Expedition Portal Joins Sema build with @weldtecdesigns

whith

Had another thought for a product that would maybe be easy to pull together that would draw some interest, well at least from me. Guards or protection for the lower shock mounts. That spot seems to want to hang up or hit on rocks and logs etc. and is just down there hanging taking general abuse.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Agreed 100%. My buddy has side windows that lift via hydraulic struts on his Tacoma shell. Only my rear window does that. I can tell you whose shell I like better. (Hint: it’s not mine!) Super handy feature.

Incidentally the same buddy has a Savana 3500 Duramax cargo van and we’ve discussed fab’ing pop-up side windows for the rear cargo area. It would be an awesome upgrade.
I think that would be great to have those like the PRO ACCESS chevrolet express vans have. I'm not sure if it would be easier to build them out of aluminum since my fiberglass skills are not so great......

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I know a guy who would buy a pair if they look good and aren't insanely expensive.

I swoon for a Pro Access. Maybe my worst fail ever was not pulling the trigger on a 6.6 Pro Access 4x4. We talked on the phone about it, Jeremy.

whith

I watched a video last night by XOverland in Australia and he has fitted almost exactly like what we are talking about to his Landcruiser Troop Carrier in place of the factory windows. Looks like something somebody is making for that vehicle. Maybe can be done also for our vans?

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Well we decided that just one vehicle build for SEMA just isn't enough so we threw in a screwball with this addition. Check out the video and i would love to hear your thoughts on this addition......

Our thought is van is a great tow vehicle that will get you deep into the backcountry as your base camp. Then it is game on for high speed to climbing capabilities of the Polaris RZR. Soon we will be ready for an all out Baja Adventure.

whith

Looks like I'm kinda wearing this thread out....but I have another idea that, at least to me would be very appealing. An adapter that would make it possible to add GM truck tow mirrors to a van. There aren't any good tow mirrors out there for these vans, other than the ones you see on big box trucks and they just stick out so far. I want some that I can pull out when towing but keep in when not towing. I think maybe just a milled plate of some sort that changes the angle would possibly work? The vans are more upright than the trucks are i think where the mirrors are attached. Could become more complicated at the electrical connection but not sure. At any rate, something I would be thrilled to have available.

pigsammy

Just found this thread, lots of interesting info here.
Like many, I especially enjoy the interior build outs. I came to this section looking for ideas.
The ideas for aftermarket opening windows are intriguing. A system that would allow application to various vehicles would be awesome.

Great job on everything so far. looking forward to more updates.

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
This build is far from over, however we did make it to the Las Vegas Sema show in November. Here is a video to what we have accomplished with a lot more to come !

I would love to hear what you like on this build and what you would like to see us do........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles