Equipment Questions

I am currently studying for my Technician License and will be taking the test in the next few weeks . I have had a number of CB radios over the years and I have decided to make the next step and get into Ham. I currently drive a 2007 JKU and was wondering what everyone's recommendation was for antenna mounts and antennas and if you have any pictures of how you have the radio is mounted that would be awesome .Any help and we be greatly appreciated .

jwhutch

Observer
Kind of an old school setup but it’s an old school Jeep. Larsen NMO 2/70 dual band on a mashup fender mount and Kenwood 2 meter radio, (TN241). The antenna mounting location is popular for Jeeps, and this antenna is popular for people mounting in this location due to ground plane considerations. The fender mount is a straight fender mount sandwiched to a Larsen right angle nmo mount screwed into the side of the fender. Very strong off-road. Since my radio is 2 meters only, it does not have a detachable head unit. If you were to go with a dual band radio with detachable face plate, you open up mounting options considerably. Good luck.

Attachments

• 68926153-BB74-4FC2-B717-B1D816D08153.jpeg
    68926153-BB74-4FC2-B717-B1D816D08153.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • C6114483-3858-4154-A160-52EF489E3E8D.jpeg
    C6114483-3858-4154-A160-52EF489E3E8D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

dreadlocks

TM-281's are fantastic radios, very sensitive and rugged.. like milspec rugged, and cheap.. I got two of em used.. didnt pay much more than like $65 each.. using em for aprs packet radio on my trailer and at home.

In back country 2m is king over 70, dont really need a dual band all that much.. I find I'm working 2m on both radios more than 70cm for HAM stuff here in the mountains.. Density is just not high enough that 2m is saturated, and UHF gets absorbed by vegetation easier.. in metro tho, there's a ton of traffic on 70cm but only due to the high population density.

Last edited:

jwhutch

Observer
TM-281's are fantastic radios, very sensitive and rugged.. like milspec rugged, and cheap.. I got two of em used.. didnt pay much more than like $65 each.. using em for aprs packet radio on my trailer and at home.

In back country 2m is king over 70, dont really need a dual band all that much.. I find I'm working 2m on both radios more than 70cm for HAM stuff here in the mountains.. Density is just not high enough that 2m is saturated, and UHF gets absorbed by vegetation easier.. in metro tho, there's a ton of traffic on 70cm but only due to the high population density.
Unfortunately I’m a dinosaur for most newer modes. I have a tj and a Ram truck and the TM-281 front mounted speaker was the main selling point, along with being mil spec. Bought both of mine new. I would love to pick up two more for my work van and my Camper. Back in the day I loved working 440 in town with smaller antennas, but nowadays there’s hardly any 2M FM traffic on the repeaters much less 440. I’m currently jonesing for one of the Midland radios where the controls are all in the hand mic. That’s something Motorola used to do on commercial rigs, but if the speaker is in there too I have trouble hearing in the Jeep. Sure would solve mounting issues.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The largest linked repeater system in Oklahoma is on 440 and covers almost 1/2 the state. It one of the main factors for me getting a dual band radio. Besides being able to monitor more than one frequency. I know plenty who get by just fine with a 2m mono band radio. So pick your own poison.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The largest linked repeater system in Oklahoma is on 440 and covers almost 1/2 the state. It one of the main factors for me getting a dual band radio. Besides being able to monitor more than one frequency. I know plenty who get by just fine with a 2m mono band radio. So pick your own poison.
Regional differences certainly affect this since our state-wide linked repeater system (the Colorado Connection) sits on 2m so VHF is paramount for Colorado.

OTOH the western half of Colorado and southern Utah are linked with a UHF system (Grand Mesa Repeater Association) which my county SAR uses, so 70cm is at least equally important. Also just about all the DMR repeaters sit on 70cm and I think some of the state ARES work is using that now.

As far as simplex for trail runs VHF would still be fine but dual band is kind of not a luxury.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions . I have picked up a Yaesu FT-7800r and a separation kit . My next question will be for the antenna and mount . I have a CB antenna on the rear tire carrier now , I know this is not the ideal spot .My Jeep is a soft top but I am running a Barricade Roof rack , also my tailgate and tire mount have been changed to a Smitybilt XRC , The roof rack is mounted to the A pillar and the rear tub . I am looking at the mount that bolts to the top of the fender but was wondering about the roof rack causing interference.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
If you are ok with the overall height a 1/2 wave (on 2m) antenna could be mounted to the rack as it is not ground dependent.
A fender mount on the driver side would work also, though it may not reach quite as far.

Last edited:

jwhutch

Observer
See the photos above. It is a dual band antenna which I believe is a 1/2 wave on 2 meters and it works well on the fender mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles