Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
I second jham's remark - reach out if you need help in East Africa. Can help you in with contacts Kenya, TZ, Ethiopia, or here in Uganda.

Thank you, much appreciated. We are bringing the trucks into Kenya from Melbourne, AU. I suspect sometime around March or April.

I do want to visit Ethiopia, but probably on the next trip (on a moto). I am looking to do the Middle East to Egypt and down to Kenya on a moto in late 2014 or early 2015.

Scott Brady

Founder
Will have to keep an eye out for you when you hit Melbourne again.

Are you going to go through the Victorian High Country while there?

We are currently leaning towards the Canning Stock, then the Great Barrier Reef (on a sailboat for my 40th) and then down to Melbourne. I plan to have the trucks serviced there and a few replacement items installed (like tires). I will leave the VDJ78s in Melbourne and take a GU Patrol down to Tasmania.

Landroverholic

Observer
If you give us a call when you get to Tasmania I'll be happy to show you some of the more remote areas on 'the road less travelled'.

I have had a few people suggest that it won't be a good idea to be in Vladivostok in September due to the APEC summit taking place. I have even been told by my shipping contact that ships will not be allowed to enter the port while the conference is on. We aim to try to have the Landrover in a container and all paperwork done as early in September as possible. Otherwise we might have to stay a month longer than planned in Russia by which time winter should be happening.
Difficult to know how it will all work out until we get there I guess.

Are you driving the Road of Bones in both directions and taking in the summer and winter routes or are you shipping from Magadan to Vladivostok. I looked at that but could not find anything reliable via the internet.

Happy travels

Callum

Scott Brady

Founder
I have had a few people suggest that it won't be a good idea to be in Vladivostok in September due to the APEC summit taking place.

This is interesting. We are planning to arrive in Magadan at the end of September where part of the crew will leave and a few drivers and a translator will continue on to Vlad. Given the summit situation, we might just ship out of Magadan. We also have a little wiggle-room on moving the Road of Bones schedule up.

I have a few solid contacts on the ground in Vlad, so I will ping them for some feedback.

Landroverholic

Observer
Scott

If you can find reliable shipping out of Magadan to Melbourne I would be greatful if you could PM me with details as I have come up blank in my searches.

Will keep you posted on the Vlad situation as I find out more.

Cheers

Callum

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott

If you can find reliable shipping out of Magadan to Melbourne I would be greatful if you could PM me with details as I have come up blank in my searches.

Will keep you posted on the Vlad situation as I find out more.

So far, any route to AU requires a ship transfer, primarily in Vlad, but also in South Korea. We are dialing options and pricing now. We might also have half a 40' to fill ;)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
It all really depends on how quickly we can get the trucks to Darwin from Vladivostok. Our current schedule has us shipping at the end of September, so we could conceivably run the stock route in late October, which would be far more ideal, weather-wise. After running the Canning Stock, we turn south and drive to Melbourne, which is pleasant that time of year. I will probably spend Dec. (and my 40th birthday) on Tasmania.

Very good, I'll keep an eye on this thread to monitor progress. I'm hoping to have lots of spare time on my hands by November... Tasmania would be nice as well. Get there soon to see the 4WD tracks and remote areas soon, there has been significant pressure to close off tracks and wilderness areas to 4WD's in recent times.

Safe travels.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I agree on the "in use" pics....the build article was very interesting and kudos to Adventure Trailers for the hard work.
For me though the real value is seeing the rigs in regular camp life after things get settled in..how the sleeping area gets laid out, cooking, storage and such after life on the road teaches it's lessons.

The shots of the rig & areas around it are really cool but for those of use who want to learn some lessons it is good to get more detail of how things function.

skybluebumpers

I am freaking jealous of the trip and adventures you will experience. Thank you for keeping us posted and allowing a few of us "desk jockeys" to travel along with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles