Electric Chain Saw???

Alloy

I've been using the Silky 2000 to clear trails/roads and cut fire wood for 4 years. It is on its 3rd blade.

Spent 6 months considering electric chainsaws and decided to go with a Silky 650.

One of the first things to do with these saws is to Loctite the hinge nut and bolt. 20200306_133644.jpg

JPaul

Observer
Uhhh... I'd like some words. What is happening here?
First one looks like a racing saw, second is someone didn't know what they were doing at all and got the bar pinched in a terrible way.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Alloy

WOW I probably would have just climbed over it but I admire your work ethic. How long did it take?
Guess about 15 min.

Purpose of trail clearing is to limit the impact. Once there's enough blowdown/deadfall blocking a trail people head off in different directions so the trail gets to be 40' wide instead of 4'.

1000arms

Had a chance to used the Silky Saw while hiking.

View attachment 587316
... I admire your work ethic. How long did it take?
Guess about 15 min.

Purpose of trail clearing is to limit the impact. Once there's enough blowdown/deadfall blocking a trail people head off in different directions so the trail gets to be 40' wide instead of 4'.
Thank you.

Hopefully your trail-clearing attitude and work ethic are contagious!

Jman99

Can't see my self is a million years using a battery operated chainsaw, the things loose too much capacity in just 3-5years. Based on other gadgets I have owned. I use a corded unit with the generator, since the genny is required for battery charging, it isn't too much work clearing a track.

86scotty

Cynic
Can't see my self is a million years using a battery operated chainsaw, the things loose too much capacity in just 3-5years. Based on other gadgets I have owned. I use a corded unit with the generator, since the genny is required for battery charging, it isn't too much work clearing a track.

My Kobalt (Lowe's) 18v lithium has lost nothing and I've had it for 3-5 years, as you say. It's no replacement for a real chainsaw for home use. Of those I have 3 and I cut and burn a lot of firewood. For the truck there is nothing better than one of these small lithium units, especially for the price.

another_mike

Adventurer
I charge my batteries from my solar while camping. a generator is definitely not required. My makitas also are lasting a good while. Nothing like the old nicads.

but of course I bought the battery chainsaw because I’m not a daily user. The chainsaw sitting for a long time without use and being able to grab it and use it is where it shines.

trae

Adventurer
Does anyone know what’s going on with dewalt 60v chAinsaws? They don’t seem to be available in Canada anymore. I wonder if there’s a refresh cycle coming up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've been using the Silky 2000 to clear trails/roads and cut fire wood for 4 years. It is on its 3rd blade.

Spent 6 months considering electric chainsaws and decided to go with a Silky 650.

One of the first things to do with these saws is to Loctite the hinge nut and bolt. View attachment 571789
XL teeth?
I've been looking at Silky for some time.

Alloy

XL teeth?
I've been looking at Silky for some time.

Yes, XL.

I'd recommend the S650 over the S2000. On my last trail clearing hike I cleared 6 miles in 7hrs using the S650 and a machete. The biggest tree was 27" dia. After that tree I'd had enough and headed home.

Here are felling wedges I've customized. Two are needed for bigger trees. The wedges have been sanded to better fit the curf of the Silky blade. The 5/16" holes make them lighter (backpacking) and the edges help to keep them in place. The wedges only get tapped in by hand or a branch.

20200720_143407[1].jpg

Madoxen

Has anyone had problems with their battry powerd chainsaw in very cold weather? When ur phone and camera die due to cold will the chain saw keep going for fire wood ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles