Adventurer
Those emergency packs which have:
-Small AGM battery
-possible internal very slow battery charger
-Air compressor
-Lights
-12vDC to 120vAC Inverter
-Jumper cables

Might be convenient, but are convenient for short durations only.

The Air compressors have a short duty cycle before they overheat and become worthless. 15 minutes on 30 minutes off or they quit.

The AGM battery is usually 22 A/h maximum.
The lights are just power sucking incandescent
The inverter is usually a square wave inverter that puts out a lot of electrical noise, and can quickly deplete the internal AGM battery.

If the AGM battery is not promptly recharged after use, or recharged monthly, In a year or 2, it will not have enough juice to jump start a vehicle.

LateNate

Adventurer
Those emergency packs which have:
-Small AGM battery
-possible internal very slow battery charger
-Air compressor
-Lights
-12vDC to 120vAC Inverter
-Jumper cables

Might be convenient, but are convenient for short durations only.

The Air compressors have a short duty cycle before they overheat and become worthless. 15 minutes on 30 minutes off or they quit.

The AGM battery is usually 22 A/h maximum.
The lights are just power sucking incandescent
The inverter is usually a square wave inverter that puts out a lot of electrical noise, and can quickly deplete the internal AGM battery.

If the AGM battery is not promptly recharged after use, or recharged monthly, In a year or 2, it will not have enough juice to jump start a vehicle.

Well I have an inverter on the truck so I do have a way of charging it, and we don't need the inverter on the product. We will have plenty of lights in the vehical so I really dont need the light on the product. I just need it for an emergency jump and air compressor.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Okay you need a jumper pack, and you need an air compressor.

If i were in need of these 2 things, I would buy a small (12a/h to 22 a/h) AGM battery and modify some old jumper cables to attach to the posts and be easily removed. I would charge this battery while driving, just by hooking it to the engine battery, and unhook it afterward.

I would buy an air compressor that clips directly to the battery clamps, like the masterflow Mv 50, or similar.

Before I had isolated batteries, I had a small Schumacher brand jumper pack. No bells or whistles, just a ciggy plug. It was a year old when I got it, and it was still able to jump V8's 5 years later. It had a 12 a/h AGM battery, which I still use, to power my 9.6 volt drill. It was also a small package.

Hope you find something which fits your needs.

matt s

Explorer
I think they get a bad rap on this board. I have one of the bigger type with plenty of cranking amps, air compressor, led lights, inverter, DC plug etc. (beware the smaller ones they will not jump a fully dead vehicle)

It is NOT a replacement for good power solutions on and in your vehicle. However they are very handy provided that they are used for their intent. That is as a back up or convenient power source.

I use mine all the time. I jump start my riding lawn mower, inflated the tire on my trailer (rather quickly to my surprise) instead of dragging out the bigger compressor, use the led lights to read by when camping. Run my laptop, charge batteries in cell phones and ipods etc. Having a 110 plug on the picnic table/ in the tent comes in handy at times as well.

We have some remote cabins well off the grid accessible only by boat or plane. The power pack comes along to recharge devices, and provide emergency jump start if needed.

I have jump started numerous vehicles with it, including my own more than I care to admit.

It's going on 3 years old and shows no signs of failure.

Let me restate. This does not replace a good battery setup in vehicle. This does not take the place of my 12 volt air compressor for airing back up. This is not my primary light source. Etc etc. It will do all of those things in a pinch, and for that I like it.

FWIW mine is the Husky brand unit. Home Depot used to sell it, but seems to no longer stock it. I know people with some different versions/brands that just don't work very well and are underpowered. So read the labels for battery cranking amps and amp hours before you buy.

LateNate

Adventurer
I guess the important thing would be being able to air up a tire and jump a battery IN CASE OF EMERGENCY. I wouldn't be constantly using it all the time.

dms1

Explorer
I recommend getting a separate Jump Battery and Air Compressor. You don't want to use the jump battery for running the compressor and if the unit failed you would be without both.

biere

Observer
I have an older jump pack all pulled apart. The only reason I am considering pricing and ordering a battery for it is because I already own it.

I am close to just buying a small motorcycle battery that will have more amp hours than the jump pack battery has and using some cheap jumper cables I already have sitting around the shed to have my own little portable jump pack setup.

I already have a battery charger so it is not a big deal to charge the batteries.

I keep an invertor in my jeep so when I saw a little coleman 1 gallon air compressor for sale used I bought it. The air compressor needs house current to run so I have to use the invertor to run it, but going this route got me decent little air compressor with a tank for keeping in my jeep. Generally the air compressor sells for 100 bucks and is similar to some of the pancake air compressors out there but right now you can find all sorts of stuff for sale at garage sales and I just made sure it worked before I said I would buy it.

I do like the technology of the agm batteries since they don't need to be kept upright, but I always keep stuff secured so it is upright anyway and going with older technology battery with more amp hours for a similar price is worth that trade off to me.

Now when I had several vehicles I owned and was always working on a jump pack was very nice because I was jumping stuff all the time. I never gave any thought to having a small battery of similar weight and using my cheap jumper cables in that way. I tried a big battery that way but carrying around a 40lb battery for a jump pack sucks.

Just my opinion and current setup.

I would prefer to have a 12volt air compressor for the jeep as well but I use the one in the jeep around the house for little stuff as well so it all works out for right now.

LateNate

Adventurer
I think what I am going to do is just buy a regular small air compressor. I have an inverter in the truck so I can plug it into that. If we need to jump the battery, I have these battery cable hook ups that come off our solar panel. So hopefully a charge from that will give the battery some juice to start. A little inconvenient seeing how I have to take the battery out and put it on the roof, but I think that will be the best situation for the truck and trip. No big deal for the little extra work. Everyone seems to dislike to packs so I will stay away. Thanks for all the input guys.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
This is the battery which came in my small Jump pack and probably many others.
UB12120-F2.jpg

http://www.batteryplex.com/universal.cfm/m/UB12120-F2?gclid=CIC9wI3o5KECFWEd5wodOj3lIg

This battery cannot start a vehicle with a fully depleted battery, but will work 90% of the time.
It is 25 dollars.

The solar panel might need 6 hours and possibly much more of sunlight before the battery could start the vehicle. If it then does not work, start over.

If the solar panel is charging a house battery, you could jump the vehicle from the house battery.

I have this compressor. It works very well. harbor freight has a knock off.
http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-Hi-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_1/179-4366909-2461118?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1274499653&sr=8-1

Devices with electric motors such as a 120 volt ac air compressor can overheat when run on a MSW inverter.

If you are interested in this combo of compressor and small battery,I can show you how to easily charge it from your vehicle as you drive, or use it as a jumper battery.

LateNate

Adventurer
This is the battery which came in my small Jump pack and probably many others.
UB12120-F2.jpg

http://www.batteryplex.com/universal.cfm/m/UB12120-F2?gclid=CIC9wI3o5KECFWEd5wodOj3lIg

This battery cannot start a vehicle with a fully depleted battery, but will work 90% of the time.
It is 25 dollars.

The solar panel might need 6 hours and possibly much more of sunlight before the battery could start the vehicle. If it then does not work, start over.

If the solar panel is charging a house battery, you could jump the vehicle from the house battery.

I have this compressor. It works very well. harbor freight has a knock off.
http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-Hi-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_1/179-4366909-2461118?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1274499653&sr=8-1

Devices with electric motors such as a 120 volt ac air compressor can overheat when run on a MSW inverter.

If you are interested in this combo of compressor and small battery,I can show you how to easily charge it from your vehicle as you drive, or use it as a jumper battery.

That seems like a good combo. I like how you can hook it to the battery with the cables.

Yudda

Adventurer
When i was looking for a solution, i researched and came to the conclusion that this was the one that fit my needs.

http://www.amazon.com/QuickCable-Re..._8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1274554137&sr=8-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hjwft_3-G8&playnext_from=TL&videos=SqE0NzFkdiY

easy replaceable battery, Compressor, inverter, & LED light.

they also sell a version for aircraft w/ anderson plugs .

Ive decided, im going with a OBA and a full size battery box/jump box. Importing it to Israel and paying the taxes gets real expensive. For that much i might as well do it right and pay for full capabilities. OBA...tires and air tools.....& a full Amp hr dual batt system.

Hope it helps.
Rob

Last edited:

Yudda

Adventurer
Check out this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27568

all six pages are an excellent source of info on 2nd battery / portable power options.

this thread changed my mind on the regular power packs and the homemade solution at the end convinced me,
to make a portable powerpack and install and charge as a 2nd battery system.

hope it helps,

rob

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles