EXD 350 - EarthCruiser on flat bed

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Lance

Do you have any pictures of the interior with the bed folded and the table deployed? Also have you weighed the truck yet? My wife will be in Bend November 2nd and 3rd. Can she come see the truck?

Ted
G`day Ted
That truck is sold, owners are here this week then heading across country. They will be at Overland East on the EarthCruiser stand. Please get in touch with either Michelle@earthcruiser.com or Joe@earthcruiser.com to book some quality time to get your questions talk through, it gets very busy around here.

lanceatm

Lance

Do you have any pictures of the interior with the bed folded and the table deployed? Also have you weighed the truck yet? My wife will be in Bend November 2nd and 3rd. Can she come see the truck?

Ted

We will some more inside pics with videos up shortly.

lanceatm

Random inside storage pics
EarthCruiser EXD inside1.JPG

EarthCruiser EXD inside15.jpgIMG_8365.jpg
EarthCruiser EXD inside2.JPG
EarthCruiser EXD inside3.JPG
EarthCruiser EXD inside4.JPG

Attachments

• EarthCruiser EXD inside11.JPG
    EarthCruiser EXD inside11.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 35
  • EarthCruiser EXD inside12.JPG
    EarthCruiser EXD inside12.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 37
  • EarthCruiser EXD inside14.jpg
    EarthCruiser EXD inside14.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28

lanceatm

Lance,
About that Dodge Ram build you have planned. Is the truck a regular cab? Will there be a walkthrough to the camper? When are you starting that build? Will you be posting pictures of that build on this forum? I would love to come see that truck when it is near completion.

Also have you had a chance to weigh the current truck now that its nearly done?

Customer sent me the weigh bridge numbers this arvo-
Fully loaded for a 12 month trip including full water and fuel tanks (and what ever is in that storage box on the roof) with driver and passenger the weight cert says total for the truck is ........ 11700 LBS.
With good weight distribution across both axles. This truck had air conditioning, bull bar winch , rear bar etc so this is a very real number, packed for a big trip.
Truck had after market wheels and tyre`s ( E rated TOYO), we are interested to know how much more the heavy duty wheel/tyre combo adds or not to the total.
We are confident of a 500LB weight saving in production for the body unit.

Steve_382

Customer sent me the weigh bridge numbers this arvo-
Fully loaded for a 12 month trip including full water and fuel tanks (and what ever is in that storage box on the roof) with driver and passenger the weight cert says total for the truck is ........ 11700 LBS.
With good weight distribution across both axles. This truck had air conditioning, bull bar winch , rear bar etc so this is a very real number, packed for a big trip.
Truck had after market wheels and tyre`s ( E rated TOYO), we are interested to know how much more the heavy duty wheel/tyre combo adds or not to the total.
We are confident of a 500LB weight saving in production for the body unit.

Thanks for the info. I doubt the wheels and tires are much heavier. I had been thinking maybe the gas engine would be OK, but at 11k lbs. the diesel probably is the better call. Looks great though. We are still planning to go to NC and have a look.

Steve_382

I just looked at the weight differences for some of the chassis cab versions. You could save 1,000 pounds with the 6.2L gas version versus the 6.7L diesel and another 300 pounds by getting the regular cab (not to mention a tighter turning radius). If Lance can drop 500 pounds and you don't need the 300 pound bull bar and winch, that might save 2,000 pounds overall. Maybe the 6.2L gas would work.

Regular cab 6.2L = 5,478 pounds
Super cab 6.2L = 5,774 pounds
Super cab 6.7L = 6,810 pounds

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/chassis-cab/models/f350-xlt/

Steve_382

We spent a fair amount of time looking at the EXD 350 and the other Earthcruisers at the Expo show. Nice looking rigs. The EXD 350 on a single cab truck seems like a decent option for the wife and I. We currently have an E350 Sportsmobile with Quigley 4x4 and really don't want to get much larger than that. I think the EXD 350 with the top down is about 8 1/2 feet tall and with the single cab truck might come in under 22 feet long. We discussed whether to use a pickup truck as the donor or to buy a chassis cab for the donor. I incorrectly thought they both had the same torque rating, but evidently the pickup motor is jazzed up a bit on the Ford diesel and has 900+ pounds of torque while the chassis cab version is limited to 750 pounds. Both would do the job easily. Looking at postings on the internet, it seems the logic behind the difference is that the pickup is not expected to be loaded fully all the time, while the commercial chassis cab is expected to carry closer to maximum load all the time. In reality, with a camper build around 11,000 pounds, perhaps the chassis cab makes sense.

Aside from all the Sprinters, the only other vehicle that appealed to us was the Adventure Truck from Global Expedition Vehicles. Much taller at over 11' tall, but still less than 22' long. The display model was on a very beefy Ram 5500 with upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension. Nice looking vehicle and good for the ego, but not sure I want to deal with that much of a vehicle. They also had an Inglhaut Sprinter with 37" tires that was pretty impressive, but he said an empty van was about $120,000.

Steve_382

Apologies for the lame artwork, but I have been trying to figure out how to rack bikes on this rig and keep them clean. I think this rack Thule Thule T2 Pro XT 2 - 2" Rack might just fit between the lights and above the bumper lights to allow me to get a custom road cover made to keep the bikes out of the weather and dust. Of course, I don't have the EXD yet, but that's another story. Wonder how the progress is going on additional rigs.

EXD with bikes.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior