Entrenching Tool

MattF350

Observer
Ive been considering one to go with my recovery gear (aimed at winter) but not sure which are good/not good.

What do you guys carry?

There's ones like the Cold Steel with hardwood non folding and plenty of different folders. Im not opposed to either, but would like one to work when needed.

Thanks in advance.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I carry a regular spade and pick axe. If I "need" a shovel or spade I don't want to have to deal with a tool that is a compromise between effectiveness and size (I do pay attention to how much my tools weigh).

Superduty

Adventurer
Shovel is gonna be the way to go if you want to dig or move dirt, snow, etc.

Unfortunately, in the overland world, particularly the internet overland world, saying you carry a shovel is not nearly as fun or exciting as an entrenching tool. So, many folks opt for the entrenching tool..... Kinda like carrying around a hi lift jack vs a safer more effective bottle type jack..... But that's another conversation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
I have a Glock Entrenching tool.
I carried it for many year on my motorcycle, and now have it in my RV.
It is well thought out and packs down small. Been used many times to get me out of trouble.
71VDEwtYLFL._SY741_.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Small entrenching tools work great for backpacking/Moto trips for digging cat holes, firepits and tent trenches, but they can be useless when having to dig out a truck or cut an embankment. I've been carrying a full size shovel and combo axe/mattox for years and they seem to work well for 90% of what I do. Now, for off road recovery a full size shovel and if you snow wheel, a real snow shovel will be helpful. Good luck.
IMG_20190901_132639324_HDR~2.jpg

Small entrenching tools work great for backpacking/Moto trips for digging cat holes, firepits and tent trenches, but they can be useless when having to dig out a truck or cut an embankment. I've been carrying a full size shovel and combo axe/mattox for years and they seem to work well for 90% of what I do. Now, for off road recovery a full size shovel and if you snow wheel, a real snow shovel will be helpful. Good luck.
View attachment 536093
I like that mount! Whose mount is that?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I like that mount! Whose mount is that?

Thanks. I wish I could remember who made those. I bought two off a Ih8mud Member that started making them maybe 13 years ago. The receiver part I built. Behind the shovel mount is a receiver that is welded to the spare tire carrier that extends out of the center of the wheel. The shovel mount has a portion of the receiver that fits into the welded portion. All held together with a receiver lock. I also made the license plate holder that is held in place by the shovel mount wing nut. So, if you need the spare you just remove the receiver lock and the whole shovel mount assembly removes.

Thank you
I think I can duplicate that know now that I know it used a receiver to mount it.
I would have to do something different because my spare tire mount is also a spare spindle, hub and lockout.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks. I wish I could remember who made those. I bought two off a Ih8mud Member that started making them maybe 13 years ago. The receiver part I built. Behind the shovel mount is a receiver that is welded to the spare tire carrier that extends out of the center of the wheel. The shovel mount has a portion of the receiver that fits into the welded portion. All held together with a receiver lock. I also made the license plate holder that is held in place by the shovel mount wing nut. So, if you need the spare you just remove the receiver lock and the whole shovel mount assembly removes.
Here you go.

robert

Expedition Leader
That ax/shovel clamp is a Con-Ferr design. They closed their doors some years ago unfortunately.

A WWII wood handled entrenching tool lives in the back of my truck and on longer trips I add a D handled shovel in an old Con-Ferr clamp. Several of the farmers I know carry a hoe in the back of their trucks; it's much easier to pull mud from around your tires and up under a vehicle with a hoe than a shovel but the shovel has more uses for camping.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The first time you really have to use a milsurp type e-tool will be your last. Having to stoop over so far to dig a vehicle out is a real bummer.
I carry one as a spare / loaner / stuck guy gets to use it. I carry a standard stirrup-handled shovel and a fiberglass straighthandled shovel when I'm heading for mud / snow / sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior