Engel vs ARB, battle of the frig

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Power consumption is good. I can run the fridge off my 75Ah aux battery for up to 4 days.
According to this chart the DZ has a lower wattage but draws way more amps.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
I think the chart is supposed to read 150 watts not 50 watts for the DZ. Otherwise they have found a way around ohms law.

Darrell
I think 50 is right. It just draws more because the compressor has to work more to provide freezing temps.
I'm not that electrically inclined, so I might be wrong.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I've had my ARB for a while. I like it alot. The only issue I have is that I have to set the temp pretty cold. Like 24 degrees f. And the stuff gets pretty cold but you would think that at 20 degrees it would be frozen. But it doesnt. Dunno if I need a transit bag or a recharge.

lysol

Explorer
I've had my ARB for a while. I like it alot. The only issue I have is that I have to set the temp pretty cold. Like 24 degrees f. And the stuff gets pretty cold but you would think that at 20 degrees it would be frozen. But it doesnt. Dunno if I need a transit bag or a recharge.

hmm, I usually just have to go about 2F below where I want it to be at.

One issue that I'm starting to see is the soft buttons on my ARB are starting to look like a clear plastic layer is separating from the buttons itself. (thinking to myself in my head: That better not be one of those things you have to peal off when you first open the box)...

Kiomon

Adventurer
We love our dual arbs, one 80 for the fridge and a 50 for the freezer in our Mog build. I do agree that the Arbs are optimistic in the temp settings, but they can be calibrated. Also ARB's customer service is great. My handle broke on my fridge in Mexico and they were willing to post it to me in Mexico for free the next day! I do agree that the ARB's look plasticky, but both of ours are covered in the transit bag anyway

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Just buy one, enjoy it, and never look back. I bought a 50q ARB two years ago. It works great!

hoser

Explorer
Push and hold the + and - buttons simultaneously and it'll take you into calibration mode. Mine was off by 4-5 degrees.

motas

Adventurer
Very happy with our engel. Dads originally and I use it now. Probably 15 years old now. Been loaded in the back of the jeep with firewood and beaten around. Just this weekend got absolutely drowned in rain (enough to make my canvas tent also 15+ years old leak). Got lots of dints in it. But it still works fine just have to get it re gassed. The only thing that doesn't work is the temp display. But I can forgive that for the life it's had. Can't speak for the Arb but I don't like the look of them compared to an engel. I like that everything is flat with just a bolted on handle

adam88

Explorer
Found an unbeatable deal on an ARB today and jumped, got the 63qt for 875$ approximately and free shipping! Check out AutoAnything.com their prices are competitive and on top of that they are offering 20% off and free shipping!

Sounds like you got a really good deal. It looks like they made it so coupons don't apply anymore to ARB units :(

Does anyone else know where I can get a good deal on an ARB fridge?

Mccaf

Adventurist
Arb63

I felt compelled to reply here this is a great thread much too old, so bump.
I bought an ARB63 off Craig’s list July/2017 with the slider and the thermal wrap.

It’s has been running in the garage ever since as a beer cooler.
No Problems.
It is always precooled for trips to the desert and weekend
Camping trips.

I figure it’s drawing at most between the 2.3amps (as rated)
or less. The duty cycle dictates amp draw would be much less when it’s set to 28-34°, when I’m camping. My ARB63 is performing as expected!

The only issue I heard of was this
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/arb-cords-and-fridge-mods.148730/
The Thermistor could go out on anything I guess...
ARB HAD HIS BACK!

I started supplementing the power with a 100w solar panel. When I get back to camp in the afternoon I cranks it down to 26° with the solar when my 100ah battery is 100% and use the solar energy. 34° at night.

When I’m in the San Juan’s in late Sept, it may be a different story...

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Arb63

I felt compelled to reply here this is a great thread much too old, so bump.
I bought an ARB63 off Craig’s list July/2017 with the slider and the thermal wrap.

It’s has been running in the garage ever since as a beer cooler.
No Problems.
It is always precooled for trips to the desert and weekend
Camping trips.

I figure it’s drawing at most between the 2.3amps (as rated)
or less. The duty cycle dictates amp draw would be much less when it’s set to 28-34°, when I’m camping. My ARB63 is performing as expected!

The only issue I heard of was this
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/arb-cords-and-fridge-mods.148730/
The Thermistor could go out on anything I guess...
ARB HAD HIS BACK!

I started supplementing the power with a 100w solar panel. When I get back to camp in the afternoon I cranks it down to 26° with the solar when my 100ah battery is 100% and use the solar energy. 34° at night.

When I’m in the San Juan’s in late Sept, it may be a different story...
Yeah A 100watt panel should more than do the deed, you can always add another panel if you want to use more power for other things, A 100 Amp battery should last for about 3 or 4 days without starting the truck, I have a 115amp/1000cca in mine and 2 more on order not that I need that much power but it is nice to have it there just in case.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence! Have a fall trip to Co where I’m hoping to get some sunlight in the days to recharge the fridge. I know the Dometic and Engle fridges consume less power but can’t change at this point.

pluton

Adventurer
I thought the Engel Fridges were made by Fujikawa in Japan? Mine was. Anyway, my Engel 45 has been flawless since 2004. It has outlasted some of my trucks. I would buy another tomorrow. Great piece of gear.
I bought my MT45 because it was a time-proven product, and the idea of mechanical/electric simplicity---one moving part in the compressor--- appealed to me.
'Engel' is the name that Sawafuji Electric, LTD gave to their portable 12 volt fridge/freezers back in the late 1950's when the first ones were produced.
A Japanese name got you nowhere, marketing-wise, in 1959.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz