EOG 550 Loki v Earthroamer

AZexplor

First post: long time off roader, rv’r, etc.

Thinking about making a change from current 45ft DP towing a Bronco to either a lightly used LTI or the upcoming Loki x on the EOG 550. Yes very different experience, thus the reason

Not sure I want to be the test dummy on Loki, but really like the liquid springs 550 and tire set up. Seems way better for hwy use getting to the dirt.

Any general thoughts comparing the two rigs would be much appreciated. Pretty committed to an F550 rig, anything else I should be considering?

Thank you.

Darwin

Explorer
Earthroamers are overrated, unless you got the coin. Either one will probably get the job done.

zb39

Adventurer
I currently have a 45ft DP flat towing a JL Rubicon. I also have a Ram 5500 with full kelderman air suspension on it with a Host 10.5 cascade TC. I use both for different trips. I agree ER's are over rated. I think your going to miss the space your DP provides. I would think long and hard about this. Maybe buy a second smaller rig to make sure that is what you want.

Adventr.us

We're still 2-3 years away from pulling the trigger - waiting for our youngest to go off to college - but I've also been researching the F550-based rigs, like ER and LOKI. So I'd also love to hear any experience anyone else has with LOKI, as well. In our case, we're coming from a little hybrid Opus OP-15 trailer, so space/amenities in ER or LOKI would be a luxury upgrade for us :)

Two other options out there that you can add to your research: https://www.geo-cab.com/badger-xt-f550.html and/or a BoxManufaktur custom build on an EOG550. (I've seen a few well-executed versions of the latter at an Overland Expo event, but have no insight into the former except what's on the website.)

Two others that are no longer on my list - but may well make yours: 27North (also early stage, though a prototype is out) and Adrenalin Industries (who had a custom F550 build at Overland Expo last fall.)

Finally, two other possibilities on an EOG 550 - but considerably more compact: Nimbl or Rossmonster. Both seem well designed, and make efficient use of space - but those are a very different animal from an ER, and an even bigger adjustment from your 45' DP.

AZexplor

I totally agree that the two rigs are vastly different. Will I miss my King size bed, w/d and dishwasher and and x15 Cummins, 3 slides, hell yes!

We too are two years away. I will be at overland west in Flagstaff. Funny enough I grew up in Flagstaff.

looking forward to the process and learning enough to make the right balanced decision. There certainly is no perfect rig.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The Lokis are amazing looking rigs that seem to top notch.

However, due your due diligence on the liquid spring stuff. A field repair would be damn near impossible without specialty tools and hydraulic knowledge. Huge red flag for me!

Anyone have any idea what tires those are on the Lokis?

I LOVE the flares on the 5500 variant!

SootyCamper

grid truck body/subframe is built by ITB, the rest by a van company. ITB's subframe work is subpar. Also for such a large truck, the water capacity is tiny.

Last edited:

FJ SD

Builder
I echo your comments on being a test dummy with a new brand. ER's are pricey but they've been doing this for decades... These other companies, well not so much. There is a blue F350 with small Loki camper and I found the finish work in the images to be severely low quality. Maybe it was a prototype that was rushed out for a show and at 2-3x the price, the f550 variant would surely require better finishing, but I really think you should consider who will be around in 10 years when you need an inevitable repair.

I know a few GXV owners who have HORROR stories. 2 years in the shop to be fixed, leaking panels everywhere, practically unworkable management there too. They seemed like the go-to for the big boxes but I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pool.

I can attest to Boxmanufaktur's quality.. Its the real deal. Their electricians and plumbers build a truck makes most work done in the USA look like it was installed by a kindergartener. A friend almost went that route with an EOG truck but settled on an AEV Ram 5500 with Bliss Mobil. I would likely do the same too as the Bliss stuff is stop notch... I just would want to put it on a Ford ;)

86scotty

Cynic
Blows my mind that they will sell one of these million dollar 'overland' rigs with 1 sqf. of kitchen counter space. I've spent time in several diesel pushers and they have real kitchens. No one is going to be doing the Rubicon trail in either one of these rigs so my vote would be for the comforts of home if you're going to travel in something this size.

Edit: Time and money are rarely a concern for anyone at this level of this hobby so why not just tow a very capable Jeep/SUV behind something comfortable? I know, boring isn't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles