Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Landroverholic

Observer
Are you sharing gear between both trucks or do you have both set up to be completely independent of each other?

On your build thread and by the looks of your photos your COG must be really low and from the outside the trucks almost look empty.

Have you actually afforded yourself any concessions towards luxury or have you pared things down to a minimum in the interests of reducing vehicle stress?

Cal

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
We will be in AU early November and probably stay through January.

You and the vehicles will be up for a challenge with the Canning Stock Route at that time of year. Average temps for those months: 100 Deg F (38 Deg C) and highest rainfall time of year 1.5 to 6 in (37 to 150 mm, highest during January).\

Should be a challenging route!

Out of interest, have you sorted out a fuel drop yet?

Cheers,
P

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Really liked the Alaska pics, Ray looked so totally relaxed up there.
Keep up the great report and hope you have interesting but safe passage.........subscribed.

Murph.

grimbo

Explorer
You and the vehicles will be up for a challenge with the Canning Stock Route at that time of year. Average temps for those months: 100 Deg F (38 Deg C) and highest rainfall time of year 1.5 to 6 in (37 to 150 mm, highest during January).\

Should be a challenging route!

Out of interest, have you sorted out a fuel drop yet?

Cheers,
P

That was my first thoughts as well, yikes it will be exceptionally hot and potentially wet in the northern reaches.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
It would be a safe bet to say the route across Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois will be some of the boring-est driving of the trip :smiley_drive:

There are definitely some Expedition-Worthy activities - just have to know where to look :) Here's a good resource:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/

Here a sampling of each state mentioned:

Largest Ball of Stamps in Nebraska:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11487

Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk in Iowa:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2081

Superman's Hometown in Illinois:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2090

David Harris

Expedition Leader
They are nearly three tons from the factory. Add bumpers, people, gear and water, and you are at four. We are still under GVWR - HD trucks for sure

Made to take a beating daily and last a long, long time. . . You're going to need a few years with a good chiropractor when you return from around the world on that suspension though. . .

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder

It all really depends on how quickly we can get the trucks to Darwin from Vladivostok. Our current schedule has us shipping at the end of September, so we could conceivably run the stock route in late October, which would be far more ideal, weather-wise. After running the Canning Stock, we turn south and drive to Melbourne, which is pleasant that time of year. I will probably spend Dec. (and my 40th birthday) on Tasmania.

howell_jd

Adventurer
I look forward to the forthcoming articles in Overland Journal. They will definitely be a source of great wanderlust during my "beach" trip...well it will be hot and sandy and "attitude dictates altitude" sometimes. Enjoy the ride! Best wishes for safe journeys and plentiful exciting moments, E7!

Jonathan

Containerized

Adventurer
I second jham's remark - reach out if you need help in East Africa. Can help you in with contacts Kenya, TZ, Ethiopia, or here in Uganda.

Containerized

Adventurer
Scott, go to Mona when you're in Hobart (Tasmania). I went in pretty skeptical, but the architecture alone (the whole structure is underground) is an engineering masterpiece I think you'd appreciate. The restaurant there is excellent, as well - and, coincidentally, where I celebrated my birthday this year.

grimbo

Explorer
Will have to keep an eye out for you when you hit Melbourne again.

Are you going to go through the Victorian High Country while there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles