Exped Megamat Duo 10 torn after zero trips

Superduty

Adventurer
So, based on all the awesome reviews here i bought an Exped Megamat Duo 10. I do the initial inflation for 24 hrs. I then proceed to deflate it and put it back in bag. As i lean on it to get air out it gets a 3" tear in the side. This is very frustrating.

There were no sharp objects near it, it was actually on my bed, not even on the floor.

Anyone else have such an issue?
3e6201bf9a4a352889f811476f275977.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

roving1

Wow. I also must have read 20 positive reviews of that around the interwebs.

I wonder if air got trapped and it blew out? But I too lean on every mat I have ever rolled up in my life and never have had that happen. Strange.

towee

I’ve had mine for 3 years and have treated pretty rough no issues whatsoever. It’s a mat I have complete confidence in sorry to hear you got a lemon. I’ve seen two other reports of failure both were air bubble on the top one in this forum and one on Amazon reviews. If I were you I’d get it replaced and not have any fears of it’s durability.

Superduty

Adventurer
Hopefully, you will also post the excellent customer service you will receive from EXPED.
I hope to be able to do that. I will definitely update this thread. I emailed customer service last night.

Based on the reviews and lack of complaints or experiences like mine i have to assume i indeed got a lemon.

It was a complete blow out of the side as i was leaning on it to get air out. It must have been some weak point in the material. I went back and rewatched youtube videos about deflating the exped and i was being gentle compared to others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
That's unfortunate - hundreds of nights on our Megamat duo, outdoors in tents, indoors on floors, in RV's, all over the place, many inflate/deflate cycles, not a single issue yet.

towee

Please keep us updated on exped’s customer service I have 3 of them so I hope they come through.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Please keep us updated on exped’s customer service I have 3 of them so I hope they come through.

I also have several with over 500 nights of personal use. My customer service experience with EXPED service has been nothing but first class.

My last experience with EXPED -

My EXPED Megamat issue is a non issue after talking with EXPED?

The story -
Over 5 years and close to 400 nights I have used a Megamat 7.5 in my Campteq.
Recently I developed a very small leak. After several hours/days of looking I find the seam is separating.
So I start looking for a replacement 7.5 EVERYWHERE with no luck.
Because of space I cannot use the slightly larger Megamat10 so Im freaking out!
Call EXPED to see if there is a fix. EXPED informs me there is no fix and we will send you a ROA to ship it back. Once back if we cannot repair we replace it with the Mga 10 because your 7.5 is no longer produced. WHAT!!
I explain why the upgrade will be a problem and they put me on hold. Great?
No problem we may of found the last 7.5 in the USA and it now has your name on it. Can I get your shipping info....?:cool:

EXPED wins big time in my book for customer support and standing behind a great product. Buy with confidence.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Update:

Exped made contact via email today. They said I could send the mat to them and they "would be happy to get your mat evaluated for repair service here at our shop." I replied, voicing my frustration that I would have to pay for shipping considering the mat was brand new and never left the house. The CSR replied that they would pay for shipping to them. She indicated the turn around time is typically 3-4 weeks, but could be longer due to Covid 19.

I appreciate they were willing to pick up the shipping costs. I hope they will replace the mat instead of repairing it. I'd rather not have a "repaired" brand new mat.

I will update this post in about a month.

geojag

It looks like the fabric was damaged or weakened, with the small tear below I wonder if this may wasn't NOS or if the fabric had been exposed to something (temp or chemical) that made it "brittle".

I have used the same mat for a couple years, not gentle with it, roll it up really tight sometimes, and never had a problem.

My buddy had one that got a bubble, they did replace it but it took a while to get his replacement. A month seems about right.
He always kept his in his truck, I imagine very high temperatures over time damaged the adhesive in his, therefore the bubble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior