Expedition Squared build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Cool, Just reading that other thread. I see a couple of things I would like. FX4 Skid plates and the rough country skid. My truck right now sits with about the same ground clearance as my JKU under axle with the 265s. Once I put my big tires on my JK for summer I get a little more. But for what I need my F150 is high enough. I noticed how much clearance is under it compared to the new ones. My 04, 05 and 08, had about half because of the dumb cross member up front for the control arms. Leveling kits are maditory if your using the new stuff even on mild fire roads. Besides airbags and new Monroe shocks, I am leaving the suspension alone. I do have to take off the running boards, and mudflaps however.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Finally got around to fastening down the front of the rack from the original install. Just had a drill a couple holes to let the carriage bolt go thru. Had to use a nut as a spacer because of the height difference. Nice and sturdy now.

Also messed around with my rear wiper motor. Most of the time it doesn't work. I'm not sure that I fixed anything, but here's what I saw (without pictures because my hands were covered in that grease that's inside the motor): the worm gear had "stretched" a few of plastic threads and deformed them slightly. I used a flat blade screwdriver to straighten them and ended up breaking one of the threads. Oops.

I played around with the motor while plugged in and the rear cover off and watched how it works. I noticed the gear seemed to bind up on one side of the housing. I took the plastic gear out and relieved it slightly with my Dremel where I thought it was binding.

I reinstalled it and kept checking the function along the way. It seemed like after each major step of reassembly (putting the cover on, installing the bracket, installing the motor into the hatch) it wouldn't work. But a light wrap on the housing with my ratchet seemed to free it up.

So, all installed, followed by a final wrap on the wiper nut, it works. For how long? Who knows. I'll probably make it to the end of the street.

Here's a pic from the first time I tore this thing apart:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Rear wiper update: doesn't work. Stopped working soon after that last post.

Yesterday I took it out to explore where I thought a trail came up onto a road after it crosses a river from a different trail. I found where it comes out, but there's a gate. This area is in an old (20 year?) forest fire area and the open trails through this area we are lucky to have.

But I had a great time exploring. It was just me and my 2 dogs with zero time commitment to be anywhere.

I did a few totally random trails tryng to connect one side of the map to another. Most of the time I was in 2wd but I did shift into 4lo a couple of times. Unfortunately one route was blocked by a gate indicating private property- but the map showed private property didn't start that far ended up talking to the Ranger and he said they would look into it- but Forest Service Roads that go through private property only do so because the owners grant the easement to allow it. And not all owners grant the easement. The Ranger said that new maps will be published this fall.

And this served as a shake down run for an up coming trip. On Thursday I'll be doing the Rim Rocker Trail. It's a new "trail" that connects Montrose, CO to Moab, UT. It's 160 miles of dirt backroads through remote locations. Agan, it'll be me and my dogs.

justcuz

Explorer
Sounds cool, I would like to see pictures from the new route.

Eventually how do you think your suspension will end up?

The reason I ask is I have installed H2 rear springs in my 2000 Suburban and removed the rear sway bar. I am also installing 3/4 ton torsion bars in front and considering removing the front sway bar too. That would give me about 2" of lift with my 285/75x16 tires should allow enough articulation and clearance to go quite a few places. I have a lock right in the rear of my 2000 Suburban, after my wife blew up the G80 factory LSD/locker and I am happy with it.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Eventually how do you think your suspension will end up?

Probably fairly mild. Maybe a 1-2" coil spring spacer in the rear and torsion bar twist in the front to get it to match. Or leave it completely stock.

Although I said above that I was going to do the Rim Rocker trail in the Expedition, I ended up taking the Explorer. The reason I was considering taking the Expedition was because I was getting the trackbar for the Explorer fabricated and wasn't too sure how long that would take. When it only took a couple hours, I decided to take the Explorer.

I think the Expedition's role is going to be more of a family road trip and family camping vehicle than an offroading overlanding vehicle. A few weeks after I started this thread, I spent 4 glorious days in Moab with my Explorer that rekindled my love of that truck. Taking the heavy Eezi-Awn rack off the Explorer helped with its tippiness. And I'm going to try stiffening up the rear spring pack to further improve it. And look into a better swaybar system to improve it even more. But that's not to say that I'm not going to make the Expedition a little more capable as well. This thread isn't dead, it's just not going to go in the same direction as initially thought.

justcuz

Explorer
Ah too bad! Not for you of course, but for me. I was looking forward to somebody documenting a mild buildup of a first generation Expedition. I still believe in their potential.

As for the Explorer, I believe the Hummer H3 used a Borg Warner T-case. They made one that had a 4-1 reduction ratio for low range. Wether the 4-1 planetary would fit in the Explorer T-case or not is another question, but would certainly be a neat upgrade.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Added an iPad mount to my dash. It's a Ram Mount with a surface mount. Suction cup mounts are OK but it puts the iPad farther away, they aren't as stable and I can't use my sun shade with it stuck to the window. Only the surface mount ball is permanently in place- the arm and iPad holder get removed between trips. I did the same thing in my Explorer and have been very happy.

Also just got back from a 2200 mile trip to a resort near Benton, KY- total road trip. On the way out, I had a few things strapped to my roof rack. I got tossed around pretty good in the insane KS crosswind (with air temp registering as high as 106). Trip MPGs ranged from 10.9 to 15.3. The inverter I added to the rear console was heavily utilized by the kids. Killed LOTS of bugs with the truck. Stopped in Uranus, MO on the way back along the historic Route 66.

There's a fudge factory in Uranus. I can't make this up. It's true.
https://www.facebook.com/UranusfudgeFactoryandGeneralStore/

justcuz

Explorer
Uranus, Missouri, fudge and "Home of the Pirates" as in b*tt pirates? How could you possibly go wrong?
The place is full of double entendres! Your right you can't make any of it up! A case of truth being stranger than fiction.
The fudge factories Facebook page is a riot! The only thing missing is a fudge log!

Wow the wind was strong to kill your mileage 30%.

Looks like a nice trip though.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Decided to take this rig to the mountains to do some pew pew therapy. I went to this area about 18 months ago in my Mariner and this hill wasn't quite this dug out:

The rest of the trail was just slow whoopty-dos. The suspension seemed very soft. I can't help to think that the RS5000 shocks might be too soft for too much of this kind of driving. I guess time will tell how its role develops.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I haven't updated this in awhile, but I've done a couple minor things.

Piled another bunch of miles on it just after New Years. I drove down to Alexandria, LA and back 2 days later. It just soaks up the highway miles. I intended on sleeping in it while I was there but got a hotel room- and glad I did. I don't think I would have gotten near the quality of sleep that I did. The return trip would have been rough operating on 2 nights of crappy sleep.

I added the OSB to the cargo area awhile and finally added some tie downs.

I added 8 of these:

The ones in the center got recessed so if I ever do sleep in it, those won't be digging into my back.

And then I moved all my stuff to a Plano box to keep stuff out of sight and strapped down.

I later moved the box the right side so I can lay the 70% side down for large cargo and still have a rear passenger.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
The rear trailing arms are really the only rusty things on the truck. And going offroad with these doesn't give me a lot of confidence. So I replaced them with some pieces from Supreme Suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz