Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hyder AK

Hyder AK
Mile 2950

After a fantastic evening in Prince George I headed west toward the Cassiar Highway. I got to Smithers in the early afternoon and kept going. Beautiful countryside the whole way. The vehicle traffic starts to thin out some too. I am really glad it was suggested I head up this way. It’s the road less travelled and much more my style. The mountains started getting bigger the further north I went. I headed west on 37A. It’s a 70Km offshoot to Stewert BC, and the little town of Hyder AK. The canyon drive was filled with snow caps, water falls and a river. It was hard not to stop every 200 meters to get the next great photo.

Hyder 1.JPGHyder 2.JPGHyder 3.jpg

I made it to Hyder, caught up with a few locals over a soda, and spent the night on the small paved island on the Pacific Ocean. The next morning I headed north again, up the canyon for a peak at Salmon Glacier. The locals informed me it is the 5th largest glacier in Alaska. Impressive sight for sure.

Hyder 4.JPGHyder 5.JPGHyder 6.JPG

Cheers,

Equipt

Cassiar Highway

Cassiar Highway
Mile 3560

I came back out 37A and headed north again, up the Cassiar Highway. I am impressed with the amount of cyclists on the road. I have seen a couple dozen out there on their own or in pairs, loaded to the gils with gear, spinning along. I thought I was adventurous. It’s also getting to the point that gas is becoming a strategy. Get it when you can. The distances between fuel stops are increasing. It was a long day behind the wheel. Practice, I guess, for my Deadhorse run. I made it into Watson Lake, and took a look at the Sign Post Forrest. An interesting roadside attraction by the visitors center.

Cassiar 1.JPGWatson Lake.JPGTeslin.JPG

Make a note. Verizon doesn’t work in Canada. Period. I tried my hand at a pre-paid phone. $70 for a phone and $50 in minutes/data afforded me 2 decent phone calls home, 6 texts, and 1 download of emails. Adding more minutes from the middle of nowhere requires a Canadian Credit Card. And the area I am traveling to doesn't have signal anyway. So much for that idea. Thirteen hours after leaving Hyder, I found a camp spot near Teslin.

Equipt

South Canol to Dawson

South Canol Road to Dawson
Mile 4060

My original plan was to make it into Whitehorse. I didn’t make it. My provisions were in good shape, and it was a several hour back track to do that and get back to the start of the South Canol Road. I decided not to add to the rather long day ahead. The South Canol Road is a southern leg of a gravel road originally built for an oil pipeline. In close to 300 Km I saw 1 other vehicle. Absolutely stunning country. What I would call a river is referred to as a stream up here. Huge alpine lakes, and endless vistas. This was the solo travel I was expecting.

Canol 1.JPGCanol 2.JPGCanol 3.JPG

I finished the South Canol Road and headed west toward Dawson City, pulling in around 8 pm. Looks and feels like 2 pm. I still haven’t gotten my head around the sun being up pretty much all the time. I splurged on a campsite downtown, and wandered the elevated wood sidewalks of town.

The Downtown Hotel was my first official stop. They have unique club initiation there, and I had to join. The Sour Toe Club. The dues are a shot of your choice, and $5. They place a honest to God pickled toe in your shot, write you in their log, give you a toast and you drink your shot until the toe touches your lips. I am a card carrying member now. The fine for swallowing the toe is now $2500. I guess $250 wasn’t enough to detour one guy last year. A couple more stops around town, and it was time to turn in. Daylight and all.

Dawson 1.JPGDawson 2.JPGSour Toe.JPG

Cheers,

Equipt

Hey Paul,

Glad to see you took the South Canol, so many miss it.

Let me know if you plan to come through Whitehorse on your way back down,

-Dan

Hey Dan.

I planned on calling when I got to Watson Lake, but my mobile ran out and that sank the whole idea. I think the closest we're coming to Whitehorse is the Haines junction west of you a ways. We're driving from the Denali across the Denali highway then south to Haines. If we do, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the offers. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Dan.

I planned on calling when I got to Watson Lake, but my mobile ran out and that sank the whole idea. I think the closest we're coming to Whitehorse is the Haines junction west of you a ways. We're driving from the Denali across the Denali highway then south to Haines. If we do, I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the offers. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Do you have a rough idea when you'll be in Haines?

The South East Alaska State Fair is July 31 - Aug 3 in Haines and it's a blast.

-Dan

mapper

Explorer
Yellowstone National Park
Mile 1200

I have a love/hate relationship with Yellowstone. As a kid, it was the first National Park I visited. The remoteness of our family adventure destination and all the magical things that mother nature put on display set it's hooks in me deep. Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Little Grand Canyon, Mammoth Hot Springs. All gems on their own, and to have them within such close proximity. Yellowstone was the foundation of my remote wanderlust life. It's been quite a few years since I have been through the park. It's in great shape, and some money has been spent to keep it the old dame she is. But I knew I was in for a different experience when the south entrance was backed up 20 minutes. I slowly conformed into my place in the car lines, crossed the Continental Divide as it started to snow, and made it to Old Faithful. A beautiful new visitor center (new to me) sits between the old lodges now. The parking lot more resembled Magic Mountain than Yellowstone. I guess it needs to, to handle the thousands and thousands of visitors a day. I shared the timely geyser with over a thousand close friends. Amazing. I made my way north, heading for Mammoth and the north entrance. It's the one entrance I have not used. There wasn't a parking spot at Mammoth Hot Springs within a half mile of the springs. The closest option was on the other side of the Hotel. I left.

I love the granduer of Yellowstone, the wonders it possesses, and the place it holds in our collective American heart. And I am glad that interest in our parks is at an all time high. But I don't think I will be returning any time soon. Just too many folks jostling for position for me, and too many other less crowded places to see. I went through the big north gate, and said goodbye to an old friend. I made by way north and west toward Seally Lake. This is my first re-direction in the trip. A little bird informed me that Logan's Pass in Glacier NP still had snow on it. The road through the park is still closed. So I am heading around to the west entrance to the park, and will continue my path from there. Salmon Lake State Park had one more guest for the evening.

View attachment 231575View attachment 231576View attachment 231577

Did I mention snow?

Cool trip. Definite whirlwind but that adds an aspect in and of itself.

I used to feel similarly until I did some "deeper" hikes. Sometime hit Yellowstone, Yosemite or other National Parks via backpack and go deeper on the trails. Can go most of day without seeing anyone (maybe I should keep more quiet :cool:)...and the backcountry in those parks truly is spectacular, remote and wild. I travel frequently with a dog and the only time I regret having a dog is when I look at hikes in National Park backcountry.

pyrate

Rollin' along

I used to feel similarly until I did some "deeper" hikes. Sometime hit Yellowstone, Yosemite or other National Parks via backpack and go deeper on the trails. Can go most of day without seeing anyone (maybe I should keep more quiet :cool:)...and the backcountry in those parks truly is spectacular, remote and wild. I travel frequently with a dog and the only time I regret having a dog is when I look at hikes in National Park backcountry.

Agreed. Yosemite was getting to me with the crowds. Over the past 10 years I've explored 300-400 miles of trails and seen fewer people on those miles than in 10 minutes in the populated areas of the parks. Granted, it can't be done by all but for those of us that can do it, it's an amazing experience.

Equipt

Do you have a rough idea when you'll be in Haines?

The South East Alaska State Fair is July 31 - Aug 3 in Haines and it's a blast.

-Dan

Hey Dan,

We have a date with a ferry in Haines on July 3rd, heading to Juneau for the fireworks. So I guess I'll miss the State Fair too. Missing a lot of stuff, I guess. But I hear the celebration for the 4th in Juneau is pretty cool.

Cheers,

Equipt

Agreed as well. I definitely need to dust off the backpack and go back through. Spending too much time in the truck. Our black lab Dezi has been a co-pirate of our for the last 14 years, and it does mess with National Park exploration.

Cheers,

Equipt

Tombstone Territorial Park

Tombstone Territorial Park
Mile 4130

After spending a good chunk of the day in Dawson, catching up with the world, I backtracked a little and headed north up the Dempster Highway. Several folks said I should at least check out Tombstone. I am glad I did. I wanted to have a taste of what the Dempster Highway was like too. It is a hard pack graded road that stretches north through Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk in the Northwest Territory. About a hundred Km north of the junction lays the Tomstone Territorial Park. A little chunk of the vast wilderness is set aside for all time. The jagged peaks and glacier swept valleys were an incredible site. There is a quite new Interpretive Center and a camp ground in the valley, but the views from the hill behind the center were the best for me. And the Dempster keeps going north.

Tombstone 1.JPGTombstone 2.JPGTombstone 3.JPG

I headed back to Dawson, and went up the Dome Road for an overview of Dawson and the Yukon River. It was quite the party spot back in the day, and the views of the Yukon River valley were very nice. Back through town, I took the ferry across the river to the Provincial Camp on the west bank. A beautiful camping ground right on the river. A relatively early night this time.

Dawson 1.JPGDawson 2.JPGDawson 3.jpg

The Yukon Territory's mantra is "Larger than Life". I think they hit it right on the head. I am thoroughly impressed with long range vistas I have seen up here. A new infinite view at every turn. The people I have met along the way have also been great. Happy to help in any way they can. I look forward to coming back and spending a little more time in this beautiful Territory.

Cheers,

Equipt

Top of the World Highway

Top of the World Highway
Mile 4320

The west side of the Yukon River, across from Dawson City is the eastern starting point of The Top of the World Highway. It winds it's way across the ridgelines, sometimes above tree line, westward to the Alaska border and on to the town of Tok AK. Top of the World is an appropriate name, that is for sure. Not only for how far north we are, but traversing the highest ridgelines for miles gives you a sense of how big this territory is. It just seems endless. The highway is a smattering of pavement separated by very well groomed graded roads. I could easily keep a pace of 60mph on them, but slowed down to look around. I slowed down a lot. There must have been a huge forest fire in this area some time ago. I drove through an area of burned trees that went as far as I could see in each direction. The needles were burned off, but the trunks remained. And it was obvious the trees were dead, and still standing. It looked like some eary combination of Dr Suess and Tim Burton. I made pretty good time and made it into Chicken AK for a late breakfast. A "punchline of a town" as the Milepost book puts it, there are 3 official business that make up the town. The first residents, when deciding on a name, wanted to call it Ptarmigan after the abundant chicken like bird in the area. But no one knew how to spell that, so Chicken it was. Got a saloon t-shirt, BTW.

Top of the World 1.JPGTop of the World 2.JPGChicken AK.JPG

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I left a card on the saloon door a few years ago. Chicken was closed for the season when I stopped.

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles