EXD 350 - EarthCruiser on flat bed

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
More on the 12 VOLT Air Con unit.
It was a topic on conversation earlier on in this thread that we promised to follow up on.

EXD_EarthCruiser_ getting close28.JPG
Condenser lives under the truck. Bash plate is not for show.
EXD_EarthCruiser_ getting close26.JPG
Couple of bolts ( dome heads that are less likely to get hung up on rocks and stumps) to drop cover down for inspection and service.
EXD_EarthCruiser_ getting close27.JPG

This is how we do Air con systems, it is a fair amount of work to work to get these systems the way want them.
Off the shelf systems just have not impressed us for off road use.
IMG_8224.JPG
Pump inside a compartment. By separating the units the system is much more efficient for noise and power consumption in our application.
Vulnerable parts are in safe place, serviceable components ( for recharging) are easy to get at. Artic have a well earned reputation in heavy earthmoving equipment that lives in a similar environment.
They supply the bits we want and we build from there.
EXD_EarthCruiser_ getting close30.JPG
There is no generators with any product we produce. We match consumption with power storage / generation.
EXD are only available in Lithium systems, the storage capacity of that battery is more than enough to run the Air con unit and the rest of the systems.
The webasto water/air heater is way over specification for this space, we like that.
The occupants of these trucks are comfortable in all seasons, as they should be.
EXD_EarthCruiser_ getting close25.JPG
It takes a few moments to access any major component in a EXD, typically without tools.

Best Lance

DzlToy

Explorer
lanceatm said:
It even has a kitchen sink! Hot cold tap - purified (not just filtered) water drinking tap.

Can you explain a bit about how this system works when you have a moment? If I recall correctly, drinking water may be obtained from non-potable fresh water sources.

Thanks

lanceatm

One more thing about the Air Con.
IMG_8231.JPG
This is the nook beside the bed i was talking about. The cool air is ducted up and helps get circulated when it comes into the contact with the stainless trim below the main windows ( that you cant see in this picture because i am hopeless).
AC 110 volt out lets and USB charge ports are there too, and a cup holder, you can never have to many cup holders apparently.

And that it for the Air con set up in a EarthCruiser EXD.

lanceatm

Can you explain a bit about how this system works when you have a moment? If I recall correctly, drinking water may be obtained from non-potable fresh water sources.

Thanks
No worries, what would you like to know?

DzlToy

Explorer
A brief system overview, suitable water sources, flow rates, filtration processes and media, tolerances, etc.

lanceatm

A brief system overview, suitable water sources, flow rates, filtration processes and media, tolerances, etc.

Thank you for the question.

We don`t filter what goes into the tank, there is no way to be 100% sure there was not something growing in there before or after the filtering in the first place.
The system needs to be serviceable by the operator and simple to use in the field. Above all proven, don`t mess around with your health when traveling it can be the death of you, or at least have a very bad few days.
So what we do is this.
Completely separate water lines. One dedicated for drinking ( depending on model an EarthCruiser may have more than one drinking tap) the other for hot/cold water. There is also a gravity feed line, if for some reason there is no battery power to run a pump. Three independent systems in total, we take water seriously.
The drinking water does draw through the same pump, it is cleaned on the other side of the pump and and no i am not going to show how we do that.
The water purifier only has to deal with one dedicated water line, with easy to replace filters. As far as flow "rates" that is very subjective depending on the quality of water your dealing with.

EarthCruiser can fill tanks via a normal hose or through water pumped up out streams or buckets as the case may be. We have used this feature on many occasions, getting water can be harder than getting diesel.

There is another system we use for emergency services, but that is a very different subject.

Water resupply_earthcruiser1.JPG
Water sources? I guess that depends where you are, and what is available to you.Water resupply_earthcruiser2.jpg
Pumping up from a creek in Tibet.

I hope that answers your question.
The forum is wonderful place for information, let me say when it comes to health and safety get a professional who has real experience in the service you are asking for.

Lance

lanceatm

Jeremy got suspension under the truck today.

EXD SUS _earthcruiser1.JPG
Hellwig sway bar

EXD SUS _earthcruiser3.JPG
Bilstein res shocks
EXD SUS _earthcruiser2.JPG
Sitting nice, with a few pounds in the air bags. I don`t think the air bags will stay, they do help in ride height and spring rate R and D after that I am not a big fan. The ride height is now roughly the same as factory with a small load in the bed.
We need a totally finished truck with a few miles under it before we can get our rear leaf springs configured the way we want them, it is science in its self.

Have a great week end

Lance

Last edited:

Steve_382

Lance,
What are you planning to show at Expo East. We live in Indy, so it's a much closer drive for us to see the vehicles in NC.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

lanceatm

Lance,
What are you planning to show at Expo East. We live in Indy, so it's a much closer drive for us to see the vehicles in NC.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

G`day Steve
We plan to have - EXP (Our truck that has been lots of places)
EXD the truck we have been building on the Portal
FX ( fixed roof EC )
MOD - Our new 800 pound camper for Full size and Mid size trucks.

Hope to see you there.
BTW I have more pics of the EXD , just got to get them off the camera and post up.

Ted Ellison

Lance,
About that Dodge Ram build you have planned. Is the truck a regular cab? Will there be a walkthrough to the camper? When are you starting that build? Will you be posting pictures of that build on this forum? I would love to come see that truck when it is near completion.

Also have you had a chance to weigh the current truck now that its nearly done?

lanceatm

Lance,
About that Dodge Ram build you have planned. Is the truck a regular cab? Will there be a walkthrough to the camper? When are you starting that build? Will you be posting pictures of that build on this forum? I would love to come see that truck when it is near completion.

Also have you had a chance to weigh the current truck now that its nearly done?

I have no details on the Dodge, it is a customers truck. As soon as i am able will update.
No total weight yet, I can say that we are with in our expectation for the camper. Accessories ( winches bull bars etc) add up, look forward to getting a complete out the door number as soon as possible.

lanceatm

More truck stuff

EXD  _earthcruiser11.JPG
Can you believe there is a turbo V8 in there?EXD  _earthcruiser1.JPG
Took the bull bar off agin to fit some wheel flares, it needed them.IMG_8303.JPG

EXD  _earthcruiser9.JPG
Tow points are get at able through the bull bar. Bull bars are for hitting things not towing things.

EXD  _earthcruiser8.JPG
Spare wheel fitted up great. Because the EXD uses diesel heater (no propane on EXD) and not all trucks will be diesel there is a dedicated diesel tank behind the spare wheel to run air and water heater. I would think that some trucks will get diesel fuel line plumbed into main tank.
EXD  _earthcruiser10.JPG
Look real stairs. Deploy when the door is opened by default, they can be locked in or out, This the three step version two step is also available.

Some inside pics next

Last edited:

lanceatm

Lets talk about the necessary but the un mentionable.
EXD  _earthcruiser4.JPG
To your left you see these bi fold doors and a counter top.EXD  _earthcruiser5.JPG
.......... the cassette toilet lives behind the doors.
IMG_8299.JPG
Bench top drops down when one needs to use the "facility". The doors provide privacy.
EXD  _earthcruiser3.JPG
The fold down bench stays in place when one uses the shower, or the dog rolled in something disgusting and is not allowed in until it gets washed off and its snowing out side.

EXD  _earthcruiser6.JPG
Anther small detail is that the toilet can slide back providing a place to put that wet ski or fishing gear. The counter top can stay in place or fold down.
EXD  _earthcruiser2.JPG
And you would never know it was there. The bench top is plenty strong enough for groceries or back packs as you walk in.

EXD  _earthcruiser13.JPG
Hand basin to the right has turned out nice. We are not really "in" the camper yet. Its hard to get any photos without people in it.

Last edited:

lanceatm

Well thats about it folks for our EXD-350 proto type build, it finished and ready to hit the no road.
Thanks to all for comments and questions while we put this first truck together.

IMG_8315.JPGIMG_8316.JPG
I think the design and build crew did an excellent job, production and QA take it from here.

Thank you again

Lance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne