Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

uzj100

Adventurer
Where / how can we purchase expedition7 gear, t-shirts, hats and stickers? Want to show some support for one of the coolest expedition trips ever.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Where / how can we purchase expedition7 gear, t-shirts, hats and stickers? Want to show some support for one of the coolest expedition trips ever.

We are working on some cool shirts. When they are ready we will post them up here.

Cheers

LateNate

Adventurer
Heading through MO?

I saw on the video that you guys will be shooting East across the US from Moab. Any chance you will be heading through Missouri. The Ozarks is a beautiful place to visit!

Sergio Castro F

Congratulations for such an adventorous and long trip, for sure it will be fantastic, but I have some questions, why an VDJ-78 ? It s a LHD and use an engine used only in Australia and New Zealand. According to your map Namibia and Australia uses LHD vehicles, rest of the trip is RHD. The V8 D4D as I mentioned before is sold only in certains countries where the diesel fuel has good quality. Why you didn t choose the RHD HZJ 78. On the other hand, there´s a lot of territory in South America and Africa that is not in your plans for a two years trip.
Have a nice and regarding trip.....

haven

Expedition Leader
Sergio,

The vehicles chosen are built to New Zealand standards. So they do have the driver's position on the right side.

I agree that the team's route leaves off much of South America and Africa. I think the Silk Road routes deserved more consideration, too. But there's only so much you can do in 2 years.

Scott Brady

Founder
RHD or LHD has proven to be irrelevant from a driving perspective - well, unless you spend a lot of time in drive throughs. I drive a RHD nearly every day. Our J8 is RHD, the LJ78 is RHD, as are the VDJ78s. However, there are a few countries that do not permit entry of RHD, none of which are on our route. We do field the question of "why the VDJ78?" The easy answer is the motor - I cannot overstate what a pleasure it is to drive.

We are covering a nice chunk of Africa - the stuff we want to see.

The current plan is to drive the trucks back up the Panamerican in South America after completing the route to Ushuaia.

Scott Brady

Founder
We did some testing and playing around with the 78s in Utah. Heavy trucks for sure, but it was impressive what we could get through, even at nearly 8,000 lbs.

E7_NA_ExPo_2 (1).jpg

E7_NA_ExPo_3 (1).jpg

E7_NA_ExPo_5 (1).jpg

Without question, these truck need the cross-axle diff locks. The Jeep J8, with only a rear LSD would own these trucks on the trail. I would give the performance edge to the VDJ78 over a 110 (they are not available from the factory with cross-axle diff locks) It is an interesting comparison.

I am really starting to love these trucks, especially the sleeping configuration. I can literally crawl in the back and be asleep in 5 min.

discotdi

Adventurer
I think the 110 with centre diff lock, ETC, and the fantastic anti stall technology would make up for the lack of cross axle diff lock. :snorkel:

Sergio Castro F

I´m totally agree with you about the irrelevant from driving RHD or LHD, when you drive in trails,open spaces or interstates, but to drive in a narrow road with a lot of trucks, people, carts and animals is quite a challenging and sometimes a dangerous drive, and even more if the road is in mountain ranges and you need to pass any of the before mentioned things, not to mention the drive throughs. About the motor you are right, nothing sounds better than a V8, only hope you have good luck whith those high sulfur fuels of the third world.
RHD or LHD has proven to be irrelevant from a driving perspective - well, unless you spend a lot of time in drive throughs. I drive a RHD nearly every day. Our J8 is RHD, the LJ78 is RHD, as are the VDJ78s. However, there are a few countries that do not permit entry of RHD, none of which are on our route. We do field the question of "why the VDJ78?" The easy answer is the motor - I cannot overstate what a pleasure it is to drive.

We are covering a nice chunk of Africa - the stuff we want to see.

The current plan is to drive the trucks back up the Panamerican in South America after completing the route to Ushuaia.

2wheelbob

Adventurer
Scott,

Thanks for gracing my 100 series Land Cruiser with your presence yesterday. It was an honor to meet you and spend time talking about travels. Wishing you the best on your trip.

Bob and Amy (and Iris and Daisy dawgs)

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, I look forward to the stories and media. Say hi to our friends in Maputo, Mozambique. And be sure to check out Kruger national park - it is amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles