Expedition Portal: The Land Rover 109 IIA Build

modrover

Still breathing...
Oh, and I'm a sucker for the old Lucas glass... so I made sure to reroute some new wiring inside that aluminum support and mounted the original dome lamp.
image.jpeg

TeriAnn

Explorer
I decided to just remove the front section of headliner and not replace it. I know it really helps to deaden acoustics and it keeps condensation down, but I've just never been a fan of headliners in Rovers (I did save all the frameworks and screws though). The rear section headliner was actually missing already anyway.

We all have our own preferences as to what is right for ourselves. You mentioned the headliner reduces interior noise and condensation but have you thought about thermal insulation? When I cleaned up the front interior of my truck I went with insulation on every interior surface and full factory deluxe interior panels. Not only was it a LOT quieter than being inside an echo chamber but the truck maintained temperature much better. When I was putting the insulation on the underside of the front roof I added it in stages. One thing I noticed was when I put a hand up on the ceiling while driving, the insulated part was at interior temperature while the bare aluminum roof section was really cold making the interior air colder. My Kodiak heater does a much better job of keeping the interior toasty warm during those freezing winter days.

I'm a big fan of traveling in comfort with a fully paneled and insulated interior, heated windscreens, and heated Defender seats. Warmth and comfort in the winter, mmm my favorites.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Were you aware that the SII designers made the entire lower edge of the Series instrument shelf into a bottle opener? Next time you want to open a bottle just put the cap against the inside edge of the bottom flange and move the bottle towards the bulkhead. With a Series II you are never without a bottle opener. The one you bought is for Series III and newer vehicles. It works, but opening a bottle with the instrument panel really impresses the natives.

image_9.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

A bit of splurge... handmade in England brass bottle opener. You know... to let all enforcement know the rolling potential here. ;)

modrover

Still breathing...
All great tips for sure! Yes, while many times it's a preference thing... there are are those proven factual things that makes for more enjoyable and practical traveling. Rover on!

modrover

Still breathing...
image.jpeg

A friend was found using the bottle opener at the Portland All British Field Meet over the weekend... no telling how many "spirits" this provided. ;)

modrover

Still breathing...
image.jpeg

Finally got around to installing a new handle on the old Rover's heater distribution flap (you manually open the flap to allow heat to blow into the passenger footwell area). It's been missing for years... so uncivilized! Ok, so hand carved bone by a Native American isn't exactly a stock Land Rover part, but come on... how neat-O is that... and it's not like it was made by one of the disheartened Donner party! :D

modrover

Still breathing...
image.jpeg

Sir Ralph had the distinguishing honor of being selected in the Town Square during this years Portland All British Field Meet (Land Rover was the featured marque this year). He's come along way... ;)

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_7685.JPG

Thank goodness for the extreme 70hp... or this massive tractor would've never become unstuck from the Camas Moors! :wings:

Actually, that TrueTrac in the rear did help as the ground was very soft and wet.

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_8088.JPG

All those little upgrades that I've done are continuing to make this 109 a wonderful daily driver. Sure... I'm still dealing with 70hp, but learning to deal with your limitations is part of the relationship. ;)

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Wow, glad to see that Ralph is still humming.

Great upgrades! My 1976 Series III has the diesel 2.25, so consider yourself lucky in the power department! Soon, it will have a 300 tdi and many other upgrades to keep it living a long life.

Here's a pic:

IMG_0238.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94