Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

bombermog

I'm looking for a self sustaining rig to explore North America. Fitting in shipping containers isn't a concern for me, but I'd like to keep the vehicle 25 feet or less in length. The budget would be $250,000. I am not at all opposed to a good quality used unit.

The requirements:

1. Really good off-road 4x4, rear and front locking differentials, winch, decent approach/departure/breakover angles, 3 point camper mount etc.
2. Have or be able to be modded for large solar+lithium battery bank. Electricity the main power source.
3. Bellow/portal access from cab to camper.
4. Large freshwater/grey tanks, cassette or composting toilet, large diesel fuel tank(s).
5. Must be 0F to 110F capable. Double pane windows, interior or heated tanks and lines. Air conditioning and heater systems that are commensurate with these temps.
6. Parts have to still be available.
7. A vehicle cab that you don't have to put ear plugs in at 65 MPH and doesn't beat you to death.
8. If foreign, must be left hand drive and registerable in the US.

I've been checking Unicat and Expedition truck brokers but haven't found anything that meets my needs yet. What route would you take for $250K?
Look on Lupo Motors. They are selling my Unimog u500 with a custom camper for $349k. If interested, I am happy to discuss the build.

Paddy

Adventurer
If you plan on having comfort at highway speeds you can eliminate 90% of the rigs discussed in this thread. It’s nice to ponder the cab-over layouts and they are great for maneuverability but there’s a reason you don’t see a lot of them on the interstate. They suck at high speeds. So, a ford truck chassis with whatever on the back is the only option.

I also agree that you should jump in cheap on something built because you’ll learn all this stuff and then decide. I’m on camper build 4.0 now and guess what, it’s a ford chassis. This isn’t Europe or Africa. This is USA and we have BIG distances to cover. My cab over was a real back breaker. My Toyota was a little wimpy rig and my sprinter van was all but perfect, but not 4wd. Hopefullly the ford will have a balance of speed, comfort and capability. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

gregmchugh

Observer
If you plan on having comfort at highway speeds you can eliminate 90% of the rigs discussed in this thread. It’s nice to ponder the cab-over layouts and they are great for maneuverability but there’s a reason you don’t see a lot of them on the interstate. They suck at high speeds. So, a ford truck chassis with whatever on the back is the only option.

I also agree that you should jump in cheap on something built because you’ll learn all this stuff and then decide. I’m on camper build 4.0 now and guess what, it’s a ford chassis. This isn’t Europe or Africa. This is USA and we have BIG distances to cover. My cab over was a real back breaker. My Toyota was a little wimpy rig and my sprinter van was all but perfect, but not 4wd. Hopefullly the ford will have a balance of speed, comfort and capability. YMMV

The Kenworth K370 converted to 4wd used on our GXV Patagonia has a nice ride at 65 mph on the highway (tire max speed limit for the Goodyear G278 tires)...

Last edited by a moderator:

zb39

Adventurer
I have always said the same thing. Thats why My rig is on a RAM 5500, VERY comfortable at speed. My buddy just bought a sprinter with 4wd. VERY COOL.

srqsup

Observer
Why did you switch from an MTV chassis to a pickup style chassis? What were the deciding factors for you?

How did your experience with the MTV platform inform your new platform decision?
Check out our blog twoifoverland.com

jream2008

The Kenworth K370 converted to 4wd used on our GXV Patagonia has a nice ride at 65 mph on the highway (tire max speed limit for the Goodyear G278 tires)...
Hi Greg - when you had the KW converted to 4x4, did they replace the front axle with something a bit more off-road-worthy? From what I can see, it comes stock with one of those upside-down axles that would really kill your clearance. Thanks - Jason

boxcar1

boxcar1
Zybane .[/QUOTE]Everyone's definition of an expedition vehicle is different. But I think at the very top is large water carrying capacity. Most lightweight truck campers like yours have only 20-40 gal water tanks. That would eliminate it from consideration at the very onset.[/QUOTE]
Wow! I have always thought the fuel capacity was far more of a qualifier than water. I can and do ration water, I carry 2 water purification systems on my rig and am capable of carrying 40 gal in the tank and as many external cans as needed. I have never seen a portable fuel refinery or drilling rig that will fit in an expo.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yep, big water tanks are for newbs. Water filtration is the way to go. Any decent lake or stream will do.

srqsup

Observer
I read it, I didn’t see this question adressed about a pickup chassis preference, just that you wanted a smaller rig
We chose the Ram 5500 over the F550 for several reasons. I think the 6.7 cummins is a better motor. I am not a fan of the 6.7 Powerstroke at all, however, I love the 7.3 Powerstroke and if Ford brought that motor back then the chassis choice would be simple. I have a 2003 F250 with the 7.3 motor and absolutely love it. Additionally, Ford requires the body to be lifted of the chassis for some repairs and that would mean removal and disassembly of the cabin and thus is not acceptable. Lastly, if we decide to travel south of the border deleting the DEF is easier on the Dodge then the Ford.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
srq,
It looks like you are settled in with the Cummins/5500. One issue that I've been mulling over with this thread is frame flexibility as regards to using a 3 or 4 point subframe so as not to pull the camper body apart.
Has Ford changed their frame rigidity in the last 15 years?
When I was working through what truck platform to get for my Lance, I found that Ford had the most flexibility compared to Dodge or Chevy. What I found was the hydro formed frame Dodge used on their 2001-2002, 3 to 5 series trucks was the least flexible and thus not requiring a separate 3-point subframe. Chevy is very close if not the same according to Jack. Flex is exacerbated with a long wheel base, so I bought a short bed truck knowing it would be more difficult to find a suitable camper box but easier on tight turns in the wild. My bro has a long bed, 1999 Ford 7.3/6 speed/9.5 OUTFITTER! and he has to double or triple pump the same turns I do in one pop. Those pesky front leaf springs are part of the problem as is the longer w.b.
jefe

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Chassis cab Fords are boxed front, C channel rear frame. The F250/350 fully boxed frame is too rigid for the big trucks, and a pita to mount boxes to. People wanted stffer frames, Ford provided. I don't agree with it, but the ride is nicer.

Ever see a flat bed truck split it's frame in half on a lift? Thats often because they bolted the flat bed down too well and eliminated frame flex. So the frame only flexes between the cab and bed. Splits like a sheet of folded paper eventually.

Spring mounting campers kinda stinks, but works.

gregmchugh

Observer
Hi Greg - when you had the KW converted to 4x4, did they replace the front axle with something a bit more off-road-worthy? From what I can see, it comes stock with one of those upside-down axles that would really kill your clearance. Thanks - Jason

Standard front drive axle with clearance at the differential similar to the rear axle. Two speed transfer case. Goodyear G278 tires in the 425 size but you can go a size larger with the G278.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles