electrowarmth Twin, Heated Mattress Pad, Non-Fitted, Size 36 x 60, Model# T36 12V Used in Trucks, RVs, Campers, White

jadmt

Toss one or two of these under your cover or in your bag. Be sure to get the 18 hr ones. View attachment 679753View attachment 679753
I have used cases of those over the years but they are not going to cut it for the bed. in fact i still have a case of them. They just don't radiate enough. When we rode or had to work events in extreme weather we would put them under our vests and pretty much they would just warm the area they were pressed against.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I have used cases of those over the years but they are not going to cut it for the bed. in fact i still have a case of them. They just don't radiate enough. When we rode or had to work events in extreme weather we would put them under our vests and pretty much they would just warm the area they were pressed against.
The ones I use consistently hit 130+ degrees lasting all night, they have a shelf life of approx 2 yrs. They work for my purpose.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
The thermal mass is what makes their comfort last so many hours without further energy input

Compared to a pad drawing 4-5Ah every hour they're plugged in, soon as stopped the heat starts quickly dissipating.

Well designed hydronic heating systems embed pipes carrying liquid below the living / sleeping space, with a well insulated tank, same principle but on a larger scale

llamalander

I use a 12v. mattress pad heater, but usually only to heat the bed then off for the night--too warm to leave on sleeping with a comforter.
If the truck is still running, the power comes from the alternator, otherwise 50-60w. from the battery/ hour
Pretty great, also turn it on on cold mornings before coffee.
Haven't tried it in the 20's, but in the 30-40s it works well--worth the $80+ spent on it.

perterra

Adventurer
john, thanks for the reply, I realized after reading my post over I was not really clear. I am wondering if anyone is actually using one and if so how are they working and what kind of power draw do they take, are they worth using? thanks jeff

Carry something to back it up, I can tell you from Gerbings jackets, riding at 20º and blow a fuse it gets damn cold damn fast. When they work, nothing better, when they blow a fuse you might as well be wrapped up in newspapers sleeping in a dumpster

Regcabguy

Expedition Leader
What works for us is middle weight long underwear. We have a made up bed with a rectangular opened sleeping bag on top. I use Refectix on the canvas. I have a small space heater for when we are hooked up to shore power.

GJK5

I have a few 12 blankets (more like light sleeping bags), originally used them for wife and kids on cold UTV rides and they worked great. I have used them to pre-heat my deepsleep mattress and bag for the Jeep but never run one all night. Planning on rigging them up to run in RTT on new trailer for sure though.