Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

Zybane

I was curious about the awning too. Kimberley Kruiser makes some good stuff and have been around for a while. I toured a unit when I visited Australia. As for the cheap acrylic windows, it seems just about everyone operating in the under 1/2 mil category uses them.

gregmchugh

Observer
I was curious about the awning too. Kimberley Kruiser makes some good stuff and have been around for a while. I toured a unit when I visited Australia. As for the cheap acrylic windows, it seems just about everyone operating in the under 1/2 mil category uses them.

Our GXV Patagonia has dual pane glass windows and it is in the under 1/2 mil category and available on lower priced models except for maybe the new Adventure Truck that has a molded body.

Last edited:

Zybane

I've been looking more and more at the twoifoverland truck. Would appreciate your guys thoughts on it:

1. Value as priced at $345K.
2. Shipping such a truck from Alaska (lowboy?) and cost to the East coast 48.
3. Anyone with 6x6 off-road experience, M1083 with three open diffs etc and its capabilities.
4. Insight into maintenance costs on this beast.
5. Options list attached and truck build below:

Here's a bit more information on the truck itself:
-We bought it with just over 11,000 miles on it from a CAT dealer.
-We took it to our local CAT dealer and asked them to perform a detailed Inspection on it looking for any leaks, problem hoses, belts, etc. Replaced all recommended items, and had it fully serviced including axles greased, new truck batteries, radiator flushed.
-We took it to our local Allison service center & had them run diags - no issues found.
-Cab Air Conditioner, checked & serviced
These Upgrades were Added / Performed:
-Axles upgraded
-Heui pump replaced, bought 4 year warranty for it
-Cruise Control Added
-Added cab Sound Dampening, 2 types
-Added Headliner with 2 Overhead Lights
-Added Storage compartment at headliner with 2-12v outlets
-Added Rubber flooring with sound dampening
-Added Air Ride Seats
-Added padded Vinyl covered Door Panels
-Added padded Vinyl covered panels in extended cab area
-Added Flip-down cab steps, for easier access
-Replaced headlights with LED
-Added Sunvisors
-Bought spare Wheel & tire
-Steam Cleaned frame & had it blacked out
-Removed several cab metal items, blasted & powdercoated
-Custom Roof Rack, Aluminum, on cab roof
-100g Aluminum Fuel tank added
-Replaced factory fuel tank with 90g Aluminum tank
-Added 50" LED Spot/Flood Combo Lightbar to Roof Rack
-Added Backup camera system
-Added hydronic heat loop to truck engine

Video of truck:

Attachments

• #1604 Build List%2c 7-28-16.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 22

Zybane

I think the only thing it doesn’t suit per your requirements is #7. And your budget......

It does seem like they did quite a bit of work on the cab fortunately. They say they can talk at a normal voice level going down the highway which sounds very promising.

As for price, definitely pushing it but may be able to make it work.

Some of my largest concerns:

1. M1083 long term maintenance. I think this truck has a Cat 3126 in it and not a 3116 or C7 which I think are considered better engines than the 3126.
2. Size too large/limiting. (I think the size is one of the main reasons they are selling)
3. Climb ladder to main cabin door (although it does have folding steps, but when they are out you remove your "drive away" comfort).
4. Getting a small electric motorcycle (under 300lb) in the garage.
5. Light on solar+batteries and would need upgrading at five figure cost.

Zybane

I've spoken to GXV since they are on consignment for this truck. A new Patagonia is $339K base minus truck. So this vehicle is really a ~$400K new build depending on how much you value the highly kitted M1083.

As for living with a 32K lb expedition vehicle, that could be a costly gamble! You always have to wonder why someone is selling something within a couple years...

I haven't spoken to Acela, but the few contacts I looked into in the LMTV world say the locking diffs are becoming very hard to source, if not almost extinct. That has me a bit worried. That would also be another five figure upgrade.

ohiobenz

I'm looking for a self sustaining rig to explore North America. Fitting in shipping containers isn't a concern for me, but I'd like to keep the vehicle 25 feet or less in length. The budget would be $250,000. I am not at all opposed to a good quality used unit.

The requirements:

1. Really good off-road 4x4, rear and front locking differentials, winch, decent approach/departure/breakover angles, 3 point camper mount etc.
2. Have or be able to be modded for large solar+lithium battery bank. Electricity the main power source.
3. Bellow/portal access from cab to camper.
4. Large freshwater/grey tanks, cassette or composting toilet, large diesel fuel tank(s).
5. Must be 0F to 110F capable. Double pane windows, interior or heated tanks and lines. Air conditioning and heater systems that are commensurate with these temps.
6. Parts have to still be available.
7. A vehicle cab that you don't have to put ear plugs in at 65 MPH and doesn't beat you to death.
8. If foreign, must be left hand drive and registerable in the US.

I've been checking Unicat and Expedition truck brokers but haven't found anything that meets my needs yet. What route would you take for $250K?

Right now the A0 models of the Stewart & Stevenson M1079 military 2.5T, with the Command Center boxes are selling reasonably at auctions.
Resellers are picking them up and flipping them at an easy 100% profit with just some minor work.

I picked up my 98 with 3661mi for $8k + $2K for shipping. I see them go for $30-50K all the time.
At that cost you can do a lot of custom things, or get an M1078 truck base, buy a really nice big truck camper and throw it on the bed...
Move the spare unloader and a pass through to the cab is very feasible.
You won't have near $250K in a very nice reliable truck.

Catepillar engine, Allison automatic Transmission, Rockwell axles.. Nothing fancy but all US available parts.
Soundproof the cab, Linex it, insulate it and guys have made them amazingly quiet.

dfs9

We ordered a Global Expedition Vehicle Turtle. Ours should be ready in September. You may be able to get a new stripped down one for $250,000. I know you can get their Adventure Truck fully loaded for $250,000.

dfs9

GXV never replies to emails, they must be swamped with orders! Anyone have experience with them?
We ordered a Global Expedition Vehicle Turtle. Ours should be ready in September. You may be able to get a new stripped down one for $250,000. I know you can get their Adventure Truck fully loaded for $250,000.

Zybane

For my needs, the turtle wouldn't make sense. With no cab-over bed, the total vehicle length to living area ratio is pretty poor. I could put the turtle on a Fuso, but I've basically nixed the Fuso as a platform for my use. Just not enough off-road capability in my research since they've gotten rid of the two speed transfer case.

Even something like a 6x6 M1083 is too limiting to me with open diffs. Whatever I build it needs to have locking differentials, so I am very limited on options.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Comrade ZZYZX:

Please to be sending me aforementioned sum of $250,000 American money small unmarked bills and will be forwarding to you fine low-kilometer Russian 6X6 Russian truck vehicle complete with full tanks fuel, all tools, and one platoon of highly trained Russian Army Spetsnaz soldiers which will do anything you are asking them to for basic diet of food and water and occasional sips vodka.

Regards,

Boris Badenov
Registered expedition truck broker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles