EPIC Equipt Warehouse Sale! (Thread 1)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

Thanks. I've seen it, trying to answer my question. I know the cans can be locked in, but I'm trying to understand which types of cans (if any) are secure against siphoning, as mentioned in the ad-copy on their site. It seems like the pivoting bar on the front-end will interfere with the "tab" on the lid of the NATO-style cans, preventing the lid from opening, but obviously the red cans in their photos (and that video) with the screw-type lids are not protected. (Nor would Scepter-style cans, I'll wager).

As my fuel cans are currently NATO style, this isn't a deal breaker, but I want to understand the limits.

ckkone

Explorer
Thanks. I've seen it, trying to answer my question. I know the cans can be locked in, but I'm trying to understand which types of cans (if any) are secure against siphoning, as mentioned in the ad-copy on their site. It seems like the pivoting bar on the front-end will interfere with the "tab" on the lid of the NATO-style cans, preventing the lid from opening, but obviously the red cans in their photos (and that video) with the screw-type lids are not protected. (Nor would Scepter-style cans, I'll wager).

As my fuel cans are currently NATO style, this isn't a deal breaker, but I want to understand the limits.

Not sure what he did here, looks like the Harbor Freight cans with a different cap and a couple holes drilled in the bracket? I think with the proper Wavian NATO cans the release tab is blocked by the bracket. When you find out post up here cus I need to get a couple cans.

https://expeditionportal.com/la-aduana-equipts-2013-toyota-4runner/

MG_0265.jpg

MG_0235-1600x1066.jpg

k9_jerry_can_holder_image_2.jpg

ea_jh_3.jpg

tjalward

Observer
I bought one of the used dual can mounts/holders, strictly on a hunch that it would work with MFC and MWC, even though the internet pictures are sparse, and I was told the new style dual holders won't work.

I can successfully say that it can fit 2 scepter MFC cans. I cannot remember if the strap goes over the lid or not though, thus securing the fuel from being siphoned. It is stored away on my shelf now so I can't easily put it all back together to see. What I remember though, is that it was totally good enough. The cans themselves were secure, tight. I think the strap touched the side of the lid, therefore binding it up some. And furthermore, for those to seal you have to use a JAGMTE wrench to give it a little extra bit of a turn (I also have the JAGMTE one peice aluminum cap flanges - awesome product and NO leaks ever, period). That makes it impossible to open by hand... and secure enough for me.

Also, two MWC cans will also fit, secured tightly too. The MFC and MWC are not the same though, and the strap cannot fit over the pour spout. So there is no way to secure the water contents from the small pour spout being opened/siphoned. Not an issue for me. I do have a picture of this one on my phone and will reply from it with the picture.

What the K-9 unit cannot do is fit one MFC and one MWC at the same time due to the different shape and size of the lids and handles and angles. It will not securely hole one can, so got to take the other empty.

I am just glad to finally have a dual can mount that I can use for either fuel or water, that folds flat when not in use. I think I will have to drill some holes in the base to use it on my frontrunner, instead of using the hook/clasp mounts that it comes with. In my desired orientation, with my cans in place, there is no place to attach those hooks to the can holder base that don't interfere with the can and also align to the 8" on center slat openings.

Hope this helps you all. FWIW, I have no idea why this picture loads sideways, the raw image on my computer is correct... oh well

IMG_7580 (2).jpg

Last edited:

EquiptExpOutfitters

Supporting Sponsor
I totally would have helped unload but I was on my way to work, if you need volunteers for the next one let me know in advance.

Chris

Haha, Chris--you're rad! And a gentleman. Thanks for the offer, but we'd never take you up on that because you're supposed to be having fun; we'll make sure the gear is in stock!

koifish

I bought one of the used dual can mounts/holders, strictly on a hunch that it would work with MFC and MWC, even though the internet pictures are sparse, and I was told the new style dual holders won't work.

I can successfully say that it can fit 2 scepter MFC cans. I cannot remember if the strap goes over the lid or not though, thus securing the fuel from being siphoned. It is stored away on my shelf now so I can't easily put it all back together to see. What I remember though, is that it was totally good enough. The cans themselves were secure, tight. I think the strap touched the side of the lid, therefore binding it up some. And furthermore, for those to seal you have to use a JAGMTE wrench to give it a little extra bit of a turn (I also have the JAGMTE one peice aluminum cap flanges - awesome product and NO leaks ever, period). That makes it impossible to open by hand... and secure enough for me.

Also, two MWC cans will also fit, secured tightly too. The MFC and MWC are not the same though, and the strap cannot fit over the pour spout. So there is no way to secure the water contents from the small pour spout being opened/siphoned. Not an issue for me. I do have a picture of this one on my phone and will reply from it with the picture.

What the K-9 unit cannot do is fit one MFC and one MWC at the same time due to the different shape and size of the lids and handles and angles. It will not securely hole one can, so got to take the other empty.

I am just glad to finally have a dual can mount that I can use for either fuel or water, that folds flat when not in use. I think I will have to drill some holes in the base to use it on my frontrunner, instead of using the hook/clasp mounts that it comes with. In my desired orientation, with my cans in place, there is no place to attach those hooks to the can holder base that don't interfere with the can and also align to the 8" on center slat openings.

Hope this helps you all. FWIW, I have no idea why this picture loads sideways, the raw image on my computer is correct... oh well

View attachment 436247

Would you mind sharing how you get it mounted to the frontrunner? I am in a similar dilemma (frontrunner rack and want to mount those exact cans).

EquiptExpOutfitters

Supporting Sponsor
Hi Paul, I'll give a call when I'm able, but can you confirm that the Jerry Can holder actually secures (locking) the cap on a NATO style jerry cans? It seems like it does in some of the photos, but I can't find a close-up (or user manual) to confirm.

Secondly, can you confirm that the Dual holder probably won't be secure with only a single can inside? I often only travel w/ a single can, so I'm trying to figure out the options here (bring an empty?).

Thanks!

Hey there--we're getting Paul out of the shop (he's working on a camper) to help answer this. Standby.

tjalward

Observer
Would you mind sharing how you get it mounted to the frontrunner? I am in a similar dilemma (frontrunner rack and want to mount those exact cans).

Well, I haven't done it yet... so there's that.

But if you have the unit in front of you you will notice it has tabs on the bottom long side edges that hold the cans towards the middle, this leaves a gap around the edge for a bolt/nut to go. I so I will drill holes inside the bottom lip of the can and directly mount it to the front runner using the 8mm (13mm wrench size) bolts that fit into the FR slats. My slats are 8" spacing, so I can drill at 16" and use two slats, or go ahead and utilize all three slats to prevent any kind of rattling on the center one. This means that you have to mount it longitudinally on the rack (facing forward or back) not horizontally to unload off the side. I will put mine on backwards so that any bug guts would be on the bottom of the can not the spout and handle.

I would have never known this could be done until I had one in my hands with the cans loaded and it sitting on the top of the rack. $30 was too good of a deal to pass up, and it paid off.

Hope that helps!

koifish

Well, I haven't done it yet... so there's that.

But if you have the unit in front of you you will notice it has tabs on the bottom long side edges that hold the cans towards the middle, this leaves a gap around the edge for a bolt/nut to go. I so I will drill holes inside the bottom lip of the can and directly mount it to the front runner using the 8mm (13mm wrench size) bolts that fit into the FR slats. My slats are 8" spacing, so I can drill at 16" and use two slats, or go ahead and utilize all three slats to prevent any kind of rattling on the center one. This means that you have to mount it longitudinally on the rack (facing forward or back) not horizontally to unload off the side. I will put mine on backwards so that any bug guts would be on the bottom of the can not the spout and handle.

I would have never known this could be done until I had one in my hands with the cans loaded and it sitting on the top of the rack. $30 was too good of a deal to pass up, and it paid off.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hi Paul, I'll give a call when I'm able, but can you confirm that the Jerry Can holder actually secures (locking) the cap on a NATO style jerry cans? It seems like it does in some of the photos, but I can't find a close-up (or user manual) to confirm.

Secondly, can you confirm that the Dual holder probably won't be secure with only a single can inside? I often only travel w/ a single can, so I'm trying to figure out the options here (bring an empty?).

Thanks!

Hey Everyone. Great question Herbie. The Jerry Can holders do have that strap to go in front of the typical Jerry Can cam lever latches, and the holes that they put in that strap in our latest generation holders are for those interesting little red caps you see in the images you saw a couple posts earlier. That's great, if you have those little red caps. I have them on a couple cans only. Without them the strap drops down too far and with the the CARB compliant cans the only way to keep that strap in a secure place is with the red caps and holes.

Please remember, these can holders on this sale are the first gen holders. They do not have the holes in the strap. Only the typical NATO cans with the cam lever will be secured. Also, the big difference here is that these early holders did not have the interior diagonal supports that the new holders have, to wedge the cans together tightly. NATO cans do shift back and forth a bit in these. The solution is a 1/2" thick 1" wide piece of hard rubber glued in place inside the tray on both side where the taper of the can edge sits. Easy stuff.

Thanks for sharing the Scepter can fitment. That is cool to see.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94